Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Night Flying

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
Do any of you do any night flying with your Spark, just for fun, not trying to shoot anything? I'm finding I can easily double my vlos with the front LED lights on. Love flying sport mode in a country field on a calm night! It's like every care in the world just leaves you. Wouldn't try it if I wasn't completely familiar with the area though and low to no wind. Also curious about anyone outside Canada or the U.S., is night flying legal where you are?

Last edited:
Totally get the point you are trying to make but just as you guessed, night flying is not legal in some countries. I love night photography and it's a pity that night flying is not legal in Japan.

Reactions: RotorWash
I do a decent amount of night flying as a hobbyist in the US - it's legal as a hobbyist in the US. I use 3 rechargeable Strobon Cree strobe lights from Amazon, mounted on cheap landing gear (I remove for day flights). I cut the skids off since the photo below to save weight and drag when flying. I can actually see these clearly nearly 3 miles out on Spark. I also use the lights on my Autel EVO (not on landing gear) and could see them from 4 miles away (obviously don't usually fly that far out, but did as a test to see if I could maintain vlos).
20190201_091746.jpg

Very interesting setup you have there. Wow, 3-4miles, that's amazing! Does the added weight make much if any difference in how the Spark flies?

A safety tip for night flying, do a reconnaissance mission during the day time and look for potential hazards such as utility wires, branches, antennas, guy wires, etc. if taking pictures of a structure.

Don't want to end up like this...

20180707_124017.jpg

That may be worse than the kite drone eating tree.

I have flown at dusk a few times, but for me, its about the camera, and the Spark just isn't a night bird in that respect. (okay its possible but not pretty).

I would love to find a strobe that improved daytime VLOS... everything I have seen so far is mediocre in sunlight.

I do a decent amount of night flying as a hobbyist in the US - it's legal as a hobbyist in the US. I use 3 rechargeable Strobon Cree strobe lights from Amazon, mounted on cheap landing gear (I remove for day flights). I cut the skids off since the photo below to save weight and drag when flying. I can actually see these clearly nearly 3 miles out on Spark. I also use the lights on my Autel EVO (not on landing gear) and could see them from 4 miles away (obviously don't usually fly that far out, but did as a test to see if I could maintain vlos).

How does this setup look in daylight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh