Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Post first flight questions

davpmars

Join
Jun 11, 2018
This forum has been extremely helpful…

I just got my drone today and flew for the first time. Wind was strong so I couldn’t do much but I was able to do enough to bring up some questions.

1) the drone seemed jotty in “beginner” mode. Was I doing something wrong or was that because of the wind? (It kept giving me a red part circle)

2) I could not get my cell phone to Connect to the drone Wi-Fi even though the controller was turned off. Is this because it had already been paired to the controller previously?

2b) do you have to have a phone or controller connected in order to run gesture mode?

3) does active track have a hard time keeping up with a person that might be running around? It did not track my 7 yr old daughter running around very well but I also wonder if that was on the count of the high wind.

Thoughts???

This forum has been extremely helpful…

I just got my drone today and flew for the first time. Wind was strong so I couldn’t do much but I was able to do enough to bring up some questions.

1) the drone seemed jotty in “beginner” mode. Was I doing something wrong or was that because of the wind? (It kept giving me a red part circle)

2) I could not get my cell phone to Connect to the drone Wi-Fi even though the controller was turned off. Is this because it had already been paired to the controller previously?

2b) do you have to have a phone or controller connected in order to run gesture mode?

3) does active track have a hard time keeping up with a person that might be running around? It did not track my 7 yr old daughter running around very well but I also wonder if that was on the count of the high wind.

Thoughts???
Hi

1) Maybe related to high wind you indicate in 3). It has always to compensate for wind change by tilting itself. The camera gimbal is here to compensate it.

2a) You need to put the Spark in direct wifi mode so it broadcast its SSID. After power up, press the power button for 6 seconds to get 2 bips. To reconnect the RC, press the button 3 seconds to get 1 bip. Pressing 9 seconds to get 3 bips return the Spark to default Wifi settings.

2b) No, hand gesture can be used without RC or device, page 22 of user manual. But it is more safe to have one of them connected in case the Spark don't accept anymore your gesture. Otherwise you need to wait the battery is empty and it will auto-land !

3) It really matter of what the camera can see. Too small subject to track or poor contrast toward the background along with low light or too much sun can stop the tracking.

This is great info. Thank you

Here’s another question

I have the cable to connect the RC to my iPhone. But I still have to connect to the RC WiFi. Is this normal? How do I know I’m getting the benefit of the cable connection?

This is great info. Thank you

Here’s another question

I have the cable to connect the RC to my iPhone. But I still have to connect to the RC WiFi. Is this normal? How do I know I’m getting the benefit of the cable connection?
If you still have to connect by wifi to the RC, it means your cable didn't give you connection. Maybe not a real OTG cable but a straight cable.
You should get the Spark connected with the live video after you connect the cable or get the "Go to fly" from main Go4 app screen.
If not, then your cable is useless.

Reactions: graywoulf
If you still have to connect by wifi to the RC, it means your cable didn't give you connection. Maybe not a real OTG cable but a straight cable.
You should get the Spark connected with the live video after you connect the cable or get the "Go to fly" from main Go4 app screen.
If not, then your cable is useless.

Dang, well that sucks...

This is the cable that I bought. When I plug the RC to the phone, the remote and Spark are turned on, the DJI GO 4 app first screen says “Enter Device”

Mavic Pro Mavic Air Spark Cable Threeking DJI Mavic pro/Mavic pro Platinum/Mavic Air/Spark Data Cable Remote Control Date Cable OTG Cable Micro USB to IOS 11.8 inch(30 cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753FCN9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1vTjBbSYTG8PK

Dang, well that sucks...

This is the cable that I bought. When I plug the RC to the phone, the remote and Spark are turned on, the DJI GO 4 app first screen says “Enter Device”

Mavic Pro Mavic Air Spark Cable Threeking DJI Mavic pro/Mavic pro Platinum/Mavic Air/Spark Data Cable Remote Control Date Cable OTG Cable Micro USB to IOS 11.8 inch(30 cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753FCN9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1vTjBbSYTG8PK

Turn wifi OFF on your device so it won't pick up the Spark and try the cable again.

Turn ON remote, then Spark and wait for the green light on remote.
Then connect the OTG cable in the remote and then the device. (Or vice-versa)
You might get a message stating unsupported accessory.
Just dismiss the prompt and fly.

With wifi OFF you'll know if you're connected via cable if you see an image.

@Spark 317 is correct, it can be also the steps order you connect that matter and nullify the cable connection as your cable seems to be the right one for OTG connection.

The first time I flew my Spark I was in Beginner Mode. It was fighting a slight breeze so I had to turn off Beginner Mode to be able to maneuver the Spark like I wanted to. I have not used BM since.

Ya, beginner mode is really limiting, but if you have never ever flown a drone of any kind before, its a good starting point. My first two flights were in that mode, I have already flown other drones, which were MUCH less expensive, so I was being very cautious. Good idea to get an app that can show you wind speeds at various altitudes to help you plan flights more effectively. UAV Forecast is great for this. Having someone with you as a spotter is a great idea too.

I never used beginner mode so I can’t say that its too slow to chase your daughter. The wind wouldn’t help your spark chase anything unless it was headed downwind. My spark had no trouble in normal mode following a running adult that was changing direction while I had my spark tracking & circling them. A good contrast of the subject against the background helps the spark “see”, glare can also affect the sensor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast