Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Seriously considering returning the Spark (Not anymore!)

In general I agree with you about is the Spark and what it can do. But especially for the Android version if has a lot of issues if you try to use any flight mode other than normal one. I got even dialog in Chinese. I see only firmware / software, so it is expected to be corrected.

Thanks to all for the feedback! Decided not to return the Spark...I agree that not all drones are having issues and in any case, one must realize that, as with every new technology of this kind, there will always be a certain element of risk involved which cannot be avoided. If we never accepted risk, we would never have reached the moon. One must also understand that this is not a toy, using it responsibly and carefully goes with the territory.

Glad to see that DJI is acting fast and has released a new firmware...feeling a lot more confident about flying now. Looking forward to learning & sharing with the Spark community here...thanks again all!

Because if you do get this issue, it could seriously hurt someone or seriously damage your bird. So far DJI is fixing them, but is not, so far, replacing lost sparks.
There are reports where DJI replaced lost Sparks, after tedious documentation of the circumstances (flight log etc.). I remember of one case with the sudden fly away issue.

I computed the impact energy of a Spark falling out of sky. My estimate for end final velocity is 18 m/s, impact energy 50J. This should be reached from moderate altitudes well below 50m already. 100J can seriously injure a person as it will likely hit its head (although not its face). However, it won't likely be lethal and is in a range of what police uses to manage an aggressive crowd (50 - 200J rubber bullets, although rubber bullets can kill) ...

That's one of the advantages of the Spark. Unlike its heavier siblings, falling out of the sky it won't kill ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sau
I've had the thing for a while now and haven't had many problems with it. The gesture control is pretty gimmicky but beyond that, there are just occasional issues when palm launching because the accelerometer hasn't been calibrated.

Then again I am using the controller; there might be more issues when using a phone as the controller.

There has been a lot of complaints on this forum and outside about how the Spark is full of problems.

I have had the Spark for about 4 weeks. I am having an absolute blast! No problems at all and definitely not falling out of the sky.... it connects perfectly to my phone's Wi-Fi and never gets disconnected.

The hand automated feature is really useful! The tracking function is impressive. Walking, running and biking it will follow you.

I bought the controller and I am able to reach new heights and distances. Got 2 extra batteries and the multi port chargers.

I feel that this drone is getting a lot of criticism which I is based on things which are not true at all. The drone is smaller than a Coca cola can, what do you expect... it's not going to do the Mavic's job. It's a drone which does an impecable job for it's size. You just have to look at the stability when filming, near perfection. Such a small drone achieving this stability truly amazes me. If you want a drone that is small and travel friendly which can shoot decent shots, then the Spark is for you. The spark is more of a mainstream drone. It is no longer a tool for proffessional photographers and cinematographers. I think the price is steep but considering what it has to offer I have no regrets of getting the Spark.

Obviously, if you are looking to make proffesional shots and have greater heights and 4k video then the Mavic is for you. Or you can find even more expensive drones.

To finish this off, we should stop hating on the Spark and appreciate what it has to offer. Small, stable, for everyone and impressive new technology. Don't just judge the Spark by what people are saying, which are sometimes not backed up by proof.

Sorry for the rant but I had to share my opinion on the Spark. Hope this helps.
Thanks!
I too am new to Drones and your comments are very well said. I too have never disconnected from my WiFi but with all of the comments I did get an OTG Cable just to be safe as I am a newbie. I just download the Updated App and the New Firmware for the Spark and RC and it's loaded with improvments. The Spark is the perfect 1st time Drone. Having a blast with it!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the feedback! Decided not to return the Spark...I agree that not all drones are having issues and in any case, one must realize that, as with every new technology of this kind, there will always be a certain element of risk involved which cannot be avoided. If we never accepted risk, we would never have reached the moon. One must also understand that this is not a toy, using it responsibly and carefully goes with the territory.

Glad to see that DJI is acting fast and has released a new firmware...feeling a lot more confident about flying now. Looking forward to learning & sharing with the Spark community here...thanks again all!

Well said and props to you for keeping faith and also sharing your feedback throughout the frustration stage to now satisfaction. I hope you continue to enjoy your Spark. Safe flying! :)

Reactions: Sparklight

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe