Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark lens hood

Surfnut

Join
Feb 23, 2019
Hi all. I tried one of those plastic lens hoods off EBay, as much to help protect the lens ( which I feel is very exposed) as to shield the suns rays. Anyway, I had to take it off as a I kept getting a Gimbal overheating error message and that did seem to cure the problem, so my question is, do any of these work? Can anyone recommend one that doesn’t cause unforeseen issues? Thanks

I had the same, wanted to protect the precious gimbal..
Only to find out is causes gimbal errors..

Now I only use it during transport..

Reactions: Surfnut
The lens hoods are only used to protect the lens and sensor when the Spark is in the case. If you wanted to protect the lens from scratches when flying then perhaps a snap on filter like Polar Pro.

Ok thanks McCloud. It annoys me that they re allowed to advertise them tho as Sun shade lens hoods, when they re nothing of the kind...

Reactions: McCloudSpark
Ok thanks McCloud. It annoys me that they re allowed to advertise them tho as Sun shade lens hoods, when they re nothing of the kind...
I think that the sun shade can actually be on when flying but I don't have one to know for sure. Just not the lens hood.

There are gimbal protectors and there are sun hoods and sun shades. Not the same thing. The one you bought looks like it is too small and probably causes the gimbal to hit it causing the gimbal errors. This one works just fine. I bought it on ebay. Here is the description as ebay links do not work here. Camera Lens Sunhood Sunshade Protector Cover Accessories for DJI SPARK Drone

Attachments

• Sun Hood.jpg
    Sun Hood.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Andre Levite
There are gimbal protectors and there are sun hoods and sun shades. Not the same thing. The one you bought looks like it is too small and probably causes the gimbal to hit it causing the gimbal errors. This one works just fine. I bought it on ebay. Here is the description as ebay links do not work here. Camera Lens Sunhood Sunshade Protector Cover Accessories for DJI SPARK Drone

Agreed. I have same camera hood as your photo and zero gimbal errors. I use it every flight to reduce glare (lens flare) and protect camera from impact.

I also use a separate gimbal cover to protect gimbal mechanism and camera lens during storage and transport.

Hi all. I tried one of those plastic lens hoods off EBay, as much to help protect the lens ( which I feel is very exposed) as to shield the suns rays. Anyway, I had to take it off as a I kept getting a Gimbal overheating error message and that did seem to cure the problem, so my question is, do any of these work? Can anyone recommend one that doesn’t cause unforeseen issues? Thanks
I have two cover devices. Very cheap. One is a cover to be used when traveling. I too (accidentally) had it on when starting to fly and got the same message. It protects by securing the gimbal. The one I should have put on is merely a sun shade that extends a bit over the camera, and snaps on the Spark just like the protector.

I have a lens hood that came with a kit that I thought I had to have... In normal flight it wouldn't protect the lens just reduce flare..just like tilting the gimble down a little..so that got tossed..also included were landing gears extenders that turn the sleek little Spark into something looking like a walmart cheapie... tossed...I hand catch in bad terrain and find a big rock or something smooth to launch from. I tried my car hood...bad compass errors..yikes.. also included...Prop protectors that caused a cut blade..I decided not to take legal action on that...but it did come with a dandy gimble protector that covers the bottom lens as well and stays on. It made the kit all worth while:) and allows me to just more or less shove the Spark into the soft bag that it came with. I love the soft bag. It holds everything including the charger and is super easy to carry or pack.
I don't know why that shade would cause overheating..maybe there is a heat sensor that is being blocked? I put a skin on my Spark and carelessly came a little close to a bottom lens and that resulted in some extremely erratic flight. These things are really tightly engineered it seems, which is why I'm hesitant to fly with the aftermarket props that have. They test fly OK but seem to be lighter and flexier(sp) so I'm worrying that they might cause the motors to over rev..etc....is this post too long...yeah I kinda thought it was

Thanks guys. Just wanna try and find something that ll help protect the lens a bit in the event of a low drop. I know any higher and nothing will. Just don’t want something that triggers error

Thanks guys. Just wanna try and find something that ll help protect the lens a bit in the event of a low drop. I know any higher and nothing will. Just don’t want something that triggers error
I added some springy legs to mine to raise it up a bit off of the ground for the reason you stated above - just a thought for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar