Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

|Return to Home Test DJI Spark| What happens if the Spark controller shuts down in Flight? (Part 1)

JoeCec

Join
Jul 5, 2017
What happens if you shut down or lose connection to DJI Spark's controller in mid-flight? In this video, we go over Return to Home (RTH) feature of the DJI Spark and what happens if you turn a drone controller off in flight or your Spark loses connection with its controller.

Reactions: Firestat
Good demonstration. I have my combo coming this week, and I wonder what else I will have to worry about.

Good demonstration. I have my combo coming this week, and I wonder what else I will have to worry about.
Don't worry just be aware and enjoy flying. Make sure you are aware of electromagnetic interference ie anything metal.. and set the home point.

Also I think it's worth noting if you are flying in an "authorization zone" the RTH function will not work.

Reactions: Firestat and JoeCec
Also I think it's worth noting if you are flying in an "authorization zone" the RTH function will not work.
Good call. I don't have too many of those around me to test.(authorization zones)

I live in one *wink.

I can confirm if you initiate RTH inside the zone or set you home poin inside the zone the spark will instead just land at its current location.

Reactions: Dronason and JoeCec
10-4 thanks for your contribution! Have you modified the spark by chance? I am looking into parameter modification just to see what all is "under the hood" so to speak.

Nah just a vanilla version for me.

I live in one *wink.

I can confirm if you initiate RTH inside the zone or set you home poin inside the zone the spark will instead just land at its current location.
I don't get this result. I work in Class B airspace and it RTHs for me.

I live in one *wink.

Idiot question but where you fare enough from home when you trigger a RTH?

The next question is: Is there a difference between pushing RTH button or loosing RC signal by example ?

It sounds to me like a bug that RTH would not bring back the bird if you start from an authorization zone, it don't sounds safe.
That you cannot reset the home point to a new one inside a special area, that's ok.

What happens if you shut down or lose connection to DJI Spark's controller in mid-flight? In this video, we go over Return to Home (RTH) feature of the DJI Spark and what happens if you turn a drone controller off in flight or your Spark loses connection with its controller.

Your final 'test' - you were already in 'battery low' situation and you flew less than 20 metres away - so RTH initiates landing immediately. You can turn off 'landing check' in the app (at least you can on the Mavic so presume same with Spark).

Idiot question but where you fare enough from home when you trigger a RTH?

The next question is: Is there a difference between pushing RTH button or loosing RC signal by example ?

It sounds to me like a bug that RTH would not bring back the bird if you start from an authorization zone, it don't sounds safe.
That you cannot reset the home point to a new one inside a special area, that's ok.

I tested from a few distances away from the takeoff point and home point with varying results.

Pushing the button and losing signal "should" result in the behavior. However, it appears that the Spark is vary susceptable to EMI and if your controller cannot receive the home point it will land at current position.

Your final 'test' - you were already in 'battery low' situation and you flew less than 20 metres away - so RTH initiates landing immediately. You can turn off 'landing check' in the app (at least you can on the Mavic so presume same with Spark).
I personally have looked all through the app for those settings as I too have a Mavic. I can't seem to find it.

The bird will land where it is if signal is lost and you are close to where it took off from. Move the spark further away and retry the test and it then should return to where it took off from. It is exactly the same with the phantom 4 which I have tested. Within a certain distance from the home point it will just simply land. further away it will fully return home and land depending on the settings you set in the app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme