Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark’s GPS receiver

I tried to retrieve flight records, I could only get 10 items. I think as you said it must have been deleted. I will keep a watch, next time happens I will get it immediately. (it the drone is not lost ;))

There are 2 types of flight log/record:

1) Flight log is a .TXT file that is generated by the Go4 app. It is what has seen the RC. It is easy to retrieve, you always get it but give only a partial view of what happen to the Spark.
2) Flight record is a .DAT file that can be retrieve from the Spark directly using the DJI assistant 2 software as explained HERE. It need to power up and connect the Spark to a computer and it has a limited internal storage capacity for those files, typically only a few records. Also turning on/off the Spark create a record, so in case of a problematic flight, it is better to save the flight record directly. Advantage is that it has more info in it and is not affected by communication with the RC.

The flight log (TXT) can be sufficient for basic diagnostic and provide also a few extra info related to the RC or the gimbal.
Capture101.PNG

The flight record (DAT) is more complete and gives information about the Spark attitude in the air (roll - pitch - yaw), compass ...
Capture102.PNG

Flight log can be uploaded and viewed HERE and the link easily shared. The flight log can be re-downloaded from that web site.
Flight log and Flight record can be processed by CsvView and data plotted as graph.

DJI is blowing me off,

I sent them the flight log in post #29
They sent me this:

"... the reason why you are getting a weak GPS signal message during your flight was in that particular area, there is low GPS signal which leads to your aircraft having a hard time detecting its home point.

I hope this answers your concern. Thank you."

:mad:

Try to show them a log file when you are just waiting at 30 meters and an evidence of what GPS can be received using a phone with a GPS app.
You can also make a small video with a 360° pan to show them that there is no sky obstruction.
Hope you will be successful in that process.

Try to show them a log file when you are just waiting at 30 meters and an evidence of what GPS can be received using a phone with a GPS app.
You can also make a small video with a 360° pan to show them that there is no sky obstruction.
Hope you will be successful in that process.

Sadly, that is exactly what I did
20171008_122112000_iOS.png 20171008_122129000_iOS.png 20171008_122338000_iOS.png 20171008_122436000_iOS.png 20171008_122504000_iOS.png 20171008_123342633_iOS.png 20171008_123435967_iOS.png 20171008_123520272_iOS.png

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-10-08_[07-19-48].txt
    998.1 KB · Views: 0
I have, and DJI is giving me canned answers.
Now they want me to upgrade the firmware - I am current 0600, have hacked downgraded to 0300 to clear out and reloaded 0600
Then after I upgrade, they want me to re-calibrate the IMU and Compass :mad:

Maybe, you're just too polite. If I want a warranty RMA, I get a warranty RMA.
Of course, I may have to pay if nothing was wrong with my product in the first place. But still cheaper than those endless discussions ...

Maybe, you're just too polite. If I want a warranty RMA, I get a warranty RMA.
Of course, I may have to pay if nothing was wrong with my product in the first place. But still cheaper than those endless discussions ...
What makes you so confident about the warranty? I already spent a “hard time” with DJI support. My case was different but they finished it with even more obviously misleading explanation and nothing helps. You can see here:
Drone behavior in ATTI mode

I am done with it...
I have the DJI Care Refresh plan
Made a service ticket and the Spark has shipped to DJI :mad:

All of this conversation about power lines, clear sight, buildings interfering with the GPS setting the home point...it is sad to think that 3 other craft I have built with a clone PixHawk 2.4.8 flight controller ($59) and a clone GPS/ Compass combo ($20) is superior with global positioning than a $499 device. All three craft can get a 3D sat fix within 15 seconds of booting in the similar area as last - 45 seconds in a distant new territory. Up to 20 sats.

The most I have seen with the spark is 15 and STILL did not have a home point set.

I am done with it...
I have the DJI Care Refresh plan
Made a service ticket and the Spark has shipped to DJI :mad:

All of this conversation about power lines, clear sight, buildings interfering with the GPS setting the home point...it is sad to think that 3 other craft I have built with a clone PixHawk 2.4.8 flight controller ($59) and a clone GPS/ Compass combo ($20) is superior with global positioning than a $499 device. All three craft can get a 3D sat fix within 15 seconds of booting in the similar area as last - 45 seconds in a distant new territory. Up to 20 sats.

The most I have seen with the spark is 15 and STILL did not have a home point set.
Man,
I've had the same problems and I'm on your side.
To remind if you did not follow: “I'm not saying no problem with GPS but also I am not confident to conclude. Having experience with DJI support that would be the expected response.” - just to get ready - appreciate this.

OMG! I see what you mean.
Sent an email attached to the online case number email chain informing them I sent the Spark body in and to please merge my online email chain to the repair case number and presented. A day went by with no response so I emailed them to please acknowledge what I had sent. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for your response regarding this concern.

Paul, we already received the case that you've created. I also attached the photos you've sent in your previous email. Please wait for 24-48 business hours for the shipping label.

Thank you for your cooperation regarding this. Have a great day."

My reply - it is already on its way to DJI and should arrive Friday

And gave them the tracking number

Now I am used to "military intelligence" and "hurry up and wait" due to me serving for 14 years.
I just forgot how deep the ignorance can run <eye roll>

Reactions: ericderace
I have a similar issue with my Spark. My original Spark had issues with the Gyro sensor, so I sent it to warranty and they've given me a refurbished one back. I can tell because there was a black marker stain on the cover. In this new one I got, the Gyro is fine but the GPS signal is very poor. The first one I had used to lock GPS inside the house, this one, I can't get it to lock on GPS signal outside my house. I hiked up a mountain yesterday, and on the top, it finally locked on 8 satellites, but as I hovered my hand above it to grab the drone, it would lose all signal and go into ATTI mode.

I haven't even flown this one yet as it won't record the home point. I'm getting 10 sattelites inside my house on my phone, while the drone has been outside for 10 minutes now not locking on GPS. This sucks

Sats inside?
I don't even get that with my home made birds.
But a more open interior like my warehouse (hangar) I can get a 3D lock on the DIYs.
Still zero with the Spark indoors.

Last edited:
It's very odd. I get homepoint set indoors in about 30 secs.(UK)
If I put hand across the top, satellite count dives , atti mode invoked. Remove hand , sats immediately return and gps instant.

Well, they found something - under warranty repair
3-6 days

Robert,
I suspected all along something hardware related to GPS
I once had a flight that lasted 10m 31s - never got a home point set, never got over 100ft (30m)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard