Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Boosted Antenna Mods (my testing and results)

NJSpark

Join
Jun 6, 2019
I want to say I don't see too much on this form on this topic and it seems most think this is a waste of money for the Spark. I don't think so because I like to mod just about anything to see how much I can push the limits or improve upon the original design.Below I would like to post my results of what I have tested and tried so far. Hopefully this post will help someone who is looking to do this to their Spark.

So stock remote in my neighborhood which has a lot of wifi (all tests with stock antennas were done with parabolic dishes that you get on amazon for like 7$):
-2.4ghz 3000ft out
-5.8ghz 3000ft out

Stock Remote in a wide open area where I work less interference and or wifi (again with parabolic dishes):
-5.8ghz 4400ft out

Neither of the above got me to the advertised 1.2 miles DJI claims this lead me to look into a boosted setup that I could use for both Omi antennas and directional, So I ended up buying the Titan boosted setup that was for sale in the classified section of this forum. The setup was a Titan Atlas dual 3w boosted 2.4ghz setup and an already modded remote so I could leave my stock remote "stock". This came with a Set of 5 inch Omni antennas and a Titan 5.8ghz panel. Below are my results (all tested in the same areas I tested above)

Boosted Runs
-2.4ghz 4600ft out (5inch Titan Omni antennas) in my neighborhood (can do more but didn't want to push it)
-2.4ghz 4900ft out (4hawks SR boosted) in my neighborhood (again can do more but didn't want to push it)

-2.4ghz 5400ft out (5inch Titan Omni antennas) where I work in a more open area with a little less wifi interference.
-2.4ghz 6650ft out (4hawks SR boosted) where I work in a more open area with a little less wifi interference.
-Both Runs I could have pushed further but did not want to push it.

Next up but not tested is I swapped out the 3watt 2.4ghz boosters for 4watt 5.8ghz boosters that I got from Rexuav. Once I test those I will post my results . I am also working on using the "Magic Spark" adapter to use a Mavic air battery in my Spark. This will allow full battery telemetry and up to 21 minute run times.

Hopefully someone will find this post helpful if they are looking to mod the Spark for more distance. If you have questions let me know and I would be happy to help out.

Last edited:
Wow. Well above my pay grade and even understanding! Sure there will be Members who will be able to take a look at this great piece of work and perhaps interpret it for us oldies! Thank you for the work and post.

I have reached almost 2900 meters with the parabolic accessory (9470 feet)

Attachments

• Prueba de distancia.jpg
    Prueba de distancia.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 103
That is pretty awesome
-was it over water?
-open field ?
-urban area?
-what firmware on the bird ?
-what version of go 4?

It’s strange that you see so many mixed results but that is pretty awesome.

That is pretty awesome
-was it over water?
-open field ?
-urban area?
-what firmware on the bird ?
-what version of go

It’s strange that you see so many mixed results but that is pretty awesome.

- It was flying over open field with small lagoons.
- I´m not sure if I used the same version I have today (I think so).
Today I have:
-what version of go 4? 4.3.14
-what firmware on the bird ? 01.00.01.14, version 01.00.1000

Attachments

• Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 75
I suspect you don’t see much on this forum about this topic because it would lead to a void warranty and illegal flight. I just don’t get his insistence on flying as far as one can - just because one can doesn’t mean one should. It’s actually far more fun to fly where you can see the aircraft imho.

Reactions: MrCarter76
I suspect you don’t see much on this forum about this topic because it would lead to a void warranty and illegal flight. I just don’t get his insistence on flying as far as one can - just because one can doesn’t mean one should. It’s actually far more fun to fly where you can see the aircraft imho.

Thanks for your comment I assure you I know the “rules” as most of us do. This topic was for the technical aspect of this as far as modifications go.

8169 feet. I think I didn’t have dishes on. At the beach. Had to keep pushing it to get that far.

Attachments

• C7E62911-6D97-433E-B8AD-D4A62FBB5E06.png
    C7E62911-6D97-433E-B8AD-D4A62FBB5E06.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: NJSpark
I'm assuming you are using an OTG cable? I found it dramatically improved the stability of my connection - can't believe it isn't standard equipment in the box!

Reactions: Phxbird57
I want to say I don't see too much on this form on this topic and it seems most think this is a waste of money for the Spark. I don't think so because I like to mod just about anything to see how much I can push the limits or improve upon the original design.Below I would like to post my results of what I have tested and tried so far. Hopefully this post will help someone who is looking to do this to their Spark.

So stock remote in my neighborhood which has a lot of wifi (all tests with stock antennas were done with parabolic dishes that you get on amazon for like 7$):
-2.4ghz 3000ft out
-5.8ghz 3000ft out

Stock Remote in a wide open area where I work less interference and or wifi (again with parabolic dishes):
-5.8ghz 4400ft out

Neither of the above got me to the advertised 1.2 miles DJI claims this lead me to look into a boosted setup that I could use for both Omi antennas and directional, So I ended up buying the Titan boosted setup that was for sale in the classified section of this forum. The setup was a Titan Atlas dual 3w boosted 2.4ghz setup and an already modded remote so I could leave my stock remote "stock". This came with a Set of 5 inch Omni antennas and a Titan 5.8ghz panel. Below are my results (all tested in the same areas I tested above)

Boosted Runs
-2.4ghz 4600ft out (5inch Titan Omni antennas) in my neighborhood (can do more but didn't want to push it)
-2.4ghz 4900ft out (4hawks SR boosted) in my neighborhood (again can do more but didn't want to push it)

-2.4ghz 5400ft out (5inch Titan Omni antennas) where I work in a more open area with a little less wifi interference.
-2.4ghz 6650ft out (4hawks SR boosted) where I work in a more open area with a little less wifi interference.
-Both Runs I could have pushed further but did not want to push it.

Next up but not tested is I swapped out the 3watt 2.4ghz boosters for 4watt 5.8ghz boosters that I got from Rexuav. Once I test those I will post my results . I am also working on using the "Magic Spark" adapter to use a Mavic air battery in my Spark. This will allow full battery telemetry and up to 21 minute run times.

Hopefully someone will find this post helpful if they are looking to mod the Spark for more distance. If you have questions let me know and I would be happy to help out.
Ok NJ Spark
I started flying the Spark about 3 months ago. I've tried with out the wind surfers ( parabolic ). and got almost 5000 ft. I was thinking I should be able to get 12K with the parabolic.
Well the Spark proved me wrong. Thursday it was a nice cool morning 6 to 10 mph wind from the north. I'll be flying straight out to the west. temp was in the 70's hum. in the 20%.
Im setting in the bed of my truck. I lost all sign then I was going to turn around. and was getting a little data and video. So that is why the poor return. and yes I need a battery mode. but I think I can do better that this even.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme