Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Skin/Decal Warning

aviscomi

Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Philadelphia, PA
I copied & posted the below directly from DJI Moderator on the DJI Forum in regards to skins:

"Hi guys, if you want to change the color for Spark, please do not use the sticker with carbon fiber material which will have a negative influence on its performance."

You cant do it but we're not going to tell you why.

You cant do it but we're not going to tell you why.
I can only assume that depending on how the carbon fiber skin is made (i.e. real carbon fiber which I highly doubt) it could add to the multitude of range/transmission/connection issues by blocking the signal strength.

Reactions: JD4x4
I use all kinds of vinyl and skin materials all the time and its possible that some of the skins that can be purchased have a thin metallic foil layer above the adhesive. This, when stuck to the top of the Spark could cause interference with the GPS unit, blocking some of the signal or the wifi by absorbing some of the radio waves. I cant see any of the standard vinyl stuff causing any issues other than maybe the adhesive having a reaction with the type of plastics used on the spark or adding a tiny bit of weight and thickness to its chassis.

I use all kinds of vinyl and skin materials all the time and its possible that some of the skins that can be purchased have a thin metallic foil layer above the adhesive. This, when stuck to the top of the Spark could cause interference with the GPS unit, blocking some of the signal or the wifi by absorbing some of the radio waves. I cant see any of the standard vinyl stuff causing any issues other than maybe the adhesive having a reaction with the type of plastics used on the spark or adding a tiny bit of weight and thickness to its chassis.
Thanks for the clarification...Judging by DJI's statement it's probably fair to say that prior to sending in any Spark for warranty/repair work peel off decal first.

Reactions: JD4x4 and Malakai
Thanks for the clarification...Judging by DJI's statement it's probably fair to say that prior to sending in any Spark for warranty/repair work peel off decal first.
Yeah definitely, even though technically it shouldn't make any difference it could be their first port of call for refusing or charging for the repair claiming modification of the aircraft.

I copied & posted the below directly from DJI Moderator on the DJI Forum in regards to skins:

"Hi guys, if you want to change the color for Spark, please do not use the sticker with carbon fiber material which will have a negative influence on its performance."

I didn't know real carbon fiber was used in those stickers... I thought it was vinyl that mimicked the design and look of carbon fiber.

I didn't know real carbon fiber was used in those stickers... I thought it was vinyl that mimicked the design and look of carbon fiber.
Yeah, its its pressed with a carbon fiber look is all. There is no carbon fiber in any vinyl stickers, they need to be flexible and as such carbon fiber would prevent that as for carbon fiber to work it has to be laminated in layers.

"please do not use the sticker with carbon fiber material" I don't think we have anything to worry about from the carbon fiber look stickers.

"please do not use the sticker with carbon fiber material" I don't think we have anything to worry about from the carbon fiber look stickers.
It's possible the adhesive used on them could react with the plastic on the spark. There is similar issue with the Nintendo Switch, certain types of adhesives used on the vinyl damage the plastic when you remove the vinyl sticker.

Reactions: Steve P
I know that in rc real carbon fiber can interfere with antennae transmission but I would be very surprised if vinyl stickers used real carbon fiber

I have Slickwraps Carbon Skin on my Nexus 6 and it's doesn't affect anything like GPS or Signals. Well I have ordered a Carbon Skin for Spark from them. I shall see if it has any affects. Screenshot_20170620-052007.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef