Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OK to fly with a prop that has a crack halfway up the prop?

joyesh

Join
Jan 12, 2019
Hey, I'm kinda new here, however I've been flying drones for quite some time. I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times at this point, but I couldn't find anyone who had a crack on their prop like this.
A while back (around January) I had a nasty collision with a tree in a return to home (wasn't able to see what was above the drone, however it looked like it was over open space). So up it went, into the tree, like 3 times before making it through (and this was scary since it was over the deep end of a river). Eventually it did return home and land, however the props were very slightly cracked. I thought nothing of it since the cracks were so small I didn't think they would affect anything. However, after about a month worth of flights, I've been noticing the crack get bigger. My drone still flies fine (even in windy conditions) however I'm wondering if I should buy a new set of props now or not.
Here's a picture of the crack:
prop.png

I wouldn't fly with that prop. There's no telling what'll happen if it breaks off mid-flight.

Alright, thanks for the answers guys. I was already considering buying a new set, but just wanted to check since genuine props are pretty expensive and I don't want to trust my (relatively) expensive drone with cheap props that could break quicker.

Alright, thanks for the answers guys. I was already considering buying a new set, but just wanted to check since genuine props are pretty expensive and I don't want to trust my (relatively) expensive drone with cheap props that could break quicker.

$10 vs $300 for a new Spark.

Screenshot_20180724-084309_Gallery.jpg

Fly safe.:)

Genuine OEM are always safest - but based on reviews and some feedback in this forum I recently purchased these and seem to work just as well and more reasonably priced. Certainly safer I would think than the cracked pair your using now. I would recommend replacing all if you replace the one.

IMG_0092.PNG

What @Heckmaniac said ... I have the Anbee props too and they're just as durable as the originals. There are lots of great reviews on both Amazon and Youtube.

If you're in the US, these props are 1/3 the price of OEM.

Hey, I'm kinda new here, however I've been flying drones for quite some time. I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times at this point, but I couldn't find anyone who had a crack on their prop like this.
A while back (around January) I had a nasty collision with a tree in a return to home (wasn't able to see what was above the drone, however it looked like it was over open space). So up it went, into the tree, like 3 times before making it through (and this was scary since it was over the deep end of a river). Eventually it did return home and land, however the props were very slightly cracked. I thought nothing of it since the cracks were so small I didn't think they would affect anything. However, after about a month worth of flights, I've been noticing the crack get bigger. My drone still flies fine (even in windy conditions) however I'm wondering if I should buy a new set of props now or not.
View attachment 8948

NEVER fly with any prop that has any kind of defect or damage of any sort, throw it away and put a new one on, I could go into all the things that flying with a prop that isn't pristine but I don't have that kind of time

A little super glue goes a long way. Just clamp the prop while drying and don't go overboard with the glue. In the mean time always have a spare set handy. Self repair gains confidence contrary to always purchasing DJI products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stathis_K.
I would definitely replace rather then try to repair the prop. You will crash if the prop breaks mid-flight, and I'd be concerned that the difference in balance on a repaired prop could damage the motor -- just not worth it

It's common sense! Any damage to the props can damage the motors due to the damage throwing the props off balance! Also if that crack is put under stress it could tear off part of the prop causing all sorts of problems! Props are cheap compared to replacing your spark.

Reactions: BuckDashe
Genuine OEM are always safest - but based on reviews and some feedback in this forum I recently purchased these and seem to work just as well and more reasonably priced. Certainly safer I would think than the cracked pair your using now. I would recommend replacing all if you replace the one.

View attachment 8950

Good to see this brand having quite a few happy patrons. I need to order my spare set soon.

View attachment 8948
To fly with a crack like this is not an issue if you dont have spare props at hand. Just cover it with a piece of scotch tape. It will fly like a new one. BUT, usually when you hit something there is a very high chance that the prop mount is damaged (one small end that blocks the prop is broken). So first of all dismount the prop and check the mount. Throw the prop if any damage.

I hear people saying that props are cheap, thats right. But if you have no other choice in the short term you can do this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast