Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Range Extender

I use one that is similar and it works well. This guy got out 10k ft I was.able to get out to 8k in high Wi-Fi area.

I have the Amazon one. Concerned that it does not allow antenna to be at right angle.
They let you move the antennas the same. But these are directional anyway you have to have them pointing straight at the drone anyway if you move or turn a little you end up losing signal.

I tried a similar 3D printed model
No difference in sub-urban area
5.8 w/o OTG - FCC
1400mt with and without this type of extender.
Also the quality of the signal during the flight is about the same
My next step will be RP-SMA mod with hi-gain omni antenna

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
It has been advised to purchase the 4 hole version that allows the antenna tips to protrude through the top. This type allows for the extender to be positioned in a way to be aligned with the antenna's "sweet spot". I thought I would pass that along for what it is worth.

I tried a similar 3D printed model
No difference in sub-urban area
5.8 w/o OTG - FCC
1400mt with and without this type of extender.
Also the quality of the signal during the flight is about the same
My next step will be RP-SMA mod with hi-gain omni antenna
I find when I turn the spark to face myself on the way back every time it always loses signal I think the WiFi antennas are on the back of the spark somewhere.

I have the Titan Control, I like it because I can use the same antenna with Spark, Mavic Air or Mavic it goes as far as I need it to, I like the quick snap on system they use.

I find when I turn the spark to face myself on the way back every time it always loses signal I think the WiFi antennas are on the back of the spark somewhere.

Yes, this is something I noticed also on a far away flight. Reception was good until I turned the camera side around to face towards me.
I wasn't using a range extender, but I was as about as far out as I've ever gone.

Furthest I've gotten with parabolic range extender dish and OTG cable to Android device was 14,588 ft out (2.8miles) or over 5.5 miles round trip. Here is link to video of screen recorder (not great quality, but includes all the telematics). Under the detail section is the link to the HD version from SD card. I used Sunnylife parabolic range extender dish.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes, this is something I noticed also on a far away flight. Reception was good until I turned the camera side around to face towards me.
I wasn't using a range extender, but I was as about as far out as I've ever gone.

I've heard some say simply fly it back backwards in sport mode.... You dont lose the strength of signal that way.

Hi, new pilot here... Few days actually but have flown other RC helis in the past.
So I got the Hensych foldable booster from Amazon, same as the OP. I'm in CE air space, (North of Ireland) 5.8ghz OTG and I am only getting 1300ft with clear line of sight. I would like at least 3000ft.
I tried the FCC hack with the FLOATER app on Android but didn't seem to work or let me change to 2.4ghz. However I only did this indoors so I'll try outside tomorrow.
The Hensych booster tho I found did not make a difference. But reading through a few posts I'm a little confused. I'm I supposed to use it with the controller on WiFi instead of OTG to get the best out of it?

Hello Walt
Try the « Sunnylife signal booster foldable ». Get it on amazon for 8$59. Works good for my Spark

Post a question in April 2018... get an answer 13 months later ?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Glad you are here. (Seriously)

UPDATE
So again the WiFi would not change over nor would the Floater app let me into FCC. However a good straight area today and i got to almost 1km (3280.84) So obviously line of sight is important. No diference with or without the Hensych foldable booster. Don't waste your money.

UPDATE
So again the WiFi would not change over nor would the Floater app let me into FCC. However a good straight area today and i got to almost 1km (3280.84) So obviously line of sight is important. No diference with or without the Hensych foldable booster. Don't waste your money.

The $8 I spent for a parabolic signal booster is the BEST money I've spent since I bought my Spark. Doubles my range the second I slip it on and and turns a flickering video into a solid stream.

If you already have a great connection the booster obviously isn't necessary. But many areas have more interference and obstacles where the focused signal makes it behave like a whole new drone. It's cheap and folds up so easy to carry.

I've tested a bunch of them and it's very apparent they all come from the same assembly line regardless of the "brand".

The $8 I spent for a parabolic signal booster is the BEST money I've spent since I bought my Spark. Doubles my range the second I slip it on and and turns a flickering video into a solid stream.

If you already have a great connection the booster obviously isn't necessary. But many areas have more interference and obstacles where the focused signal makes it behave like a whole new drone. It's cheap and folds up so easy to carry.

I've tested a bunch of them and it's very apparent they all come from the same assembly line regardless of the "brand".

Agree 100% - close to double the range range when using them properly, no doubt about it. If it's not helping someone, I question if they put them on backwards (don't laugh - I've seen it done). Hint - shiny mirror side points towards the drone.....

Agree 100% - close to double the range range when using them properly, no doubt about it. If it's not helping someone, I question if they put them on backwards (don't laugh - I've seen it done). Hint - shiny mirror side points towards the drone.....

Agreed. I've heard of people who didn't know to remove the protective film that covers the reflective surface. There's no instructions and it's completely transparent so easily left applied in error.

Hint - shiny mirror side points towards the drone.....

And that's mportant to keep in mind, always point towards the Spark to keep a good signal,.
Don't spin around to your buddies to chit chat and break the connection.
D'oh!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef