Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Regret selling my spark.

Putz

Join
Mar 5, 2018
I had my spark for about a year before I decided to upgrade to the Mavic Pro. When I did, I decided to keep my Spark since I planned on continuing to fly it. After a couple months of flying my new drone, I never once took the Spark off the shelf, so I decided it was time to sell. Now after the newness of my MP has worn off, I actually miss flying the Spark. I love the new MP and don't have a single regret with the upgrade. However I miss the quick launch ability of the spark. In the air and flying in under a minute. Sometimes I just want to go out and fly around in the field for a few minutes. Setting up the MP, ipad and mavmount take a few extra minutes and I look at my case and think "screw it, I don't feel like setting it up for a single flight." So if there is anyone out there that is in this same situation, I strongly recommend holding onto the Spark until you are positive. You may not fly it right away after getting a new drone, but I'm guessing you will after a few months. So now I'm waiting to see what DJI does with its new line of smaller drones Spark 2 or an Air 2, I might have to check one of them out.

I had my spark for about a year before I decided to upgrade to the Mavic Pro. When I did, I decided to keep my Spark since I planned on continuing to fly it. After a couple months of flying my new drone, I never once took the Spark off the shelf, so I decided it was time to sell. Now after the newness of my MP has worn off, I actually miss flying the Spark. I love the new MP and don't have a single regret with the upgrade. However I miss the quick launch ability of the spark. In the air and flying in under a minute. Sometimes I just want to go out and fly around in the field for a few minutes. Setting up the MP, ipad and mavmount take a few extra minutes and I look at my case and think "screw it, I don't feel like setting it up for a single flight." So if there is anyone out there that is in this same situation, I strongly recommend holding onto the Spark until you are positive. You may not fly it right away after getting a new drone, but I'm guessing you will after a few months. So now I'm waiting to see what DJI does with its new line of smaller drones Spark 2 or an Air 2, I might have to check one of them out.

Welcome back, sort of... ?

I want to purchase a M2 zoom in the future and have read stories such as yours that keep me on the fence about pulling the trigger.
I have so much invested in the Spark that I can't get rid of it and move on, so it seems to me that the Spark definitely has a place in the hanger, no matter how many or what type of aircraft one chooses to own.

Hope you get another orginal Spark if the Spark Air Pro 2, or whatever, doesn't pan out as anticipated.

I have two Sparks -- I'm selling one.

Direct message me if you don't want to wait for next generation models to arrive. No way to know how long that could be. Rumors have died down.

I know, the rumors of a spark 2 almost started a month after the spark came out and we are no closer today than then. I almost belive the air could have been the spark 2, but the price point is too high for an entry level pilot. Time will tell.

As far as being back, I never fully left, just didn't post much. I will say however this forum is a lot more pleasant than the MP forum. Too many "experts" on there, they don't have the time to help out, but plenty of time to tell you that you are wrong.

As far as selling one of your 2 drones, let me know what you got. I'll give it some thought.

I know exactly what you mean. The Spark was not my first drone (or even my second or third LOL) but I love it. It is so portable and it is zippy. It really is fun to fly. However I think I will be selling it because I just don't fly it as much since getting my Mavic Air. The Mavic Air is only slightly larger and is generally better than the Spark in all other aspects.

Find a good deal and pick up a Spark for the fun of it!

I am a bit confused though since you are saying that the Spark is so much quicker to set up and fly than your MP. How is that so? The MP propellers stay on during storage just like the Spark, the MP is not that much bigger than the Spark, the remotes are almost the same size, and mounting a tablet/phone on either one is almost the identical process. So what am I missing here?

I know exactly what you mean. The Spark was not my first drone (or even my second or third LOL) but I love it. It is so portable and it is zippy. It really is fun to fly. However I think I will be selling it because I just don't fly it as much since getting my Mavic Air. The Mavic Air is only slightly larger and is generally better than the Spark in all other aspects.

Find a good deal and pick up a Spark for the fun of it!

I am a bit confused though since you are saying that the Spark is so much quicker to set up and fly than your MP. How is that so? The MP propellers stay on during storage just like the Spark, the MP is not that much bigger than the Spark, the remotes are almost the same size, and mounting a tablet/phone on either one is almost the identical process. So what am I missing here?
So when I had the spark, I used an S7 edge, so it was in the holder of the controller. I rarely use a cable because it was during that time when DJI did and didn't want to support it. Honestly I got very good results without cable. So it was the spark, controller, phone and I was flying. Now I'm not saying the MP is a huge setup process, maybe it's just me being lazy. But it's opening the arms, screwing together the mavmount (since it won't fit in my case otherwise), powering on the iPad and connecting the cable. So the spark was maybe 30 seconds and the MP is maybe 4-5. So it's probably just me, but with the spark it was unzip the case and your ready. With the MP it's like, F-it I only have a few minutes for 1 flight and I don't feel like unpacking and repacking it just for that. Probably a lazy way to look at it. Now with that being said, 25 minutes of flight time and 3 batteries makes for a good time. I will say this too, the MP doesn't handle wind as well as the spark did, it must me the smaller footprint in the air. The other thing to consider is the spark looks like a toy to people who are unfamiliar with it. So I never really got bothered by people with it. I get questions all the time with the MP, which is great, it's good to educate people and let them see the screen.

Putz said..."I will say this too, the MP doesn't handle wind as well as the spark did, it must me the smaller footprint in the air. " I just ordered a Mavic 2 Pro to go with my Spark. Anyone else feel the same way about the Mavic and Spark in wind?

A Spark 2 May be in the wings. I have P4 P3 and Spark. I love Spark.

I have limited funds, but that doesn't stop me watching reviews and dreaming. I have my beloved Spark which I purchased new and was a big investment for me. The biggest attraction to me, with any possibility becoming a reality, is a Mavic Air, which to me looks an awesome machine. I watch videos and read specs and wish.
Then I take my Spark out and run a couple of batteries through, and I get that smile on my face and fall in love again and again, realise and all my wishes are in my possession already. I love my Spark, and do everything by the book, and I am repaid by having a fun, fast, and totally reliable little aircraft, that never ever let's me down.
I'm sure the Air would give me exactly the same feelings, but my Spark is like my child and even if I got an Air, I could never get rid of it, even if it just became just a shelf queen.
Sorry to sound slushy but I bet there are other among you who have similar feeling. Or is it just me??

Don't fret don't worry as you are not alone.Theres just something about it that draws you in and gets one musty eyed.

Bloody great drone. Enjoy.

Putz said..."I will say this too, the MP doesn't handle wind as well as the spark did, it must me the smaller footprint in the air. " I just ordered a Mavic 2 Pro to go with my Spark. Anyone else feel the same way about the Mavic and Spark in wind?

Have a look at this, it explains what I have noticed.

MP handles wind very well, better than Spark does.

Mavic 2 is even more wind-ressistant than the MP.

Reactions: Jason M
I can only truly speak from my personal experience. Maybe it's just my setup or the way the wind gusts off my property. I personally felt like I had more control in 20mph plus winds with my spark. I didn't really have the lifting issue as bad as the video showed. My issue with the MP and wind is tilting side to side. Maybe I just notice it more because it's bigger. All l can say is if I raise up to 200 ft and it's 25 mph winds, my MP is all over the place. The gimbal handles the wind a lot better. Even if the thing is bouncing around. In real heavy wind I had some vibration effects while filming with the spark.

I feel you man!
I had my Mavic Pro for about 18 months when I bought my Spark to fly it during holidays hiking in Austria. I was absolutely stunned by the ease of flying the spark when compared to the MP! For me it is mostly the video settings though; with the MP, you always have the idea that you have to put all the settings right before you can take off. With the Spark, you just switch on, press record and fly.

Having said that, I love the Spark, but when I get home and start pixel peeping, then it always disappoints a bit (I am used to the better quality of the MP, and even that often disappoints because I also am used to DSLRs... :p First world problems, I know).

Anyways, long story short; the Spark really has its use as a care-free toy to get our flying fix with. I might hang on to it, even when upgrading to an Air.
-Joost-

Although the Mavic has some nice improvements over the Spark, I don't think I'd sell my Spark if I ever bought one. While it's better in some regards, it's not going to be as much "fun" to fly. The Mavic is more of a utilitarian quad, it's a better camera platform but isn't as nimble, durable, or "carefree" to fly. I don't do that insanity that is drone racing, but I still like to zip around in sport mode and enjoy flying, and that's just not as big of a design consideration for the Mavic. It's too expensive and too delicate for the sort of flying I like to do. I'm sure I would miss that if I ever traded up.

Although I'm not getting rid of my Spark, the Mavic Air is finally looking more attractive to me. Because of the option of quiet propellers. (third party) I may also opt for the extra bright screen DJI sells. This will make it close to perfect for my needs. Extra camera power and all that. And it's compact.

Reactions: pmshop
Although I'm not getting rid of my Spark, the Mavic Air is finally looking more attractive to me. Because of the option of quiet propellers. (third party) I may also opt for the extra bright screen DJI sells. This will make it close to perfect for my needs. Extra camera power and all that. And it's compact.

Be warned...I am still working through my night shot issues with my Mavic Air - two actually.
The first one I got was a refurb flymore from DJI direct and had a couple of stuck pixels on the bottom 2 vertical lines of the rule of thirds...and a faint white grid across the entire field of view.
Turned it in to DJI for repair, got a new Mavic Air (no "R" in the serial) and the stuck pixel was in a different spot...and the grid was more pronounced with varying shades of contrast across the grid as shown in this video:

Engineers are looking at the issue/ sample vids I sent.
I cannot send it back in for now - engagement with the local high school May 2nd - 5th
More to follow as it becomes available

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast