Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Possible to take images while recording video (remote controller)

SirThomas

Join
Mar 2, 2019
A quick search didn't return any threads discussing this. Until I get my unit back from repair I cannot test it myself. I liked to record video any time my unit is in flight (in case anything goes wrong I can analyze the video as well as flight data). Does anyone know if it is possible to take still images using the camera button on the RC while the unit is also recording video? Or is it an either-or situation and I have to stop video, shoot images, then start video again?

It's one or the other.

You can capture frames from the video in post production, but probably won't be as clear as a picture but at 30fps you're bound to get something useful.

If your device is powerful enough, you could run a screen recorder to record the whole flight and shoot video and pictures, plus capture the screen telemetry. This way you have a recorded copy of the flight on your device if you lose the Spark for some reason.

With the Go4, screen recorder, and possibly video cache in the Go4 app, it may be laggy.
I would turn OFF the cache if you have a screen recorder going.

What APP would you recommend for an Android Screen recorder? I've got an old Galaxy S6 I use that has plenty of horsepower, but I've never tried screen recording on it.

What APP would you recommend for an Android Screen recorder?
Here are a couple.

You can capture frames from the video in post production, but probably won't be as clear as a picture but at 30fps you're bound to get something useful.

It was just as you said. Curious to me was that the still photo coverage area was larger than the video coverage area. Then I remembered that the yaw stabilization of video is electronic, so naturally that was what was going on with the smaller video image.

According to some specs I saw, the still camera is supposed to be able to take 12Mpixel images. However, the stills I have are only about 4 Mpixels. I looked all around the camera settings on the DJI GO app but could not find anything indicating resolution options. Any hints on that?

However, the stills I have are only about 4 Mpixels. I looked all around the camera settings on the DJI GO app but could not find anything indicating resolution options. Any hints on that?

Are the photos from the SD card?

If they are from your phone, then they are cached images if what is in the card.

That's where the good stuff is.

Yes, I was referring to files on the SD card.
The Spark's image resolution is 3968x2976 pixels. Cache images are 1024x768 pixels.
What size are you getting? There is no setting on the Spark to change this.

Hmmm. GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. Looks like I fumbled the keys when I entered the values to calculate the size. The images are indeed 3968x2976 or just under 12 Mpixels. I guess I was surprised at how quickly they pixelated when I blew them up and guessed the resolution was lower than I thought. To quote the famous Emily Latella, "Never Mind"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh