Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark pilot in Berkshire UK

Howler

Join
Oct 6, 2017
Loc
Berkshire UK
Hi all, only had my Spark a couple of days, so only just setting up before my first flight.
I thought my first flight was going to be where model rc aircraft fly not far from me but on checking their website I find no drones/uav’s Allowed!
So I got in touch with the local Windsor & Maidenhead council to find a local park I might use, according to the person I spoke to, all parks/land they hold are no fly zones, although at the moment there is nothing in writing, when I pointed out that if there was no legislation on the books that I would’nt be breaking any local bye-laws;) he said “ any one found doing so would be asked to leave the area:eek:.
It looks as though I will have search a wider field before I can take to the sky’s

Welcome to Spark Pilots! :)

Welcome to the Spark family! Fly safe and have fun! We have some metroparks here in Ohio USA that are the same way, they are all NFZ's unless you have a permit to fly there.

Hi all, only had my Spark a couple of days, so only just setting up before my first flight.
I thought my first flight was going to be where model rc aircraft fly not far from me but on checking their website I find no drones/uav’s Allowed!
So I got in touch with the local Windsor & Maidenhead council to find a local park I might use, according to the person I spoke to, all parks/land they hold are no fly zones, although at the moment there is nothing in writing, when I pointed out that if there was no legislation on the books that I would’nt be breaking any local bye-laws;) he said “ any one found doing so would be asked to leave the area:eek:.
It looks as though I will have search a wider field before I can take to the sky’s
Hi, I live not far from you in Surrey (near Staines) and am having exactly the same problem finding somewhere to fly. Runnymede, a large open space, is close by but because it's owned by National Trust it's a no go area for drones. Most promising opportunity so far is Richmond Park which has a dedicated model aircraft flying area where drones have been seen. I've been there but not with my drone yet. Let's face it, with Heathrow in the area, we're not in the best drone-flying part of the country. Hope you find somewhere. Let me know if you do. :)

Hi Londoner, Richmond Park is a Royal Park so comes under Crown Estate? So there is no flying with in its boundary’s just like Windsor Great Park. With in WGP there is an RC flying club but drones are forbidden to fly there!
Yes if I find some where i’ll Let you know ;)
Ps
I found this on Richmond Park Diary dated February 2015

“Drones

Drones are remote controlled aeroplanes, helicopters or other flying models often fitted with a camera. They have become very affordable in recent years and their popularity has increased. The use of drones and remote controlled flying models is ONLY permitted on the Flying Field in Richmond Park. Additional laws relating to privacy and photography also apply to drones. Uncontrolled model rockets are not permitted and national aviation law requires models to be under 20KG, not to drop article or animals from aircraft, to be seen at all times and flown safely, remain below 400 ft and stay at least 50m from people, vehicles and structures.”
Whether this still applies I do not know?

Regards

Reactions: Jimmy Kavanagh
Hi Londoner, Richmond Park is a Royal Park so comes under Crown Estate? So there is no flying with in its boundary’s just like Windsor Great Park. With in WGP there is an RC flying club but drones are forbidden to fly there!
Yes if I find some where i’ll Let you know ;)
Ps
I found this on Richmond Park Diary dated February 2015

“Drones

Drones are remote controlled aeroplanes, helicopters or other flying models often fitted with a camera. They have become very affordable in recent years and their popularity has increased. The use of drones and remote controlled flying models is ONLY permitted on the Flying Field in Richmond Park. Additional laws relating to privacy and photography also apply to drones. Uncontrolled model rockets are not permitted and national aviation law requires models to be under 20KG, not to drop article or animals from aircraft, to be seen at all times and flown safely, remain below 400 ft and stay at least 50m from people, vehicles and structures.”
Whether this still applies I do not know?

Regards
Hi Howler. Yes, I believe Richmond Park flying is only permitted within that small area (it shows up on Google Maps, btw). However, a couple of people over on MavicPilots have flown their Mavics there without incident so I assume something as small as the Spark should have no problems. :)

You just have to use a bit of imagination and also realise that in the UK people do not own the airspace otherwise you could stop light aircraft, gliders, balloons etc from going over your house.

So places like Windsor Great Park etc. can stop you launching from their grounds but they do not own the airspace. Take a look at the NATS map which shows where you can really fly (within the CAA guidelines of separation from people and property). So the key issue in our area is the London TMA, however the Spark is below 7kg and the CAA guidelines are less that 400ft so most of the area is actually ok to fly the spark.

At Runnymede for example, the National Trust do not own the Runnymede Pleasure Gardens and also the public footpath through the pleasure gardens. On a week day you could launch a Spark out from here and keep the requisite distance from people, particularly if you went out over the river. Most people would not even see a Spark. There are plenty of small parks and places which are empty of people and have a public path etc. meaning you can launch, the key being public. A lot of land is of course private.

Thanks, @Martin Lines. You live in the area?

I've looked at the Pleasure grounds but it's normally seething with people - at least during the summer months. Might be getting quieter around now. Also, there are parts of Runnymede where almost no one goes so I'd be surprised if flying a small drone would attract any attention.

I’m actually over at Hampton Court tomorrow and in particular Hampton Wick so i’ll Look see if there is any signage or i’ll ask around.
I entered Richmond Park at Sheen Gate, where there's a car park. The Flying Ground is directly south of that. I didn't notice any signs while I was there, just a group of people flying model aircraft.

Just fly man within the law, If they ask you to leave then fly from the car park or outside of the park area. You still get then to fly over the park and have no jurisdiction over you, if your not on their premises they are 'guarding'.

Sorry for the late reply, had man flu......!
Thai Tastic, unfortunately the car parks are on their land and most of the land in this area belongs to the Crown & if not them then the Royal Borough Councl does and they have a no fly policy on all of their parks/land.

Reactions: Thai Tastic.com
You just have to use a bit of imagination and also realise that in the UK people do not own the airspace otherwise you could stop light aircraft, gliders, balloons etc from going over your house.

So places like Windsor Great Park etc. can stop you launching from their grounds but they do not own the airspace. Take a look at the NATS map which shows where you can really fly (within the CAA guidelines of separation from people and property). So the key issue in our area is the London TMA, however the Spark is below 7kg and the CAA guidelines are less that 400ft so most of the area is actually ok to fly the spark.

At Runnymede for example, the National Trust do not own the Runnymede Pleasure Gardens and also the public footpath through the pleasure gardens. On a week day you could launch a Spark out from here and keep the requisite distance from people, particularly if you went out over the river. Most people would not even see a Spark. There are plenty of small parks and places which are empty of people and have a public path etc. meaning you can launch, the key being public. A lot of land is of course private.

Hello Martin,
I live in Windsor and as a newbie within the Drone World, I'm reluctant to simply go out and fly the drone without knowing for sure I can fly there (almost paranoid actually... hehehe).
I don`t want to get a ticket or even get arrested.
I was thinking exactly the same spot that you`ve mentioned on the Runnymede.
Pleasure Gdns would be the space next to the river, right? How about the other side of the road on the extension of the Magna Carta?
Do you know anywhere else around the Windsor area I could go?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Rgds,
FSX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex