Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable

Autodrome

Join
Oct 22, 2019
I tried connecting an OTG cable i purchased off amazon for the first time and what happened was the controller started to charge and my phone promptly shut off! (I believe it was at around 20%)

is this normal? Is there anyway I can use the cable to simply supply the data/video feed without it charging the controller?

It should have been the opposite i.e. the phone should have started to charge. This is simply because the host end of the OTG cable should be mounted on the controller. So if you have a cable which has micro-USB port on both ends, just swap ends and everything should be fine.

Reactions: Rolfy Dave
Reactions: Miket
One more question..

Worth a punt?

Anyone tried it?

There are other chargers just like that one with higher reviews on it check it out on YouTube. I'm thinking about buying one. and they are priced cheaper than the one you posted. 5% off

Amazon.com: RC GearPro DJI Spark Parallel Battery Charger Hub Charging Station Compatible for DJI Spark Drone: Toys & Games

Jeff :cool:

One more question..

Worth a punt?

Anyone tried it?

I have been using one of these for about 12 months. They are perfect. It charges 4 batteries super quick, believe it or not around 45 minutes. I have a cigarette lighter plug and charge the batteries in the car, it takes just a bit longer, but having a break, cup of coffee and a sandwich, and you are ready to go again. One of the best things I have purchased.
On the otg cable, another thing you can look at is the setup for usb on your phone/tablet. In settings under usb you can change what happens when you plug the cable in, I think that 'charge' is the default but I select 'transfer files', or words to that effect. Hope this helps. Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Waco
I tried connecting an OTG cable i purchased off amazon for the first time and what happened was the controller started to charge and my phone promptly shut off! (I believe it was at around 20%)

is this normal? Is there anyway I can use the cable to simply supply the data/video feed without it charging the controller?
Bad news, it is not published but there are DATA & power cables. As the name stated DATA CABLE is needed to connect to your phone and tablet.
I didn't know the difference but armed with 5 mini and 2 c cables I was able to make a two wire connection to get video and data on my phone and fire tablet. Now I don't understand why mini would hook up to a phone Android and then have to change the controller cable to make the tablet do the same.
I have the cable set up for my new phone and another for my tablet in my flight box for plug and go. Hope this helps. PS the G7 has a c connect.
Have fun I do.

Yes I had the same problem! Had to turn off the phone and reset it to get the screen back.
Toss the cheep cable :-(

Tried it again and yes, it was as easy as reversing the ends. In fact one end has 'Host' written on it.

It will connect with wifi turned off. Just waiting for a decent day to try it out.

Should I be seeing better streaming video as well, or simply longer range?

Reactions: Spark 317
Tried it again and yes, it was as easy as reversing the ends. In fact one end has 'Host' written on it.

It will connect with wifi turned off. Just waiting for a decent day to try it out.

Should I be seeing better streaming video as well, or simply longer range?

Should be better video.

Some say it helps with range, I don't think it does.

But it might?

The therory I read was that the processing power of the remote is concentrated on the Spark transmission and not two WiFi signals. (Device and the Spark).

With using the cable, it eliminates one of the WiFi connections that the remote has to use and concentrate it's power on the Spark transmission.

It seems that the rest of DJI's fleet uses a cable, so should the Spark.

It was a fluke that somebody stumbled upon when the Spark was released in 2017, and DJI was back and forth on the support between Android and iOS devices.

More user friendly with Apple, not so much with the Droids.

That was then, this is now and the cable is the way to go.

If you want better range, an inexpensive pair of parabolic reflectors that slip over the remote antennas work well as they concentrate the signal to and from the Spark.

Just be sure to point at the Spark at all times.

With a concentrated signal, you might lose it if you spin yourself around 180* to talk to your buddies or another distraction.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Thanks tried it today using direct OTG link. Got out to 1.4km before I started back, could have gone further. Video was indeed more stable and smoother with no breakup.

Visibility on the phone wasnt great due to glare and mediocre screen brightness. I'm thinking a mini tablet with sunshade would be a worthy addition.

I'm thinking a mini tablet with sunshade would be a worthy addition.

I fly with a mini4.

Although it will fit in RC arms, I have it mounted in a tablet holder with a lanyard to hang around my neck for a lifeline.

With the tablet in the holder, I can use a 4 sided sun hood that works a lot better than a 3 sided one, as it blocks the light from all sides.

Will have to look into it..

Video:

still learning how to get stable footage

Well done. It won't get more stable than this in Sports mode though. You will always have those jerks at starts and stops, the propellers will show in the frame when you accelerate suddenly from zero and when you try to turn, the video will be tilted to the right or left. If you are looking to fly long distances, you got to live with these limitations of Sports mode.

Reactions: RotorWash
Makes sense, I will try playing around with the gimbal speed when tilting, is there a way to tone down the yaw speed?

oh and totally forgot to mention a buddy came along that just received his mavic mini.

He actually turned around and managed less distance than I did. Kept getting wind and insufficient power warnings. We had 10-12mph winds. Spark handled it better, quite a bit more forward speed in flight.

I know not many people use it for this, but Spark makes a nice sport flyer in close as well.

Makes sense, I will try playing around with the gimbal speed when tilting, is there a way to tone down the yaw speed?

oh and totally forgot to mention a buddy came along that just received his mavic mini.

He actually turned around and managed less distance than I did. Kept getting wind and insufficient power warnings. We had 10-12mph winds. Spark handled it better, quite a bit more forward speed in flight.

I know not many people use it for this, but Spark makes a nice sport flyer in close as well.

No. Slowing down yaw speed doesn't yield satisfactory results. The answer lies in the Cinematic mode. But you need to be using the Go4 Mod 2.0 app to be able to use this mode. Watch the turns in this video.

Reactions: Royster72
Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but nilanjan's video uses the gimbal set to Follow so that it keeps the horizon level regardless of the Spark's roll attitude during banking turns. Your gimbal is set to FPV and shows the bank angle with tilted horizon as you would see it in an aircraft. This might make a difference as well. The biggest reason, IMO, to run the Go4 Mod 2.0 is to get access to the Cinematic mode. You also get Course Lock and Home Lock options, but lose Pano mode.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but nilanjan's video uses the gimbal set to Follow so that it keeps the horizon level regardless of the Spark's roll attitude during banking turns. Your gimbal is set to FPV and shows the bank angle with tilted horizon as you would see it in an aircraft. This might make a difference as well. The biggest reason, IMO, to run the Go4 Mod 2.0 is to get access to the Cinematic mode. You also get Course Lock and Home Lock options, but lose Pano mode.

Even if you have the gimbal set to follow mode, you will get the tilt while turning when flying in Sports mode.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast