Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No RSSI - should I send Spark back to DJI?

shegeek72

Join
Apr 20, 2018
I get no RSSI readings when flying the Spark. It's been like that since I got it. I contacted DJI support and they recommended sending it back. Before I send it back and am without the Spark for two weeks is there anything that could be causing the lack of RSSI? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1642lr.jpg
    IMG_1642lr.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I don't get any either if I connect to the controller, I only get that if I connect to the drone directly.

Reactions: shegeek72
I don't get any either if I connect to the controller, I only get that if I connect to the drone directly.

That sounds right. The several times I've contacted DJI support they seemed clueless.

Well it's an easy thing to prove/disprove.
I've not had the pleasure of experiencing DJI support yet.

For me the same, but I'm not doing it and flying. No trouble - yet. However, I would like to welcome some explanation.
I use dji 4.1.15 and OTG

I think it's the app version in combination with whether you are connecting via OTG or not. I did some experiments, I have two app versions, the red icon one from here that I use for flying all the time, and an older blue icon one that I think was the original "put it in fcc mode hack" 4.1.3 is the version according to the about dialogue, so...

Connecting directly to the spark via wifi on 2.4:
4.1.3 Blue Icon - works fine, reports rssi fine.
4.1.15 Red Icon - as OP, works fine but no rssi reported.

Connecting to spark via remote, with OTG cable on 5.8g, didn't try 2.4:
4.1.3 Blue Icon - works fine but no rssi reported
4.1.15 Red Icon - works fine but no rssi reported

Connecting to spark via remote, via wifi (phone to remote 2.4, remote to spark 5.8):
4.1.3 Blue Icon - works fine, reports rssi fine.
4.1.15 Red Icon - works fine, but no rssi reported.

When I say works fine, I mean the craft flies ok.

So for me, it's a case of there is something in the app that is either preventing the data being reported, or shown, another thing I've noticed is randomly within the app some icons won't show, the one that happens most is sphere mode in photo mode, but if I tap on where the icon should be, it switches into that mode no problem, maybe this is related?

Another thing I've noticed is that until a home point is set, the red arrow on my map is always somewhere in the middle of Kazakhstan, I assume the red arrow is where the aircraft thinks it is, might this explain fly always when people take off without setting a home point? Poor little Sparky thinks his home point is Kazakhstan so when he looses connection, he looses his shyte and bounds off in an eastern direction never to be seen again because home point is Kazakhstan, not where you are standing?

I do not use any official release app from DJI, so if someone wants to repeat these tests with one, feel free, we can compare note.

But imho, it's a bug in the app and nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Oh sorry, all the above was done with 4.1.15 and 4.1.13, have corrected it.

I must apologise and clarify, I'm new to this, the above tests were completed with 4.1.3 and 4.1.15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar