Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark capability without GPS

Singularity

Join
Nov 8, 2017
Hello all. Question. How far has anyone taken their Spark without GPS?

I am asking because on a recent trip to the big Island of Hawaii, my Spark was basically stuck in a mode even more extreme than beginner mode. My spark would not travel farther than about 30 feet. I am assuming the drone was operating in ATTI mode since GPS was at absolute zero. There were zero satellites available where I was.

Although this was expected since I was I was at the back of a very remote valley in the north end of the Island, Waimanu Valley. It was a very big disappointment traveling all that way to such a remote place to have the spark basically crippled.

Why couldn’t my Spark fly any farther without GPS? I get that it will be more dangerous to fly but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Sparkster
Hello all. Question. How far has anyone taken their Spark without GPS?

I am asking because on a recent trip to the big Island of Hawaii, my Spark was basically stuck in a mode even more extreme than beginner mode. My spark would not travel farther than about 30 feet. I am assuming the drone was operating in ATTI mode since GPS was at absolute zero. There were zero satellites available where I was.

Although this was expected since I was I was at the back of a very remote valley in the north end of the Island, Waimanu Valley. It was a very big disappointment traveling all that way to such a remote place to have the spark basically crippled.

Why couldn’t my Spark fly any farther without GPS? I get that it will be more dangerous to fly but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Flying with remote controller, or just via device (iPhone/Android)?

Reactions: Singularity
Yes it has flown much further in previous flights. Has been flown many times.
This is a first line Spark that I preordered it when it was announced. I have been very patient with it and careful.

I'm stumped...

According to the local regulation, was there any restriction to fly around the area?

It was in the middle of nowhere on the big island of Hawaii. I got an response at the dji forums about flying without GPS and basically the spark is limited to a altitude of 30 feet in that situation.

Unless anyone has exceeding that altitude with the same conditions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe