Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Not one fly away event.

heinzpilot

Join
Feb 28, 2019
Hello. I don't post here much, just read the posts. However I decided to post a comment related to Spark fly aways. I have been flying a Mavic pro for several years with no issues. About 8 months ago I baught a Spark just to fly for fun. I always follow a set of pre-flight guidelines before I fly. Check the props, secure the battery, use a OGT cable with my iPad mini, check the signal, ect. By following these procedures I have not had one issue. I have been very happy with the Spark. I have taken it many places around the country. I have a PArt 107 certificate and use Airmap for my authorizations when flying in airspace that requires it. It seems like there are many fly-away stories posted here and I always wonder why there are so many. But my experience has been very good overall with my Spark. A ver fun little drone. Happy Flying.

I can agree with you I always do my pre flight and make sure the IMU and sensors are good. Wait for GPS lock then take off. I only have one issue during a flight I lost GPS signal and had to flight it back using VLS and the map on the controller. But since have discover that that spot is a dead zone for all gps devices so now it use it for training to keep my flying skills up to par so not to relie on the drone to keep control.

Same here. The pre-flight checklist is essential. Especially with respect to the environment in which you choose to fly. Weather/Wind conditions are far more risky for the spark compared to the larger Mavics. As I like to say, don't throw caution to the wind!

I think 98% of fly-aways are avoidable human error situations. I tend to fly in rural areas, so perhaps I am safer than those trying in urban wifi jungles.

Yes, agree. I have had one near miss. Possibly human error as well.

I went canoeing in Sweden for 2 weeks last year and took the Spark with me. My hope was to get some awesome shots, for which I did, however on a few occasions the Spark reported 'magnetic interference, compass error' on the controls and I would then have to battle with it to try and land it safely (Heart in Mouth). On the one occasion it flew off onto the opposite side of the lake I was flying. Luckily, my friend who was on that side managed to catch the drone as it was descending into some rocks. Very lucky indeed. I did not fly the drone after this in fear of losing it.

Anyway, I visited Fueteventura in June this year and took my Spark again. On the 1st flight I got the same error on the screen, 'magnetic interference, compass error', I thought 'oh no, not again' but this time it advised me to calibrate the compass. I did this and did not have any issues after this. Although it was so windy there at times that most drone flights were cancelled. ? Anyhow, I am guessing here, but maybe there was an update to the drone since my Sweden trip last August that actually prompts the pilot to calibrate the compass if it has this issue?

So the lesson here may be, if you travel overseas, calibrate your compass! At the time I did not think of this as a possible cause of my problem. I thought I would share this with you.

Hello. I don't post here much, just read the posts. However I decided to post a comment related to Spark fly aways. I have been flying a Mavic pro for several years with no issues. About 8 months ago I baught a Spark just to fly for fun. I always follow a set of pre-flight guidelines before I fly. Check the props, secure the battery, use a OGT cable with my iPad mini, check the signal, ect. By following these procedures I have not had one issue. I have been very happy with the Spark. I have taken it many places around the country. I have a PArt 107 certificate and use Airmap for my authorizations when flying in airspace that requires it. It seems like there are many fly-away stories posted here and I always wonder why there are so many. But my experience has been very good overall with my Spark. A ver fun little drone. Happy Flying.

Pilot inexperience plays a major role in mishaps with entry level (beginner) drones.

You started out with a Mavic Pro and flew that for several years. So you were already a very experienced pilot when you got your Spark. That's a huge advantage. :)

For the vast majority of pilots the Spark is their very first drone so there inevitably more pilot errors. After spending more time on this forum you will notice how many bad stories start with “I’ve only had a few fights with my new Spark and I already crashed/lost it”.

Reactions: RotorWash
I don't have experience with a more expensive drone, yet, but I enjoy my spark. It sometimes has surprised me, like suddenly getting a compass error or loosing contact with all 21 satellites, but I've always gotten it back. Only once did I have to cross a flooded stream. The ninny flying it decided to turn it around and fly it back instead of leaving it pointed the way it was and just backing it toward myself himself and got disoriented and wound up in the brush on the wrong side of the stream. There's a video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis