Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Radio Interference?

EyeDocRobot

Join
Apr 9, 2018
I was looking to fly near/over this AM radio tower in the near future. Started to get concerned about interference. I don't want to be that high and lose connection etc. It puts out 650 kHz at 50,000 watts. Will this interfere with my transmitter? Would switching the to 5.8 make a difference? I know there are some very smart people much more versed in this sort of thing than I on here and appreciated any imput.

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 9.10.37 AM.png

I would think it would be ok, but take it slow. The radio is broadcasting at the kHz spectrum while wifi runs in the GHz spectrum. Just make sure you have a good GPS signal so that if you lose RC signal it will still have a GPS return home signal. But do be warned that if the radio tower also has cellphone or TV on top of radio all those waves may block GPS as well.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
I would not do it ... 50,000 watts are many and the spurie that produces are endlessly my word of radiomatore .. stay away from the repet of mobile, radio, etc.

I would not do it ... 50,000 watts are many and the spurie that produces are endlessly my word of radiomatore .. stay away from the repet of mobile, radio, etc.

I'm not so concerned about the watts, it's more the Hz that I'm worried about. If it's producing a lot of "white noise" in the same spectrum as the controller you are going to lose signal to the drone. Or worst case scenario the drone will interpret the "white noise" as actual RC commands and behave unpredictably.

Reactions: EyeDocRobot
Go out, try and learn, my opinion. But be carefull and slowly.
For me is the best way in some things - try and you know if/how it works.
Greetings from Austria

In the event that any spurious emissions overload the RC link to the aircraft make sure your RTH altitude is set HIGHER than the tower....if it loses the control link and you’re on the back side of the tower the Spark should then climb to RTH altitude and head home...

I know, it sounds obvious but just thought I’d bring it up...

One more thing; if the tower is held up with guy wires remember collision avoidance will likely not see them...

Reactions: EyeDocRobot
@EyeDocRobot I haven't flown my Spark around an AM tower but I've flown it around four other antennas - TV, FM and cellphone towers (2) ....what a blast BTW a trill fill with excitement every time (like flying over water but double the rush :D). I've had no significant transmission issues with those flights except one time while doing a dronie around one of the cellphone tower the video image froze on my iPad for a second or less while the Spark when behind the tower.

If you decide to do it let us know and definitely be extra careful, which already seems like your are being extra careful. Fly safe.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. The weather has not been very cooperative here between high winds and rain. Can't wait to get up there and SLOWLY discover how it goes.

I was on travel this past week in Aurora, CO. I drove to a place called Lookout Mountain and flew from the top. There were two very large towers that I cautiously approached and had no issues. I got right up next to the top of one...it was 407 feet high, never had any issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar