Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark landed in creek. Got it back, but it's soaked....

shuggins

Join
Oct 11, 2018
Loc
Grapevine, TX
After about 100 flights, I tried something aggressive even though I had heard the low battery notification (all my fault, no Spark malfunction). Once critically low battery notification went off, it landed where it was at, which was 300 feet away...into a creek (2 feet of water).

I couldn't find it as the sun was setting. I used (for the first time) the Find My Drone feature in Go 4 app. It was really helpful! I located it this morning in 2 feet of water. It was submerged for 12 hours. It's in fine shape - no scratches or abrasions of \any kind. But, it's soaked. I took battery out and it's sitting on a towel right now.

It seems like this has been mentioned here before - people landing or crashing in water and being able to get their Spark (or other quad) back. I looked and couldn't find old posts. Have any of you experienced this and brought your Spark back to life?

If so, what did you do? Is there a chance if I am patient and let it totally dry out (how long will that take?), will it be alright? Somehow, I'll bet the intelligent flight battery is toast.

Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated! And, yea, I realize this was just careless on my part. A hard lesson learned... don't mess with a low battery - period.

For starters get yourself a big bag of rice and put the Spark and battery in a sealed bag covered in rice, and leave it there for several days in a warm place....Then say a little prayer and wait.

I'll give that a try. Thanks. Not known to pray, but guess it's time to start!

Rice probably won't work. Take the cover plate off the Spark and leave it in a bright warm place for a few days. Since you said it was submerged for 12 hours I wouldn't get my hopes up. That's enough time for water to seep into critical components

Last edited:
> I wouldn't get my hopes up. That's enough time for water to seep into critical components

*gulp*

Your biggest problem is the fact that it was under power when it went down. As a result it sets up electrolysis and most definitely will compromise many components. Feel sorry for you, not much probability of revival.

electrolysis? dang...where's the plank? :(

In all seriousness, we'll see. I'm not ready to give up on 'er just yet. I have it drying out - will be patient and see. Maybe I'll report a happy ending.... Heck, if the battery is toast then fine, just not the Spark!

Reactions: windryder
I did read of someone, I believe on this site, that did bring a Spark back to life using the rice method after being submerged...but it wasn't submerged for 12 hours I don't believe.

Use the forum search feature up top and search the word "rice". I just did and there's dozens of posts of people who dried out Sparks...some successfully. At least it was fresh water and not salt...but I tend to agree, 12 hours is a long time if it was fully submerged.

Good luck!!

Most of the posts I've sent when a Spark powered up after submersion didn't pan out long term. If it somehow survives the initial insult they ultimately succumb to the delayed effects of corrosion.

I hope that you are the exception.

I'm not one to get extra insurance or buy a 'product protection plan' but... after destroying a Spark myself I think DJI Refresh is an exception to the rule. I highly recommend it. Even experienced pilots get careless or unlucky. Now both my drones are covered. Just a thought

Reactions: Thunder50
I did read of someone, I believe on this site, that did bring a Spark back to life using the rice method after being submerged...but it wasn't submerged for 12 hours I don't believe.

Use the forum search feature up top and search the word "rice". I just did and there's dozens of posts of people who dried out Sparks...some successfully. At least it was fresh water and not salt...but I tend to agree, 12 hours is a long time if it was fully submerged.

Good luck!!
Rice will work but am doubtful considering 12 hrs submergence. Battery will be shot. My Spark flipped off the bow of my kayak & was in water upside down for less than 20 seconds; battery was toast. Dried in rice for 2-3 days, 10-12 flights since- seems to be AOK.

Thank you ALL for your replies. I really appreciate it. It's funny, no one in my non-drone family understands the distraught of this, but I can tell you all do. DJI Refresh sounds like where I'll be going with my new Spark. I'm still not going to give up hope, but it sure sounds like I'm going to get another Spark. I still have 4 extra batteries and lots of other accessories.

I have a Mavic Air, but I cannot imagine going on without a Spark. May sound silly to some, but it doesn't to me...

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
If it somehow survives the initial insult they ultimately succumb to the delayed effects of corrosion.

I totally agree with the above....like corrosion never sleeps.
If you are planning to get another spark, get it now and let the submerged unit sit for a long time and get your mind out of it.
So sorry mate...

And in reality you have the extra batteries, remote control, and all the accessories, so to replace only the Spark is really pretty reasonable....and you'll have a parts machine at worst case.

I got DJI refresh when I got mine and haven't needed it yet, which after 80+ flights really surprises me....but I keep getting braver and pushing it further so I'm sure "it" will happen. I did trim some Maple tree tops last week in sport mode and changed out my 1st propeller, lol....and I named mine "Yellow Submarine" in anticipation of taking a bath at some point. Just hope i can retrieve it if that happens.

80 flights and yer just now changing props? Lol.... dang, you're a good pilot. Re: getting braver, hear ya! Man, just don't ignore that low battery...ever!

Thunder50- brilliant advice.... I found me a brand new "spark only" deal for $210 on eBay free shipping.... gonna just do it. Was surprised they're running that cheap. Yer right, mano, very reasonable.

Reactions: Thunder50
Maybe the fact that it dived into fresh water might be the critical factor. If it had dropped into the sea, I think for sure corrosion would be a BIG factor. I hope it lives, good luck.

Mornin' all. Just a quick sad, but expected result. This morning, after 5 days in rice, in a warm, closed off container in a closet, I gingerly pulled it out...dusted it off, ran it under a hair dryer on cold for 15 minutes, put a fresh battery in it and power it up. Nothing. Dead. Let it sit for 45 more minutes and gave it another whirl. Nothing at all.

I think what every one suspected....the 12 hours completely submerged did it in. You know, I haven't opened it up (I will keep it for parts), but man! The pins underneath the Spark that connect to the battery had ALREADY begun turning green! I can only imagine what the inside of it looks like.

The new Spark should be in Friday. Same color....and I will activate DJI Refresh this time around.

Thanks to everyone for piping in on this. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunate but agree with having dji refresh.
Was it a wide creek or it just came down in the 1 worst place?

Creek was maybe 12-15 feet wide. It landed perfectly in the middle of it. 2 feet of (cold) water. Find my Drone in the Go 4 app is pretty darn cool... Helped me locate it.

Reactions: Sparksupersonic
Mornin' all. Just a quick sad, but expected result. This morning, after 5 days in rice, in a warm, closed off container in a closet, I gingerly pulled it out...dusted it off, ran it under a hair dryer on cold for 15 minutes, put a fresh battery in it and power it up. Nothing. Dead. Let it sit for 45 more minutes and gave it another whirl. Nothing at all.

I think what every one suspected....the 12 hours completely submerged did it in. You know, I haven't opened it up (I will keep it for parts), but man! The pins underneath the Spark that connect to the battery had ALREADY begun turning green! I can only imagine what the inside of it looks like.

The new Spark should be in Friday. Same color....and I will activate DJI Refresh this time around.

Thanks to everyone for piping in on this. I really appreciate it.

So sorry mate ! My worse fear is flying above water for there is always a chance that we can crash into it .
Look at the good side....another spark is coming friday !!!

Dismantle the dead spark as soon as you can to save lots of parts as you can, spark parts are not cheap.

With the DJI Refresh on the new spark, should be good.

Have a good and fun flight and see up in the air !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar