Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable Issues

What ever works, but I followed Animal's sequence and it works every time. It is raining here in Tulsa or I would be out flying. So this is a great time for check issues off my list. This one was my main issue. I too purchased what you did through Amazon, same cables. I am waiting for the Mavic Pro II to make it debut before I make a purchase. I purchased two sets of cables thinking that when the Mavic II is announced I would have the same setup ready to go for the Mavic.

About the battery drain :

Made 4 flights in a row yesterday, first flight with the iPhone battery at 97%. 1h30 later, more or less, at the end of the fourth flight, the phone's battery was 83%, pretty good for me ! The phone was connected to internet with wifi.

I get the message "accessory may be not supported" too, just acknowledge it, no issues.

I have this OTG cable : Amazon.com: Universal Transfer Data Cable Lightning Cable to iPads Connectiing for DJI Mavic Pro Drone Remote Controller (Lightning): Camera & Photo

Works like a charm with my iPhone SE ( iOS 11.0 Beta )

Procedure to connect the phone :

- Power up the Spark
- Power up the RC and wait for it to be connected to Spark
- Plug the OTG cable to the RC
- Plug the OTG cable to the iPhone (unlocked, it won't work otherwise)
- Launch DJI GO 4 app
- Enjoy your flight !

Thanks, I wish I had seen your cable before ordering mine

First of all, thanks to everyone on this thread. After reading everyone's input, I was able to solve my problem of "function" and "c" buttons not working. Basically I used Animals list; however, when I opened the D-4 app, I made sure I had the map view open in the reduced view. I still can't get the selections to stay in memory when I turn the RC off and back on. But I always go through the selections on the RC.

Funny that I turn RC on first, then Spark, then connect OTG cable. Maybe as long as the cable is last it works. I may start turning on the Spark first, so I don't get beeps from RC before it sees the Spark.

I'm using two cables to connect and get the 'device not supported' msg from my iPad, but they work with the Spark. I found this company (link below) is producing compliant cables for the Mavic and are considering producing one with a micro USB that would work with Spark. Use their contact form to let them know you are interested, maybe we can get enough interest to make it worth it for them. I like the idea of having an MFI compliant single cable.

Products

Reactions: kika
Hi,

I'm the guy who designs the cables @Freebird32 (thanks for the link!) mentioned above. I don't own the Spark. Is there someone here who lives in the SF Bay Area in the USA who can test the design(s) for the cable with their Spark? I'll give a free production cable for the efforts :)

Reactions: Advexure
Hi,

I'm the guy who designs the cables @Freebird32 (thanks for the link!) mentioned above. I don't own the Spark. Is there someone here who lives in the SF Bay Area in the USA who can test the design(s) for the cable with their Spark? I'll give a free production cable for the efforts :)

Down in LA, but we'd be happy to assist if no one up your direction is able to come through.

Reactions: kika
And .... the OTG end or if you are using a male-to-male cable, the HOST end goes the controller (at least for Androids)

Yes please do. In the cable description it said it wouldn't work with iOS 10.3 only 10.2, so I'm curious. I need a longer single cable.

Hi All,

Unfortunately these cables don't work... they just charge the spark controller from your iPhone or IPad!!

Down in LA, but we'd be happy to assist if no one up your direction is able to come through.

@Advexure are you still up for this? I have the test cable but the guy who agreed to help me to test it disappeared from the radar :) Let me know your address to send to.

@Advexure are you still up for this? I have the test cable but the guy who agreed to help me to test it disappeared from the radar :) Let me know your address to send to.

Please shoot us a PM or email at [email protected] and we'd be happy to take a look.

I realize the OTG chatter has been going on for awhile, so I apologize if my question is answered in another thread. Is there any evidence that using WiFi with the spark is inferior for performance, not just inconvenient? I hear a lot of speculation about how a direct wired connection to the remote eliminates the variables of wifi connectivity and possible interference between wifi and radio controller signals (not sure if that is valid concern, sounds plausible but I'm not an expert). I think some are confused about the distance limitations of WiFi because they think WiFi is the connection to the Spark, but it is only used from the remote to the mobile device which remain right next to each other. It seems that everyone is working hard to find ways to make OTG work with mixed results because iOS and microUSB to lightning cable doesn't seem to be standardized or intended use and gives mixed results. I'm a newbie and still experimenting, but I've made WiFi work and OTG work, though with OTG connection Go4 app told me it thinks it is connecting to a Phantom 3 once and that I need to update firmware and most recently told me I need to update my camera firmware and showed two fuzzy white stripes in the camera view (which it does not complain about or give me stripes when I use WiFi). So, it seems that there is a lot of effort to make OTG work in an unsupported way. I haven't had any problems using WiFi (but haven't done distance tests either). Is there explicit, confirmed reason why WiFi is interfering with signal, impeding performance and OTG is the way to go?

I realize the OTG chatter has been going on for awhile, so I apologize if my question is answered in another thread. Is there any evidence that using WiFi with the spark is inferior for performance, not just inconvenient? I hear a lot of speculation about how a direct wired connection to the remote eliminates the variables of wifi connectivity and possible interference between wifi and radio controller signals (not sure if that is valid concern, sounds plausible but I'm not an expert). I think some are confused about the distance limitations of WiFi because they think WiFi is the connection to the Spark, but it is only used from the remote to the mobile device which remain right next to each other. It seems that everyone is working hard to find ways to make OTG work with mixed results because iOS and microUSB to lightning cable doesn't seem to be standardized or intended use and gives mixed results. I'm a newbie and still experimenting, but I've made WiFi work and OTG work, though with OTG connection Go4 app told me it thinks it is connecting to a Phantom 3 once and that I need to update firmware and most recently told me I need to update my camera firmware and showed two fuzzy white stripes in the camera view (which it does not complain about or give me stripes when I use WiFi). So, it seems that there is a lot of effort to make OTG work in an unsupported way. I haven't had any problems using WiFi (but haven't done distance tests either). Is there explicit, confirmed reason why WiFi is interfering with signal, impeding performance and OTG is the way to go?
WiFi is the connection to the Spark. The phone is connected to the remote via WiFi, then the remote is connected to the Spark by WiFi.

The Spark doesn’t use occusync, it’s purely a WiFi system. That’s why the option to choose between two WiFi bands for the rc (2.4 and 5.8) is available.

Reactions: David DeSmet
WiFi is the connection to the Spark. The phone is connected to the remote via WiFi, then the remote is connected to the Spark by WiFi.

The Spark doesn’t use occusync, it’s purely a WiFi system. That’s why the option to choose between two WiFi bands for the rc (2.4 and 5.8) is available.

Thanks for the clarification. So when I view the distance tests for the Spark with a range extender on a remote (
), they are flying 10,000 ft with WiFi? I thought that 2.4 Ghz WiFi was limited to 300 ft. outdoors (although that is based on home networks)? So everyone is trying to make OTG work because of interference between the phone to remote WiFi and the remote to Spark WiFi?

Last edited:
Yep, it’s a WiFi system, as is the new Mavic Air,

I’m not sure about the limitation in WiFi transmission, but people generally get greater distance using the 5.8 GHz option.

It’s all here in the specs. Buy Spark Remote Controller

Thanks for the clarification. So when I view the distance tests for the Spark with a range extender on a remote (
), they are flying 10,000 ft with WiFi? I thought that 2.4 Ghz WiFi was limited to 300 ft. outdoors (although that is based on home networks)? So everyone is trying to make OTG work because of interference between the phone to remote WiFi and the remote to Spark WiFi?

Wifi with remote control (RC) is a different type of Wifi as I understand it. But still susceptible to interference of course. The MAX RANGE I have been able to fly with the RC was over 3,000ft, in 'mostly' farm land. Though at that distance, its scary to see the little spark fly that far!

Directly connected to your phones Wifi will yield you the only a 50M Height - 100M Distance (or less depending on your Phones Signal of course)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex