Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark erratics altitude after takeoff

Sean_OL

Join
Jul 13, 2020
I have a Spark that worked great the first year I got it (2017-2018) that I haven’t really used since. I tried once last year and it was erratic on takeoff, so I left it until I had time to come back to it. Today I turned it on, it took hovered for a second and began losing altitude. I tried correcting and for a moment it looks like it had flown up and stabilized. But then it dropped landed in a flower bed and lost broke a propeller.

I’m going to replace the propellers tomorrow but am wondering what I should be looking to check. I did the compass calibration and it said GPS was good to go. I did take off from the app, and had it in beginner mode since it had seemed erratic when I last used it.

Attaching an image from the app showing my status in case I missed anything.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Attachments

• 1167D374-954A-46EE-A36A-C746931D72AE.png
    1167D374-954A-46EE-A36A-C746931D72AE.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 32
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Sean_OL.

Since it's been a while when you flew, make sure the Go4 app and the Spark have the latest updates.

Along with a compass calibration, you might as well do an IMU calibration just to be sure.

Did you receive any errors during your flight(s)?

The flight logs on your device may be retrieved by following the instructions here.

You could copy and paste a link back to here if you would like the members to look at it and possibly help.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

I did check for updates. I’ll need to grab my laptop with iTunes on it to download the logs. Will be a bit, but not ignoring and grateful for help.

I have a Spark that worked great the first year I got it (2017-2018) that I haven’t really used since. I tried once last year and it was erratic on takeoff, so I left it until I had time to come back to it. Today I turned it on, it took hovered for a second and began losing altitude. I tried correcting and for a moment it looks like it had flown up and stabilized. But then it dropped landed in a flower bed and lost broke a propeller.

I’m going to replace the propellers tomorrow but am wondering what I should be looking to check. I did the compass calibration and it said GPS was good to go. I did take off from the app, and had it in beginner mode since it had seemed erratic when I last used it.

Attaching an image from the app showing my status in case I missed anything.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

probably a calibration issue. Like you I hadn’t flown for a year and had trouble calibrating it. Stupidly I then took it straight up with low battery then on RTH, started descending about 50 ft where it didn’t take off from onto a tree stopped it’s decent I tried to control it but had no control and it then flew away. I found it a week later Got it to calibrate and it would take off try to hover then crash. Removed the props finding a broken one. Hope that helps

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
So I calibrated the IMU, tried the Spark out in beginner mode and had a successful test flight for about 9 minutes. I landed at 20% battery and put in my second. I put in the second battery and immediately had the same issue again. Guess it’s a battery issue.

Reactions: basily
So I calibrated the IMU, tried the Spark out in beginner mode and had a successful test flight for about 9 minutes. I landed at 20% battery and put in my second. I put in the second battery and immediately had the same issue again. Guess it’s a battery issue.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, this kind of stuff can be battery related. Look at your logs. Doing a good discharge and charge cycle on the battery might fix it, unless the battery is actually damaged.

hello everyone
i have the same problem but my spark show at the VPS Altitude N/A and i don’t have no more idea how to fix that
here is the link log view
i remplaced the downward sensor and nothing change
please any one can help me with just an idea

hello everyone
i have the same problem but my spark show at the VPS Altitude N/A and i don’t have no more idea how to fix that
here is the link log view
i remplaced the downward sensor and nothing change
please any one can help me with just an idea

I'm not an expert at reading the logs, but it looks like you didn't wait for the Spark to establish a Home Point (satellite count too low) and just launched in Atti-mode.

I don't know what's going on with the VPS other than it appears to be not working or getting conflicting information from the other components (GPS, barometer, etc).

One of data messages also indicated a GEO zone of some type like near an airport and initiating an Auto land.

I had a very erratic flight once that lasted 30 seconds due to me placing a strobe light on the bottom next to the VPS camera.

It never went over 20 feet in height but bounced up and down about a foot or two in the air.

I moved the strobe away from the camera and never had a problem since. I think the intense flashing of the strobe affected the Sparks ability to "see" the ground and the poor thing didn't know what to do.

The Spark should be able to fly without GPS, such as indoors, and would require the VPS to be operating properly in a well lit environment so it can "see" the surface underneath.

Just a guess. ?

I'm not an expert at reading the logs, but it looks like you didn't wait for the Spark to establish a Home Point (satellite count too low) and just launched in Atti-mode.

I don't know what's going on with the VPS other than it appears to be not working or getting conflicting information from the other components (GPS, barometer, etc).

One of data messages also indicated a GEO zone of some type like near an airport and initiating an Auto land.

I had a very erratic flight once that lasted 30 seconds due to me placing a strobe light on the bottom next to the VPS camera.

It never went over 20 feet in height but bounced up and down about a foot or two in the air.

I moved the strobe away from the camera and never had a problem since. I think the intense flashing of the strobe affected the Sparks ability to "see" the ground and the poor thing didn't know what to do.

The Spark should be able to fly without GPS, such as indoors, and would require the VPS to be operating properly in a well lit environment so it can "see" the surface underneath.

Just a guess. ?
it's a new downward sensor the infrared and the little camera behind
the problem is i don't know why it show the vps sensor didn't a value and show N/A and no error code on the app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit