Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OK to fly with a prop that has a crack halfway up the prop?

from experiancei,d line the crack up drop some super glue a sand with 400 or 600 abit and go for it no problem DJI should give you a tube of glue with every set of props , i,ve seen in care refresh the props are a covered replacement but i havent personally called them on it , but you don,t need to tell them about super glue

Reactions: Stathis_K.
very much so but about 150% and i,m not rich if it is acting up win you take off land !! but i haven,y had one just break off and I,ve done it tested time again when the new orops arrive take it off and replace it you,ll see no difference if you have done the glue job proper and don,t order just one set of props at a time at least 2 sets especially if they arem,t DJI oem very seldom do you break all four simple odd number out the 5 for 999 is kinda funny to watch sparky try and take off if you have a back up set of good props sum places will sell you carbon fiber props for 40 and study it for a bit you can get the same for 18 t0 20 dollars and watch it for a bit anytime u change or repair i don,t think heavy carbon fiber props were designed to make your motors last longer if one has more vibration than the others you will have in Issue down the road if all is smooth fly away spark is a tough little bird ,

Even in Australia where the props sell for (AU) $16-20 a pair genuine I couldn’t fathom flying with that level of damage as a normal way to think.

If I’m lucky I may be able to replace the aircraft for about AUD400, should the prop fail leading to a flight where the aircraft drops in a river ocean or swamp. The economics of cost/risk just don’t add up.

Sure I’ve got some nicks and scrapes on props from skimming grass, bushes and trees and fly with those all the time, but I’m also coming up to a year of ownership and one thing I’ll be doing is CareRefresh renewal and a new set of props.

Reactions: Tom Bennett
I have 3 or 4 sets of replacement props for each of my drones and always have at least 1 full set with me when I fly. With that being said I would not fly 200 feet up with those at all, but I would mess around at 10-20 feet in my back yard especially if I was planning on flying close to some obstacles. I have found the spark is a pretty robust drone and have crashed mine a few times with minor cosmetic damages.

Hey, I'm kinda new here, however I've been flying drones for quite some time. I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times at this point, but I couldn't find anyone who had a crack on their prop like this.
A while back (around January) I had a nasty collision with a tree in a return to home (wasn't able to see what was above the drone, however it looked like it was over open space). So up it went, into the tree, like 3 times before making it through (and this was scary since it was over the deep end of a river). Eventually it did return home and land, however the props were very slightly cracked. I thought nothing of it since the cracks were so small I didn't think they would affect anything. However, after about a month worth of flights, I've been noticing the crack get bigger. My drone still flies fine (even in windy conditions) however I'm wondering if I should buy a new set of props now or not.
Here's a picture of the crack:
View attachment 8948
I cant beleive you would even post this question

I always have a spare set on hand and replace if there's even a small nick, because when they go they can go quickly. Why risk it? The OEM propellers really aren't that expensive given that you shouldn't be smacking into things all that often, especially once you get some experience. I haven't had a problem in ages and I think last time it smacked into a june bug or similar.

Reactions: Spark 317
I just purchased a set of Anbee props (white and red) and they fly great! They seem to be a little more flexible that the original DJI ones (might be a bit more forgiving if hitting small tree branches). Time will tell how long they last. But right now, no problems!

Good lord there is no way anyone should fly with cracked props. The props spin at a high RPM and are the ONLY thing keeping the Spark in the air. Lose one prop and you're crashing.

I wouldn't even suggest gluing them, a slight weight difference on one blade could unbalance or overstress a motor.

Just use a small piece of duct tape or chewing gum. Good as new.

We'll be here awaiting the next post. :)

Copper staples would work to help thwart the errors due to its non ferrous nature.

But due to the weight, aluminum staples are preferred.;)

Reactions: Mark M

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme