Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Slow speed in sport mode?

NaweG

Join
Jun 30, 2019
Flying my spark with the controller, and have the switch set to Sports mode, but it still won't go faster than about 6-7 mph. On Return to Home it usually goes more like 20mph. Is there some other setting I've missed that might be causing it to fly so slow? Most of the time it's not a big deal, but today it would have been a help in trying to get to a nearby bridge :)

Thanks!

There's a switch in the app for a beginners mode that restricts the speed and distance of the Spark when it is activated.

Flip the switch off and you should get faster speeds from the Spark.

Perhaps that's the problem?

Reactions: twickers14
There's a switch in the app for a beginners mode that restricts the speed and distance of the Spark when it is activated.

Flip the switch off and you should get faster speeds from the Spark.

Perhaps that's the problem?

Had already turned off, but did check again to make sure I hadn't somehow flipped it back. Given I did around 1400ft (one way) on the flight, I'm pretty sure it was off then as well, but a good point to double-check.

Anything else I might have missed? Maybe an advanced option? Only thing I can think of is I did leave Object Avoidance on - but had hoped that wouldn't restrict speed, although I can imagine it might since it can't avoid things if going too fast?

The OA is automatically turned off when in Sport mode. You should be zipping around 30 mph.

There is a speed slider in the app that can be changed too.

Maybe that's it?

20190306_170046.png

I have found that some small grains of sand and other gunk have some how gotten into my sport mode switch. When Sport mode doesnt work for me I usually try to push the switch in a bit more. Or just flick it of and on again.It seems that the switch is vulnerable to dust and dirt

The OA is automatically turned off when in Sport mode. You should be zipping around 30 mph.

There is a speed slider in the app that can be changed too.

Maybe that's it?

View attachment 10736

Confirmed it's at max, but noticed that when I brought the app up it kind of "jumped" over to that, so now I'm suspecting I may need to check that before each flight. IOW, maybe it's defaulting and not always moving over...

I have found that some small grains of sand and other gunk have some how gotten into my sport mode switch. When Sport mode doesnt work for me I usually try to push the switch in a bit more. Or just flick it of and on again.It seems that the switch is vulnerable to dust and dirt

Got you. Will try that on the next flight (before take off). Or is it safe to switch during flight?

Reactions: PIxelPete411
Flying my spark with the controller, and have the switch set to Sports mode, but it still won't go faster than about 6-7 mph. On Return to Home it usually goes more like 20mph. Is there some other setting I've missed that might be causing it to fly so slow? Most of the time it's not a big deal, but today it would have been a help in trying to get to a nearby bridge :)

Thanks!
Turn off obstacle avoidance should help! But then you have to be ultra careful piloting with the gentlest stick movements

Got you. Will try that on the next flight (before take off). Or is it safe to switch during flight?
You CAN switch during flight. I noticed dust also - try blowing thru a straw to dislodge

Hoping to get out tomorrow, and will try to put all this good info to work. Also got around to getting my Part 107 test scheduled for August 19th, so busy, busy here :)

Reactions: Spark 317
I do slow speed in sport mode all the time. Not a problem...but

You must be extra sensitive and careful with control sticks so you don’t over react or worse, crash into something... since that setting defeats obstacle avoidance.

I do it mostly when taking selfie video that involves my speaking or recording something close up to eliminate the incessant beeping.

Be careful, use micro movements of the controls (assuming use of the remote). I’d never do it if only a phone for control or without using an OTG cable; which I always use (after putting my iPhone in airplane mode).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex