Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark distance

@redsox that seems to be an OTG cable. Trees will definitely cut your signal. You need to consider getting higher up to reduce that effect. Rise over run. As for the IMU thing, not sure, was the water rough? Buy a new SD card. (assuming you did a reformat with the spark and its still NFG)

That makes sense, and I'll try that, generally speaking I was flying around the 40-50M height (which is about 15-20m higher than the tree line). The water wasn't rough at all, the boat was obviously still drifting slightly since we weren't anchored but not enough that it should have glitched out the IMU...Lastly, I figured I would have to buy a new SDcard, but I'm worried that a new one won't solve the issue, as the SDcard itself is fine (it works in my computer and camera). What causes an SDcard error with the spark?

Well, I would definitely format it using the Spark (its in the camera settings at the bottom). If that still does not do it, then I would replace.

Further you go over those trees the higher you'd want to get to maintain clean signal

I will try to format it tonight using the spark (I tried with my computer but that didn't work). I'll also try and go up way higher than previous and see if my range gets better. Thanks for the tips.

Furthest I've gone was 14,588 ft (2.8 mi.) out before, made it back with 2% battery left. Stock Spark, battery, remote, OTG cable to android device, passive parabolic range extender dish on antenna's.

Not great video quality on phone (screen recorded put on YouTube that includes the telematics) - but also include link in the detail for SD card video (whiteout telematics).

I have never been able to get too much over 1600 ft no matter what I try. I got the range externders that slide over the antenna and for me, they made no difference at all.

I am not sure how others are getting longer distances.

I have never been able to get too much over 1600 ft no matter what I try. I got the range externders that slide over the antenna and for me, they made no difference at all.

I am not sure how others are getting longer distances.

There are a few keys to getting distance with this Spark and remote from my experience.
- Need to be in FCC mode not CE as with much of Europe (are you in the USA?).
- Need to be in an area with minimal Wi-Fi signal interference (open farm fields, over water, etc). Not in neighborhoods or surrounded by competing wi-fi, which can cause noise and interference with the remote - even if you have a clear line of site to the drone.
- Key is to have line of site between the drone and remote (above any tree line, houses, etc.). The more wide open the better.
- Need to point the parabolic rang extender dish that is on your antenna's directly in the direction and relative angle to the drone (don't move the remote around, but always in line with the drone).
- I allow the remote to choose the signal automatically (not locked into 5.8 or 2.4). I find that the 5.8 is what the remote normally selects and works great for me.

i all that is done, then you should get 2 miles no problem - if you are getting significantly less, then maybe you have a beginner mode or geofence set up in the DJI Go4 app settings. If not any of that, then maybe an issue with the drone or remote.

Last edited:
My flight records say top distance 8,900 some feet. Idk know if that’s round trip or that far each way, but I fly it mainly in the country without interference.
Some of my longer flights are climbing up a mountain behind our house, so line of signal is good, and most anytime I’m going to fly it further out I use the range extenders. They seem to work because if you they aren’t lined up with your drone because you turn away for a second or something, connection will go away. Move then back in line there’s connection.

Update to say the 8,000 + flight is round trip, 3,400 was furthest out on that flight, and it was actually along the Long Island sound when I was in NY recently. So another good open space with good line of sight.
There are a number of 5 to 7,000 foot flights in my records in Va. apparently all distances are round trip.

890AD1AB-637A-4958-B483-AED0B0DE95EB.jpeg

Last edited:
What about height? Like directly up...what is the highest anyone has got it, without losing connection and still with stable video?

Reactions: Rafiky
Reactions: mlash
I've had mine out 2.5 miles and great signal and I regularly fly 1.5 to 2 miles away. I use a parabolic extender and they work!

Out 2262 meters or 7,419 feet on 5.8G
View attachment 5573
Mlash I've seen you on the mavic forum and the phantom forum. the place you fly is GREAT. I always called my place next to prefect. The distance i get are above average and your are on top of mine. For the range your getting you packing any extra batteries? My best with a spark second time with 9200 ft. I was not trying to hard. it lost signal and turned around I was going to cancels but just let it come home. it had 34% left in the battery. So I'm thinking an easy 12k and back than is if I try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme