Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Offer I shouldn’t refuse?

Mr Dave NJ

Join
Jun 21, 2018
Loc
Northwest New Jersey
A verizon store said I qualify for a free Samsung Tab E ipad. It’s cellular and will cost me $10.00 more a month on my bill for the wi-fi. Also one time charge of $40.00 activation fee. We checked the Samsung and there is a DJI Go ap. My question is should I take the offer? I will have to buy some sort of mount for my controller. I currently use Iphone 6 plus that slips into RC. Two reasons why I’m interested. Larger screen also with larger screen I understand lower right side of screen (as the radar on left) will show me a line of my flight path to follow back to where I am. Is this true? I read that smaller screens don’t show this feature. Anyone use this Ipad to give advice? My main interest is that flight line leaving a trail to follow back with my Spark.

My main interest is that flight line leaving a trail to follow back with my Spark.

I think with the smaller screen if you tap the map box it changes the map view and/or to the attitude screen?

You will get both (map,attitude) screens on a larger display.

There's not enough room on a small screen to display both but are probably available.

Not worth it to me to pay $40 plus $10 a month... You can buy a tablet or ipad on craigslist for cheaper and not be stuck with a monthly payment

Reactions: mano
Not worth it to me to pay $40 plus $10 a month... You can buy a tablet or ipad on craigslist for cheaper and not be stuck with a monthly payment

Exactly...$40 down and $10 a month is far from "free"...and you do not need internet service to fly with.

Reactions: lmel2005
Exactly...$40 down and $10 a month is far from "free"...and you do not need internet service to fly with.
+1
my ipad mini 3 fits in the controller. they are always on sale somewhere. no sim card but has wifi i don't need because $6.00 otg cable.

Reactions: Icemanwbs
I think with the smaller screen if you tap the map box it changes the map view and/or to the attitude screen?

You will get both (map,attitude) screens on a larger display.

There's not enough room on a small screen to display both but are probably available.
yes I can currently switch from map to attitude on my Iphone and it’s full screen. It’s the trail or path line (as when you playback flight) I would like to see in current time as I am flying. In other words ability to turn Spark around and follow the flight line back over the flight out. It would appear as seeing my flight record in real time...when flying. Perhaps only Mavic has that or its not possible. But I did read it once.

The $10.00 monthly payment is to Verizon for cellular wi fi like I pay so much a month for my iphone bill. I don’t use the OTG, My main question is the flight path line. Can it be seen on screen in real time flight. The same lines you see when you playback your flights. That would help me navigate back when flying. I have a feeling only Mavic shows that and not the spark. I was hoping larger screen shows another mapping with lines on it Real Time.

Reactions: Wsteele
The Samsung Tab E dates from 2015 hand has very low specs: Quad core, 1.5GB ram and 8GB storage.
When I bought my first drone in 2015 the DJI GO app at that time ran on my Samsung galaxy S3 phone.
After a year constantly updating to the newest DJI GO app the S3 was NOT supported anymore, specs too low.
The current DJI GO 4 app is even more demanding, and doesn't even show up in PlayStore (only the older DJI GO app).
I don't know if the spark can be flown with the older DJI GO app, I asume only with DJI GO 4 !!
Make sure DJI GO 4 can be installed and runs on the Tab E otherwise you wasted your money.

Save a bit of money and buy an iPad mini 4. I use it with the DJI Go 4 app, and it runs beautifully. As for the original DJI Go app, it will not work with the Spark. The Go 4 version is required when it comes to the company’s newer drones.

Reactions: Tribar
I recently bought a Lenovo tab 4 8" for dedicated drone use and it works awesome. Very bright screen. It does not work OTG but I have no issues flying WiFi with it. Last I looked Amazon had them new for $106, something to think about for a cheap option.

Last edited:
+1
my ipad mini 3 fits in the controller. they are always on sale somewhere. no sim card but has wifi i don't need because $6.00 otg cable.
Which would be better , and what is difference, iPad mini 2, or mini 3 ?

i don't believe there is much of any functional difference between the two, exact same size, even the same processor i think.
Ok, sounds good. I never used Apple, but I've heard that any storage you'd have to use there "cloud" and it's not cheap. Any truth to that ? I just want to use it in conjunction with my RC with my spark.

all the video storage is on the drone, on the sd card. the ipad, like a phone, is used to help with controlling the flight of the spark. the dji go 4 application runs on the ipad same as on an iphone or android OS phone. i find i like the ipad because it is larger so things are more spread out across the screen. you can get an ipad with more storage though, to download the videos and photos from the spark. up to 64GB i believe. you don't need the model ith sim card, all you need is wifi.

All of your footage will be on the SD card of the Spark. No need to back up cached material.

Remove the card and dump the footage in your PC. No cloud storage needed.

I fly with a mini4, WiFi only, and I never have set up a cloud account.

all the video storage is on the drone, on the sd card. the ipad, like a phone, is used to help with controlling the flight of the spark. the dji go 4 application runs on the ipad same as on an iphone or android OS phone. i find i like the ipad because it is larger so things are more spread out across the screen. you can get an ipad with more storage though, to download the videos and photos from the spark. up to 64GB i believe. you don't need the model ith sim card, all you need is wifi.
Will a mini 2 or 3 fit under the RC , like a phone does ?

Save a bit of money and buy an iPad mini 4. I use it with the DJI Go 4 app, and it runs beautifully. As for the original DJI Go app, it will not work with the Spark. The Go 4 version is required when it comes to the company’s newer drones.

I bought a tablet mount that is meant to hold the tablet on the back of a car seat. Chopped it up and glued aluminium to it reflective of the size of my phone. Light weight and works great20181030_164339.jpg20181030_164449.jpg20181030_165640.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast