Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark crashed, RTH fail and timeout

Mike_U

Join
Oct 21, 2017
Hello,

It's my first post here, and unfortunately a very sad one. My Spark has crashed, for me it seems it might've been a software error.

We went with my girlfriend around 7-8AM for a short flight in the Gdansk Old Town. I was taking some pictures around 100m above, when a homeless man started asking me for cigarettes. I tried to explain him I'm busy, and at the very same moment I lost track of the Spark. Battery was going down, and suddenly I lost the signal.

I lost the signal many times before, Spark always started the RTH procedure and when he came closer, I regained the connection and the ability to pilot him.

Today it was different. I started to freak out a bit that he may start descending a few hundred meters away from me, so I asked my GF to go there and try to spot him. Myself, I stayed near the place he took off. I tried to start the RTH procedure a few times, but I constatly got popups saying RTH failed or RTH timeout. There was no signal, I couldn't see or hear him. The RTH altitude was set to 50m.

I was already thinking he drifted away to the drone-heaven, when suddenly I've heard him descending and when I turned back he crashed straight onto the ground, few meters away from "Home".

Some plastic element fell off, no idea what it is. The casing has unseald and bended (looks rough), a few visible scratces are present as well. The battery that's been used for this misfortunate flight doesn't charge (red light on the hub), and the drone is unsteady in the air (probably issues with one or more motors). No idea if the gimbal/camera is functional.

Do you think DJI may consider it a software issue and offer a replacement? I had no DJI Care, just regular warranty. To be honest, I'm traumatized now, I loved the Spark, but I cannot afford a new one... What's worst is I do not feel responsible for the crash, as it seems the Spark had so many issues with the RTH. The RTH was set to 50m, but it kept drifting at 94m even though the battery was almost dead.

I'm attaching the logs here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

What's your opinion on it?

Well the log says that an auto land was initiated by the drone at 17%, moments later you tried to do return to home, but by this time you would have been fighting the auto landing. Another user showed an example of their drone initiating auto landing at 18% a couple of days ago. The only time it happened to me was one time I let it get down to 10%.
You must have missed it when it first started RTH at 7.40.02

Pilot error.

Seems either an erroneous VPS height reading prevented automatic descent until battery was completely dead and it fell down. What were the weather conditions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502