Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Rotation issue

Goose

Join
May 29, 2017
Loc
Sydney
I've noticed my Spark has started rotating to the left, and it's been gradually getting worse. This is in zero to low wind conditions either under control or with no fingers on the sticks.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to recalibrate something or is it a blade or motor issue?

Thanks in advance!

Most probably you need to calibrate the compass, that should solve the issue. Should be done in full open field with no metallic stuff in the nearby.

Most probably you need to calibrate the compass, that should solve the issue. Should be done in full open field with no metallic stuff in the nearby.

I do a compass calibration every time start a flying session. Should it need to be done for each battery, surely not?

I do a compass calibration every time start a flying session. Should it need to be done for each battery, surely not?
You surely do not need to calibrate your compass each time you fly. DJI recommends to only calibrate when prompted by the Go app. I own 4 other DJI platforms and I can count on 1 hand how many times I had to calibrate them.

Yes, it is worst to do always calibration in a not so good environment as doing only a few but in perfect location.
You should also avoid storing the Spark near strong magnet like loudspeaker in cars.

I have had to do calibration on some flights every 30 seconds
Either you had poor quality GPS (not always matter of how many) or the compass is really not well calibrated.
I would really go for a good compass calibration in a good environment.

I noticed this same issue recently.

I was looking over on the official DJI forum, there's a few reports of this. DJI rep said to calibrate the compass (as suggested here) or/and the IMU. I'll try the latter tomorrow.

I would really go for a good compass calibration in a good environment.

I've generally been in the middle of a football field. But I'm "only" calibrating once per session which is once or twice a week. This doesn't feel like a compass issue though. It's holding its vertical and lateral position perfectly. It just rotates to the right... :confused:

That's exactly a compass calibration issue, at low level. When it is worst, it start to drift in what is called toilet bowl effect. When there is a clear error, the Spark is able to detect it.

Are you using a remote control? If so, have you tried without the RC? My thinking is that the RC sticks need calibration. If the left stick (assuming mode 2) is off, this can happen, and calibration will fix it.

Reactions: Dronason
Is it a constant shift in the heading of the Spark or it is continuously rotating without a ton from you. First is more compass calibration. Second can be RC stick calibration (as indicate delovelady) or IMU gyro calibration.

Are you using a remote control? If so, have you tried without the RC? My thinking is that the RC sticks need calibration. If the left stick (assuming mode 2) is off, this can happen, and calibration will fix it.

Thanks, delovelady. I hadn't considered that. Makes sense though. I'll give that a go too.

How's it going, Goose? Any update?

Not yet, DL. I've done all of the calibrations suggested above except compass, which I'll do at launch site. I haven't had a chance to get down to the park and give it a fly yet. Hoping to do it tomorrow. I'll let you all know if it's resolved.

I started having this issue this evening after launching from a metal grate. (Metal messed up the compass). A re calibration and launch from dirt and all was well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe