Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark vs Mini

Join
Mar 9, 2020
Hi,

I was looking into buying a Spark, but then the Mini was released and the Spark was discontinued. I joined the Mini forum and there was talk that the Mini was to light and there have been issues where they are lost due to the wind. So maybe the Spark would be a better choice for me? People said that the Mini camera was better than the Spark.

Could I ask you for your opinions on this please.

Steve

I have two Spark drones and I would consider buying a mini as well. I have seen evidence that the MM does well in light to moderate winds. If you would like to see proof of that, then watch some of pmshop's videos taken with a MM. Here is one of his latest that is all about wind and the MM.

Hi,

I was looking into buying a Spark, but then the Mini was released and the Spark was discontinued. I joined the Mini forum and there was talk that the Mini was to light and there have been issues where they are lost due to the wind. So maybe the Spark would be a better choice for me? People said that the Mini camera was better than the Spark.

Steve
I have no experience with the Mini so can only comment on the Spark. It is still available at Walmart and Best Buy may have it. I bought mine second hand using the Let Go app. Many drones are posted for sale on Let Go, Offer Up, and Facebook sales. I got mine almost brand new with controller, two batteries, a charger that can charge 4 batteries, the remote control, and a phone all at once, and a carrying case. $275.00.
It must be registered with the FAA, the Mini is below .55 lbs and does not need to be registered. My Spark handles a moderate wind quite well.
I have been flying the Spark since November, my first "real" drone. I have learned a lot and still have more to learn. Gaining experience and confidence with every flight, this is an excellent first drone.

I have no experience with the Mini so can only comment on the Spark. It is still available at Walmart and Best Buy may have it. I bought mine second hand using the Let Go app. Many drones are posted for sale on Let Go, Offer Up, and Facebook sales. I got mine almost brand new with controller, two batteries, a charger that can charge 4 batteries, the remote control, and a phone all at once, and a carrying case. $275.00.
It must be registered with the FAA, the Mini is below .55 lbs and does not need to be registered. My Spark handles a moderate wind quite well.
I have been flying the Spark since November, my first "real" drone. I have learned a lot and still have more to learn. Gaining experience and confidence with every flight, this is an excellent first drone.

Thanks for your info. I am in the UK. I already have my licence so ready to go. It all comes down to cost, how much I can justify on my first real drone.

I've never flown the Mavic Mini, but own the Spark.

I've watched a lot of videos on the Mini since its release and, based solely off that, I'd probably purchase the Spark. You can get the Spark w/ the Fly More Combo for a pretty good deal on eBay these days.

Main two reasons I'd get the Spark over the Mini is build quality and having to use the DJI FLY app with watered down manual camera settings.

From videos I've watched, the Mini is super light and the build quality and plastic is flimsy and bendy (to achieve under 250g). Probably pretty durable, but looks pretty wimpy. When you hold the Spark is feels like a quality machine, not a toy.

Also, like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure you don't have as much control, in terms of manual settings in video mode and are forced to use the dumbed down DJI FLY app when using the Mini, instead of DJI GO 4.

The mini does list as a 30 min flight time, though, which is great. I consistently get around 13 minutes with the Spark... which can be a bummer at times. And the 3-axis gimbal is a nice feature. The 2-axis on the Spark has never given me any issues, though. The mechanical 3rd axis does a pretty decent job...unless you're doing crazy yaws. Then you'll notice it a little.

As far as 2.7k vs 1080p video resolution... they both look so good. Unless you're big into video editing and post-production stuff, 1080p is more than enough.

Anyway, I dunno. If I was to buy one or the other right now, I'd probably find a good deal for a Spark with a bunch of batteries on eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suffolk Sifter
I've never flown the Mavic Mini, but own the Spark.

I've watched a lot of videos on the Mini since its release and, based solely off that, I'd probably purchase the Spark. You can get the Spark w/ the Fly More Combo for a pretty good deal on eBay these days.

Main two reasons I'd get the Spark over the Mini is build quality and having to use the DJI FLY app with watered down manual camera settings.

From videos I've watched, the Mini is super light and the build quality and plastic is flimsy and bendy (to achieve under 250g). Probably pretty durable, but looks pretty wimpy. When you hold the Spark is feels like a quality machine, not a toy.

Also, like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure you don't have as much control, in terms of manual settings in video mode and are forced to use the dumbed down DJI FLY app when using the Mini, instead of DJI GO 4.

The mini does list as a 30 min flight time, though, which is great. I consistently get around 13 minutes with the Spark... which can be a bummer at times. And the 3-axis gimbal is a nice feature. The 2-axis on the Spark has never given me any issues, though. The mechanical 3rd axis does a pretty decent job...unless you're doing crazy yaws. Then you'll notice it a little.

As far as 2.7k vs 1080p video resolution... they both look so good. Unless you're big into video editing and post-production stuff, 1080p is more than enough.

Anyway, I dunno. If I was to buy one or the other right now, I'd probably find a good deal for a Spark with a bunch of batteries on eBay.

Many thanks Macrodrone for the information, it is a great comparison.

Steve

Hi,

Steve
Here's the truth about the spark! it's has it's good side then there are more down sides to it. There are a few people in this forum that will mislead you about the spark. They have a stake in the spark/trying to sale them or to boost your antennas/they can get over 5 and a half miles each way when the battery max out put is only 16 min! Over all the spark has more issues with it! Me I have nothing to gain by telling people the truth. I have a spark and a Mavic mini a long with going to buy a Mavic pro this week. So far the Mavic mini I have had 4 months with nothing gone wrong so far. The 1st few weeks with the Spark had issues lost connection a fly away just to start, The fly away I never found it and DJI will not back you up if the Spark dose fly away. I lived out side of Las Vegas with no major power lines nothing that would interfere with the Drone but it still flew away! If what I'm telling you don't scare you then good luck with the Spark? The battery life I only hit 2/14 min the rest of battery life's went down from there. So remember any one that keep's saying the spark is just the best drone over the Mavic mini is not only a liar but is making money off the Spark one way or another. Take care and Believe in what you research out side this form!!!! They so hate me in here.

Last edited:
Here's the truth about the spark! it's has it's good side then there are more down sides to it. There are a few people in this forum that will mislead you about the spark. They have a stake in the spark/trying to sale them or to boost your antennas/they can get over 5 and a half miles each way when the battery max out put is only 16 min! Over all the spark has more issues with it! Me I have nothing to gain by telling people the truth. I have a spark and a Mavic mini a long with going to buy a Mavic pro this week. So far the Mavic mini I have had 4 months with nothing gone wrong so far. The 1st few weeks with the Spark had issues lost connection a fly away just to start, The fly away I never found it and DJI will not back you up if the Spark dose fly away. I lived out side of Las Vegas with no major power lines nothing that would interfere with the Drone but it still flew away! If what I'm telling you don't scare you then good luck with the Spark? The battery life I only hit 2/14 min the rest of battery life's went down from there. So remember any one that keep's saying the spark is just the best drone over the Mavic mini is not only a liar but is making money off the Spark one way or another. Take care and Believe in what you research out side this form!!!! They so hate me in here.

Thank you Chuck,

Now I am confused. Is the lightness of the Mini an issue? Of do you not take it out if there is any wind?

No one claimed that the Spark is the best drone. If you read the posts, you will find that it may be a better choice for some people.
Thousands of Spark users have no issues at all and there is no credible that Sparks are more like to fly away than other models.

In a way, Drones are like skis or mountain bikes. A great pilot with a OK drone will produce better output than a poor pilot with a great drone every time. Just as a good skier or biker on crappy gear will beat a poor skier or rider on top-notch gear every time.
You can’t buy skill.

Last edited:
I am no expert....just constantly experiencing flight....and yes unintended crashes.

spark was my first “real drone” purchased on a late night WalMart run for groceries....November 2018

In December of 2018 bought a Phantom 4 Pro V2

November of 2019 I bought 2 Mavic minis. One regular package...one with the Flymore kit. Buying 2 was unintended but I had a pre order commitment and followed through.

Jan 2020 I added a Mavic 2 and a Flymore kit.

All of these later purchases are for birds with far greater capability’s range and camera wise compared to the Spark.

Airdata says I have 93 hours flight time and 641 logged miles. 717 Total flights.

Spark logs show 69 hours flight time and 349 logged miles.
533 Total flights.

Phantom 4 shows 29 hours and 267 miles. 175 Total flights.

Mavic Mini bird 1 shows 38mins 41 seconds for 4 miles. 2 flights.

Mavic 2 ...1 hour 30 minutes 20 miles ....7 flights.

Dont rip me up...its unfair to compare the Mavics considering I got them less than 3 months ago to numbers of birds I have had over a year...also consider it has been monsoon season here most of the time I had the Mavics.

I started back flying last week...2 Mavic 2 flights...hard landing...pilot error ,
making most of a bad or worse outcome and I have a compromised front right leg....

Spark...8 flights....one crash into oak tree at 45 ft...after analyzing data...it was on a battery that had been charged 70 something times....last battery maintenance at 20 flights...I believe that’s why it went into critical battery landing faster that normal for me...Pilot error...Pilot didn’t do maintenance.

Spark fell and landed on its back...fresh battery and back to .8 to 1.1 miles from my back yard without a compass or IMU calibration.

Enough of all that....

Bottom line is I respect and own multiple birds...I don’t sell anything.

The Spark is / was the best starter craft out there in my humble opinion.
Time has shown its still a lot of bang for the buck.

Reactions: Haggi and RotorWash
I have both. Really love my spark. The mini has a delay in the yaw movement. I don't fly it much. Pretty sure it can be fixed with a firmware update? Can't find any reasonably priced mini batteries locally or online.
Supposedly DJI will release the SDK for the mini in April. So you can expect 3rd party apps to be available soon after. Keeping my mini till then.

I have both. Really love my spark. The mini has a delay in the yaw movement. I don't fly it much. Pretty sure it can be fixed with a firmware update? Can't find any reasonably priced mini batteries locally or online.
Supposedly DJI will release the SDK for the mini in April. So you can expect 3rd party apps to be available soon after. Keeping my mini till then.

Thank you...

I’m new to this group and am going through posts for my own education. Myself, I have spent countless hours watching reviews over the last 1 1/2 years. I still haven’t bought a drone yet but have been saving up. From my perspective, as a first time user/owner it seems to me the spark is a no brainer as a first drone FOR ME. Again I in no way intend to convince anyone else out there one way or the other and lack the personal flight experience to elaborate on any drone. I will however once I get mine, which is going to be soon, continue to review and comment on these posts. Having said that my personal opinion is the spark is mire durable, has more options, and is more user friendly in this atmosphere of permission to fly and registration. Once I have mine I can fly anywhere within approx. 80 meters with just hand control which far exceeds the distance I will need to train myself to be a great pilot. And do this without a permission or controller or phone.

Not trying to start anything here, but this is the type of response that gets under my skin. There is nothing wrong with either, but to claim that those that prefer the Spark over the MM are lying or trying to make money is BS, and trying to scare anyone about the Spark is counterproductive at best. They both have their pros & cons. MM has a better flight time and a better camera, although that camera is hamstrung by the lack of settings available, and the MM takes 3 hours to charge the battery while the Spark only takes about 1 hour. There are also reports of signal loss and pixelated video with the MM (no different than the Spark), and of course there is the very legitimate concern about the build quality of the lighter MM combined with the lack of Obstacle Avoidance. The Spark is more robust, has more camera settings, includes Obstacle Avoidance, and is just a great, proven, all-around flyer; and quite honestly I've never needed more than 12-13 minutes in the air at a time anyway. I've never had a flyaway (nearly 2 years of use) or any other issue that wasn't caused by myself, and even a few crashes resulted in no damage. As for range; anyone who is fixated on range with a WiFi drone is pushing their luck and without a doubt breaking the law about keeping the aircraft in VLOS anyway, so it's kind of a stupid argument to make, IMHO.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers