Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark owner with questions

Vince R

Join
Apr 20, 2019
Hi, my name is Vince. My yuneec Breeze 4k landed in a lake a few weeks ago so Instead of buying another one, I purchased a Spark controller combo from SAMS CLUB. I got the last one in the store and it came with an extra battery for $229.00. I then went to best buy and got another battery for $50. My concern is that all 3 batteries were manufactured in June of 2017. They were all completely discharged but I was able to charge and update the software. Does anyone know if the age of these batteries will affect their life span? I was considering returning the best buy battery because it was only purchased a couple days ago.

I have seen post that people are still using 2017 batteries. Charge em up and do some safe safe test flights like just hover about 5 feet high until the battery gets low. Time it. As for a battery from Best Buy I prefer buying newer things. I’d return it and buy a battery from DJI same price. Great price on the Spark.

I have seen post that people are still using 2017 batteries. Charge em up and do some safe safe test flights like just hover about 5 feet high until the battery gets low. Time it. As for a battery from Best Buy I prefer buying newer things. I’d return it and buy a battery from DJI same price. Great price on the Spark.
Thanks for replying Dave. I have made 3 flights each with both of the batteries that came with the controller package and they both lasted about 12 minutes each with video recording the whole flight. I still had 25 percent life left upon landing. Im gonna call best buy and speak to a manager to see if they will discount the battery if decided to keep it.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Vince R.

I've had my Spark since July 2017 with 3, then 6, and now 9 batteries of the old design, all manufactured in June 2017 and I haven't had a problem with them.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

DJI recommends fully charging the batteries every 3 months when not in use. Yours were discharged and dormant for almost 2 years in Best Buy's inventory. No way to now how much they were compromised but new ones would obviously be a better choice.

Of greater concern is that June 2017 manufacture date would be generation one batteries with the faulty lock mechanism. DJI never recalled them but they quickly changed the design when batteries started to fall out midflight.

Instead of asking for a retroactive price discount I'd return them in favor of fresh gen 2 batteries. Definitely

Reactions: Spark 317
DJI recommends fully charging the batteries every 3 months when not in use. Yours were discharged and dormant for almost 2 years in Best Buy's inventory. No way to now how much they were compromised but new ones would obviously be a better choice.

Of greater concern is that June 2017 manufacture date would be generation one batteries with the faulty lock mechanism. DJI never recalled them but they quickly changed the design when batteries started to fall out midflight.

Instead of asking for a retroactive price discount I'd return them in favor of fresh gen 2 batteries. Definitely
Thanks for the info Andre. Im gonna order the battery locks for the batteries that came with the spark combo package and I'm returning the best buy one.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Can I ask how you ID a 2nd gen battery? I shall be out in Best Buyland next month and was going to buy a couple (or at Target). My batteries (2) came with my Best Buy purchased Fly More Combo last April 2018. One of them fell off in flight in August last year and I now fly with a battery strap (most of the time ie when I can be bothered)!!

Can I ask how you ID a 2nd gen battery? I shall be out in Best Buyland next month and was going to buy a couple (or at Target). My batteries (2) came with my Best Buy purchased Fly More Combo last April 2018. One of them fell off in flight in August last year and I now fly with a battery strap (most of the time ie when I can be bothered)!!

I don't think you can tell when purchasing one without physically looking at it.

Here is a picture showing the difference in the tabs that help secure the battery to the Spark.

Screenshot_20180515-151610.jpg

Note the extra material in the tab in the top picture compaired to the tab in the bottom.

I have been flying for two years with nine batteries of the old design and they haven't failed me yet.

I do the Plug n' Tug on each battery change.

I sometimes use a rubber O ring restraint JIC.

Reactions: TrevorSpark
I don't think you can tell when purchasing one without physically looking at it.

Here is a picture showing the difference in the tabs that help secure the battery to the Spark.

View attachment 9634

Note the extra material in the tab in the top picture compaired to the tab in the bottom.

I have been flying for two years with nine batteries of the old design and they haven't failed me yet.

I do the Plug n' Tug on each battery change.

I sometimes use a rubber O ring restraint JIC.
Is there any chance of seeing a picture of your O ring restraint set up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran