Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Recharging Question

Rob Hutchings

Join
May 22, 2019
I have a question for the computer geeks. I have a spark fly more combo, and usually use the battery charger that came with it. I also have the micro usb to usb cable, that came with the spark, to charge the battery while it is in the spark by plugging it in to my computer. I also have about six of these cables lying around at home { same connections but very slightly thicker cables} I have found that NONE of these spare cables I have will charge the spark, only the one that came with the spark. Why is that? Happy flying to you all, and best wishes from South Australia.

I have a question for the computer geeks. I have a spark fly more combo, and usually use the battery charger that came with it. I also have the micro usb to usb cable, that came with the spark, to charge the battery while it is in the spark by plugging it in to my computer. I also have about six of these cables lying around at home { same connections but very slightly thicker cables} I have found that NONE of these spare cables I have will charge the spark, only the one that came with the spark. Why is that? Happy flying to you all, and best wishes from South Australia.

Although a handful of USB cables may appear similar externally and have the proper connectors they can differ in terms of circuitry and pin connection. Some are charge only while others include data lines. Some devices demand a signal from the data lines even when only charging.

The Spark will only accept a charging source when it provides a charger signature at the D+/D- pins that it can understand. Some cheap cables don't include D wiring at all. Others short out the D+ to D- wires in hopes of imitating the charge signature but without success.

I've got done Sony noise-cancelling headphones that only accept an even smaller subset of micro USB cables. Best to mark these cables with colored zip tie and store them with the corresponding device to minimize this issue.

I expect a charge only cable will not work as Spark talks to the charger to "negotiate" a high charge rate.

A funny thing I noticed: Spark charges happily from my (old) phone's fast charger in the partly functional 2004 Jeep Liberty. Spark did not charge at all from the usb ports in a friend's BMW.

I expect a charge only cable will not work as Spark talks to the charger to "negotiate" a high charge rate.

A funny thing I noticed: Spark charges happily from my (old) phone's fast charger in the partly functional 2004 Jeep Liberty. Spark did not charge at all from the usb ports in a friend's BMW.
Thanks very much for your advice guy's, I'm learning all the time. This is a really great place to network with those that Know. All the very best to you all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast