Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark gimbal lock?

Previous Member

Join
May 26, 2017
In all the reviews I have watched, I haven't seen one refer to a gimbal lock for the Spark. Anyone seen one or any information about it or any links about a gimbal protective cover?

The gimbal lock on the Phantoms and Mavic was less than a brilliant piece of engineering, and if users forgot to take them off, it could lead to a gimbal motor overload and cause permanent damage. If they finally alleviated the gimbal lock, it would make me very happy, but they would still need a gimbal protective cover.

Given that it's only two axis there probably won't be a lock. Very similar design to the Inspire 2's FPV Cam.

Compared to other cameras and gimbals, the Spark's is a lot more self-contained, not a whole lot exposed that can be damaged.

Given that it's only two axis there probably won't be a lock. Very similar design to the Inspire 2's FPV Cam.

Compared to other cameras and gimbals, the Spark's is a lot more self-contained, not a whole lot exposed that can be damaged.

I would just be concerned about loose pitching and rolling of the cam when the power is off. But if DJI isnt going to include a gimbal lock, there must a reason. The pitch motor is external but the roll motor seems to be internal.

Taking into consideration of the HD-2D which was manufactured for the Phantom 1 series around 5 years ago, I would think its about time DJI has made a durable lock-free gimbal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Taking into consideration of the HD-2D which was manufactured for the Phantom 1 series around 5 years ago, I would its about time DJI has made a durable lock-free gimbal.

Right on. HD-2D...that's a throwback! You're showing your age now!

The Spark gimbal does not require a lock because it does not have a simple vibration damping system like the Mavic, Phantom, Inspire (i.e., when you move the drone the gimbal does not vibrate). I'm almost certain, one of a hundred companies out there who make silly accessories for the Mavic will certainly make something for the Spark.... or Polar Pro will and then charge an arm & a leg.

The Spark gimbal does not require a lock because it does not have a simple vibration damping system like the Mavic, Phantom, Inspire (i.e., when you move the drone the gimbal does not vibrate). I'm almost certain, one of a hundred companies out there who make silly accessories for the Mavic will certainly make something for the Spark.... or Polar Pro will and then charge an arm & a leg.

I think you will find it could have the vibration damping. Look at this leaked photo of the gimbal ;)
mmexport1491391393202-jpg.79875

Notice the dampers :)

From videos I've seen the Spark's camera vibration is very subtle but watching videos of people handling the Mavic, it looks like the camera goes all over the place with large swaying motion when bumped.

Because of those larger movements and a free floating gimble when not powered, it makes sense for a lock mechanism to reduce damage posed by excessive shake from transporting. There doesn't appear to be a need for such a clip on Spark's smaller camera gimble that doesn't show nearly as much vibration as Mavic's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme