Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

SIM Card Needed in Phone?

Viresh Daya

Join
Dec 7, 2017
I'm currently using my S7 with OTG for my Spark. Still running 701 firmware and the 15 app on Android. Video is very choppy and disconnects after about 60m.

My dad upgraded his phone so I thought I'd give his old iPhone 6+ a go. Correct me if I'm wrong, but video and distance is better using iPhone?

Would I need a sim card for data? Will the DJI go app function without a data connection?

There's no need for data other than another option for updates. As long as the phone can obtain a WiFi signal and/or has a cable plugged into it it'll be perfect for drone use.
Yes, you are correct in that similarly rated iOS devices work much better in almost all cases than Android running devices.

There's no need for data other than another option for updates. As long as the phone can obtain a WiFi signal and/or has a cable plugged into it it'll be perfect for drone use.
Yes, you are correct in that similarly rated iOS devices work much better in almost all cases than Android running devices.

I'm using an iPad mini to connect to my controller.
I found out that without internet on my iPad, the map doesn't show the exact display of where I am on the map and its terrain. Then when I check on my previous flight details, it doesn't show the map because it was not able to fetch it during operation as there was no internet on the device.
Does it make sense if you connect the iPad using OTG to the remote then connect the wireless of iPad to a hotspot so it will always have internet and can fetch the map information?
Also with no internet on the iPad, the RTH controller will not work as it will require internet connection ( I tried it once but it says, mobile device has no GPS -something along those lines.)
Any thoughts based on your experience?

Thanks! What is recommended for iPhones? The WiFi or otg? I see quite a few YouTubers are using WiFi with the iPhone and are able to take a it a reasonable distance.

Is the otg issue the same as android where you have to use an older version of the app?

If the remote is receiving the signal from the drone, and then sending it 5cm to the device how does it matter? I wonder how much of this ios v android stuff is just repeated hearsay.

Are you able to cache it from DJI Go App?
The maps can be cached in DJI GO like this.

If using an Android device, the maps for entire regions/countries can be permanently cached in DJI GO by using the "Offline Map" feature.

DJI-GO-Offline-Map-Feature.jpg

Note: The Offline Map feature is not available in some versions of DJI GO (like DJI GO 4.1.18). If you're currently using a version of DJI GO that does not contain that feature, you can downgrade to an old version of DJI GO (like DJI GO 4.1.15), cache the maps with the Offline Map feature, and then upgrade DJI GO to the previous version.

I'm using an iPad mini to connect to my controller.
I found out that without internet on my iPad, the map doesn't show the exact display of where I am on the map and its terrain. Then when I check on my previous flight details, it doesn't show the map because it was not able to fetch it during operation as there was no internet on the device.
Does it make sense if you connect the iPad using OTG to the remote then connect the wireless of iPad to a hotspot so it will always have internet and can fetch the map information?
Also with no internet on the iPad, the RTH controller will not work as it will require internet connection ( I tried it once but it says, mobile device has no GPS -something along those lines.)
Any thoughts based on your experience?
I don't have a working sim in my phone and several flights have been normal and uneventful for me, when I use OTG (android device) my understanding is the remote controller has GPS as well as the drone so it shouldn't need it for anything other than maps not preloaded for offline usage. This said I have only once ever used RTH, and manually brought it back to land once I got enough signal.
Thanks! What is recommended for iPhones? The WiFi or otg? I see quite a few YouTubers are using WiFi with the iPhone and are able to take a it a reasonable distance.

Is the otg issue the same as android where you have to use an older version of the app?
It's truly what works best for you in your location, no other way to explain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena