Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

"Piloting" Technique

Dodge DeBoulet

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Loc
Maine
I dabbled in single-rotor RC helicopters for a few years and eventually my interest waned. One of the reasons was that I always wanted to see what was going on in real-time from the heli's point of view, and there weren't any inexpensive options back then.

Unfortunately, I flew enough that the muscle memory for controlling the heli (and now the Spark) is ingrained to the point that I find it difficult to fly solely using the RC-connected phone/tablet as my POV. When I try, it's almost like learning to fly all over again.

When I'm looking directly at the Spark, my hind-brain automatically adjusts my control of the sticks to account for the drone's orientation ... i.e. if the Spark is facing me, left stick to the left to yaw right, right stick to the left to move to the right and vice-versa. If it's facing to the left, left-stick to the left yaws to turn it towards me, and right stick to the left moves it towards me, etc.

Using the Spark's camera with the RC-attached phone would seem more intuitive, but I find it a bit challenging to move back and forth between the two modes. I think getting the best video footage really requires mastering FPV flying, though, and making the transition is harder than I thought it would be ...

Thoughts?

I dabbled in single-rotor RC helicopters for a few years and eventually my interest waned. One of the reasons was that I always wanted to see what was going on in real-time from the heli's point of view, and there weren't any inexpensive options back then.

Unfortunately, I flew enough that the muscle memory for controlling the heli (and now the Spark) is ingrained to the point that I find it difficult to fly solely using the RC-connected phone/tablet as my POV. When I try, it's almost like learning to fly all over again.

When I'm looking directly at the Spark, my hind-brain automatically adjusts my control of the sticks to account for the drone's orientation ... i.e. if the Spark is facing me, left stick to the left to yaw right, right stick to the left to move to the right and vice-versa. If it's facing to the left, left-stick to the left yaws to turn it towards me, and right stick to the left moves it towards me, etc.

Using the Spark's camera with the RC-attached phone would seem more intuitive, but I find it a bit challenging to move back and forth between the two modes. I think getting the best video footage really requires mastering FPV flying, though, and making the transition is harder than I thought it would be ...

Thoughts?

The Spark has 3 different joystick control patterns to choose from in the RC Settings. Mode 2 is the default and most commonly used.

Some pilots with video game or heli backgrounds may find one of the other patterns more "natural".

Give that a try - hope it helps.

The Spark has 3 different joystick control patterns to choose from in the RC Settings. Mode 2 is the default and most commonly used.

Some pilots with video game or heli backgrounds may find one of the other patterns more "natural".

Give that a try - hope it helps.

Thanks, I'm aware of the different modes. I'm not sure I want to change it from Mode 2, since that's what I used previously and I may get the itch to fly "old-school" again. I am a casual gamer too, but the games I play that include flight controls are as much a challenge to switch between as 3PV and FPV on the Spark :D

Thoughts?
You could try using the simulator in the Go4 app. There is a point of view that disallows a visual of the drone; thereby 'forcing' you to look at the monitor to see what the drone sees; only.
Also, because it is a simulator, looking at the spark on the floor or table won't do you much good.

Be sure to take the propellers off. This is not necessary to use the simulator, but if you accidentally Take-off, or otherwise start the motors, then no harm no foul.

Not being a gamer, or having any prior RC experience, the simulator really helped me learn how to control the drone when the camera changes direction

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef