Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Perfect Spark Antenna mod RP-SMA

In term of performance, the best would be to be able to stick to 2.4G OR 5.8G and have an antenna for just such band. But I found it is random the frequency the RC select to talk with the quad (mainly dependent of what free channels are available). I know that using wifi link first allow to fix the frequency and then OTG cable can be used, but it is a pain and a lost of time/battery. Only some firmware/app update could improve that.
As antenna the Itelite one looks good Itelite DBS Nanosync antenna for the DJI Mavic Pro but I don't know it and if it is limited to only 2.4G (I don't have a Mavic).
I am using this one Itelite DBS02.2 antenna kit for DJI Mavic Pro with my Phantom 3 and it is great but it is made for 2.4G. With mine, best channel is 25 at 2.5G when using a scanner to check the antenna.

A little of topic, but does anybody know a wifi scanner for IOS that would be similar to "Wifi Analyzer" on android ? Maybe I am expecting too much from my first iPad. Was hard decision to buy one but vacations are in 3 days for me and I never get 1 flight without a crash mid-flight when using my Samsung Tab S2 (it is perfect since long time for my Phantom 3). Just the android GO4 app for Spark is currently nothing in comparison with the GO4 for IOS actually IMO.

Are both antennas transceivers, or is one sender, the other receiver? One would have to know if combining omni + directional ...
I would guess one is reception of video and one is RC transmit and / telemetry reception. I received mod kit but too short to vacation for trial. With a scanner should be easy to see who is transmitting.

I would guess one is reception of video and one is RC transmit and / telemetry reception. I received mod kit but too short to vacation for trial. With a scanner should be easy to see who is transmitting.
Nope, MiMo

Kind of dumb, off topic question, but how hard is it to swap out the stock rc antennas with ones like the alpha apa m25? Is it level brain surgery or level plug-n-play?

Given, my spark & controller get in Friday so I haven't inspected the setup. Main objective is just farther distance (with OTG set up of course) with good video transmission. With that in mind, best to go directional or Omni? I imagine with directional, you can go further in a linear path from the rc, while the Omni you can go slightly less far, but have a bigger radius.

Thanks in advance!

Nope, MiMo
You are right, with wifi link it makes more sense.
Do you know if the operate on same channel? I am just thinking to the antenna that should be attached and its adaptation to the frequency.

I ordered the Clean Install kit and and installed it, so far so good. I have only powered the RC and Drone on and tested each axis on the joysticks. The kit installs really nice with no extras needed. I am really happy with the results and thanks for the tip on the lead Ender.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
Reactions: Ender
Well I just gave the antennas a trial run and only got 1100 feet out of them :( I think these will be going back.

Last edited:
Yesterday i made it to 3300m@100m Altitude distance with the 2 Alfa APA-M25 ANtennae and of course in FCC mode. I didnt expect it and was really thrilled.
The reception was still okay but with the Alfas you really have to point towards the Sparky quite precisely...
When i turned to go home i lost connection for 10 seconds.
Worst connection is with Spark turned 90 degree but also if it turned 180 degrees the reception is a bit worth, so if in doubt justfly backwards to never loose connection.

G-reat ;-)

Ender

Just one observation. I did the conversion to RP-SMA and aquired two omni antennas to have a similiar set up to stock again. The antennas are the ones described by Ender in post #18 Perfect Spark Antenna mod RP-SMA

What I think I do notice: Reach is somewhat improved over the stock antennas, even with the omnidirectional ones. Am I alone in thinking so?

No i dont think you did i had same problem with un modified rc and had to relink them

Just one observation. I did the conversion to RP-SMA and aquired two omni antennas to have a similiar set up to stock again. The antennas are the ones described by Ender in post #18 Perfect Spark Antenna mod RP-SMA

What I think I do notice: Reach is somewhat improved over the stock antennas, even with the omnidirectional ones. Am I alone in thinking so?
Hi,
You are perfectly right as even those Antennae have a higher gain then the stock Antennae. Those Omni have a Donut shaped gain plot and with higher dBi the Donut gets flatter...
Ender

Reactions: Blue Baron
Bought this one some days ago, really nice and well made antenna, i got 3400 metres in FCC mode and almost never had video disconnection.
I ordered mine this morning (4hawks), i'll review them when received. I made 1600 meters already without any mod and no transmission lost but i was in a clear environment over St Lawrence river in Quebec Canada. Question : what is the FCC mode etc. you guys talk about and is it found in the menus? I'll check on google and the manual but you might give me a more "instructive" answer than those impersonal lecture ;-) ?

There are different regional power specifications, in Europe power transmission from the controller is limited to 0,09W, in US (FCC) to 0,4W. That's why US spark users can reach 2km and in EU just 500 meters. Since you're in Canada you should be in fcc mode, no need to worry!

Reactions: Boudro
Yesterday i made it to 3300m@100m Altitude distance with the 2 Alfa APA-M25 ANtennae and of course in FCC mode. I didnt expect it and was really thrilled.
The reception was still okay but with the Alfas you really have to point towards the Sparky quite precisely...
When i turned to go home i lost connection for 10 seconds.
Worst connection is with Spark turned 90 degree but also if it turned 180 degrees the reception is a bit worth, so if in doubt justfly backwards to never loose connection.

G-reat ;-)

Ender
OMG 3300m?! How difficult is this antenna mod?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers