Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

NFZ and Gesture No More

Scottalmas

Join
Mar 11, 2019
I used to be able to use my Spark at my golf course in Gesture Mode without any problem (no RC or phone at all - as opposed to flying in Normal Mode and switching to Gesture within the app). Then, I tried to fly it with the controller and received a message that I was in a NFZ and could not operate the Spark. Now I don't seem to be able to go back to pure Gesture mode again. This is a real bummer as a major reason for getting the Spark was for selfies, etc. while golfing.

Did the problem present itself because I tried to use the app, whereas if I had only ever used pure Gesture mode, the Spark would never have "known" I was in an NFZ?

Is there anything that can be done at this point?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I used to be able to use my Spark at my golf course in Gesture Mode without any problem (no RC or phone at all - as opposed to flying in Normal Mode and switching to Gesture within the app). Then, I tried to fly it with the controller and received a message that I was in a NFZ and could not operate the Spark. Now I don't seem to be able to go back to pure Gesture mode again. This is a real bummer as a major reason for getting the Spark was for selfies, etc. while golfing.

Did the problem present itself because I tried to use the app, whereas if I had only ever used pure Gesture mode, the Spark would never have "known" I was in an NFZ?

Is there anything that can be done at this point?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

It could be a temporary NFZ.
They pop up all the time.
PM me your location and I can have a look at AirMap and other apps to see what is going on.

I am near a small airport and an airbase.

UPDATE

I sent an email at 530am New York time this morning (Sunday) to [email protected] describing my situation. I got a response almost immediately asking for the coordinates of the area I want to fly and my controller SN. Within an 2 hours DJI generated a license for me to override the restriction. It was easy to load onto the aircraft and I think I am all set. I will have to go to the location to try it out but I am very optimistic and impressed with the service from DJI.

I will update this thread after I try it out.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67