Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Disconnecting Mid-Flight

Is it:

• Faulty Replacement Product

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something is new in my neighborhood causing interference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Micah Smith

Join
Aug 2, 2017
So I recently crashed my drone, I guess the day before the current firmware update (.0500) came out. I sent the drone into DJI Care Refresh Express, and received the replacement Spark today, so this is the first time to fly the Spark with the new firmware. I took the Spark up and started getting "Wi-fi interference. Move away from bluetooth or wifi devices. Fly with caution" across the status bar, never happened before. The video feed was extremely messed up and super delayed if it finally cleared up. Again, never happened before. I decided to go ahead and fly LOS and just flew around the yard for a couple minutes. After a few more minutes, I looked down to check my battery percentage, and the app showed "Disconnected", but the remote still was connected. I checked my Wi-fi settings on my phone and the Spark wasn't showing up in the list. Landed, turned off everything and turned back on, everything was ok for a minute, then everything listed above happened, in the same order and about the same timing again. Do y'all think this is a firmware issue, or did I get a faulty replacement unit? Should I call DJI about this tomorrow? Thanks for y'alls input!

I have also zero issue with new versions. As it just comes from DJI I will call them.
App to RC and RC to Spark uses each a different wifi band 2.4G / 5.8G If Spark select to use 5.8G, then it leaves 2.4G for the RC. At the same time it means that there was activities at 2.4G otherwise it would have took it. Do you remember what band was indicated?
If discussion with DJI goes nowhere, I would suggest to retry at a totally remote location and double check for any Bluetooth or wifi nearby. If it fails again, I would go back to dji with the flight record as evidence.

Hi folks, I have done my first test flight today. To my disappointment to discover that although used the Controller, range was no more than 100ft. Coming back the video was cluttered and made it impossible to fly fpv. Only LOS.
Previously I owned a Hubsan H501S. It had much more Video range 5.8Ghz with modified controller (Spironet Fatshark). Owned a couple of more lower end quadcopters before so flying without A-GPS gives more confidence.

Using WiFi DJI Controller / Personal Device have my doubts how reliable the link Video/Control would be.
While flying in ATTI at home I lost my device link from the Controller while the Spark was not flying.

This is Wifi and it has to be shared with others.
Are you in CE mode ?
To leave you some hope, it is possible to reach 1000 meters at 2.4G or 5.8G (less often) with no bluetooth or other wifi nearby.

Hey y'all, I live in a very small rural West Texas town, so thats what made me think it probably wasn't some kind of interference. I'll run about 5 miles out of town later and see how it does in the middle of nowhere. I typically end up knowing more about the product than the DJI support does and it ends up making calling them un-helpful. I'll keep trying with them though.

Hey y'all, I live in a very small rural West Texas town, so thats what made me think it probably wasn't some kind of interference. I'll run about 5 miles out of town later and see how it does in the middle of nowhere. I typically end up knowing more about the product than the DJI support does and it ends up making calling them un-helpful. I'll keep trying with them though.
Be sure to turn off or in airplane mode any bluetooth device. It seems to be really important.

Be sure to turn off or in airplane mode any bluetooth device. It seems to be really important.
Hmm, just thought of something...my Apple Watch uses bluetooth to my phone that i’m flying from, could that be the problem? Before the new drone it wasn’t a problem. I don’t know.

Hmm, just thought of something...my Apple Watch uses bluetooth to my phone that i’m flying from, could that be the problem? Before the new drone it wasn’t a problem. I don’t know.
Most probably yes.
Bluetooth use the whole range of 2.4G, so it will regularly but shortly disturb the wifi link, either the device-RC or RC-Spark link, the one at 2.4G. First you can try to disable bluetooth on your phone and see, that's a little trial and error process. Personally I have a Garmin watch with Bluetooth and I leave it in the car. Any phone, tab has then bluetooth disabled and if I fly in an urban area, I don't expect too much.
Another possible is the uSD card. In another thread, the solution was to reformat or replace the card (my memory...). Cheap to try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502