Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark vs Phantom 3?

Don't get defensive over your P3S...(I had one too) Even when compared to Phantoms available at that time, it used older Tech. And in this day and age when tech is improving rapidly its definitely older tech. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, it just doesn't make financial sense to buy a P3S now if one is considering one of the newer drones

Two big difference between the P3S and P3A or P3P; The P3s only used WiFi when the other two were using Lightbridge which significantly increased distance. The second is the P3S only used GPS and not GLONASS. Today use of both geolocations systems is the norm...

Rather than go into the other details, one can read it here; Differences Between All Four DJI Phantom 3 Models? | MyFirstDrone

I have had my P3S for just over a year now and it has and still is rock solid. I got a Spark for Christmas to complement my P3S, not replace it. I will be using the Spark in places that it is not practical or is cumbersome to set up my P3S (eg., hiking, camping or when I can't carry lots of gear). Also, you have mentioned time to set-up a P3S which is a valid concern especially in cold weather.

I will use my P3S and Spark kind of like how I use my two DSLRs. My Nikon D3300 is light small and compact and I take it everywhere. My Nikon D750 is heavier and larger and I use it for specific projects (landscapes, wildlife, and astrophotography).

Some people are saying that the P3S is old tech. When compared to other P3 models (P3A and P3P), I wouldn't say it is old tech, just different tech. The P3S is the low end P3 model similar to the Nikon D3300 and as such has less features to keep costs down. The Spark is interesting in that it has some advanced features (obstacle avoidance, more advanced remote, foldable propellers, gesture control, and more range on the WiFi), however costs were kept down by having a 2-axis gimbal, a camera that can only shoot in JPEG, USB charger block and cable, only one extra prop, and no included remote, if you get the basic package.

As others have said you have to think about what you are going to want to do with it and that will be the deciding factor. I agree with others who have said you will spend more on the Spark, than the P3S in the long run.

For me, I decided to get the basic Spark. I then ordered the Portable Power Pack (Portable Charging Station + 2 batteries, and the remote. This setup will be perfect for my uses. I didn't order the flymore combo because I liked the Portable Charging Station better and would not use all of the items included in the flymore combo.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Chris

I have both, and they’re very different machines - as you mentioned.

Short answer, I haven’t used my P3 since I got my Spark. That said, I also have a Mavic, and that hasn’t had much use either. For me, it’s simply down to size. I don’t want to carry a ton of gear on what can be a three day hike or camping trip.

I’ve found I’ve downsized everything.... I sold my Canon 70D and got a Lumix G7. It’s just easier.

I don’t find the lack of 4K an issue. I don’t know many people with 4K displays. Most people view videos or photos online on a phone, tablet, or laptop, so the Spark camera is more than sufficient.

But, that’s just me. It really depends on the user and what/where/how they want to use the gear.

same here. Size and 1080p was more than enough for me.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Don't get defensive over your P3S...(I had one too) Even when compared to Phantoms available at that time, it used older Tech. And in this day and age when tech is improving rapidly its definitely older tech. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, it just doesn't make financial sense to buy a P3S now if one is considering one of the newer drones

Two big difference between the P3S and P3A or P3P; The P3s only used WiFi when the other two were using Lightbridge which significantly increased distance. The second is the P3S only used GPS and not GLONASS. Today use of both geolocations systems is the norm...

Rather than go into the other details, one can read it here; Differences Between All Four DJI Phantom 3 Models? | MyFirstDrone
Not defensive at all. I agree that the other P3 models have more technology packed into them but they were also significantly more expensive too. The OP mentioned he wanted to keep costs below $500 and if I remember correctly the P3A and P3P were more than that new. Basically the P3S is a stripped down version of the other 2 models and it was released to market after the other 2.

Ultimately, regardless of the age of the tech, what’s most important, is can it do what you want it to within your budget.

When I purchased my P3S I had considered both the P3A and the P3P but went with the P3S because I didn’t need distance or OA sensors so why pay more for them. The camera was the most important consideration for me and aside from 4K which I don’t need they are basically the same. I do wish the standard had the upgraded controller that the other 2 had but I was not willing to pay a premium for the extra convenience. Same goes for Spark vs Mavic - I wanted the Spark for portability and was willing to live with the lack of features compared to Mavic. Also, I only fly LOS (Its the law here in Canada) so why pay extra for a better transmission tech I will likely never take advantage of.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

I just came back from Vegas/ Henderson and yes, Red Rock Canyon does allow drone flights. There is also Hidden Falls Park in Henderson near the Black Mountain (one with the radio towers on it) that you can fly. 30 min to the south of Henderson on hwy 95 then branch off to 165 is the ghost town Nelson. That is just outside the Lake Mead National Park. That Lake Mead restriction goes all the way down to Bullhead City. So Lake Mohave is off limits too.
To the west of Las Vegas is Mount Charleston. I corresponded with those folks and they said drones are allowed in the park but there are 3 zones of wildlife reserves that are off limits and they have maps of those. Otherwise, download the AirMap app. That is pretty accurate. Just zoom in on the area you want to fly for the advisories. The default view will grab all of the advisories on the entire screen that may not apply to your area. IE, You might be way outside the 5 miles of McCarran airport. But if the zone is on the screen, it will list it as an advisory. And remember, McCarran is a class B airport and the surface to 10,000ft core ring (no fly zone) covers most of the Las Vegas strip.

Here is my video catalog.
You could learn from my mistakes.
pmshop 4

December 24th through January 2 was the vacation time period.
We did not personally go to Nelson (found out after the trip) or Mount Charleston (no snow) but it is out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkbart
Another thing to consider is the dead end nature of the P3S. It's range is much less than that of the spark. You can't use DJI gogles, or crystalsky with the P3S. You may one day want to buy/use these add ons, and the PS3 won't be able to work with them whereas the spark does

After trying out the spark I ended up hating it and returning it. I ended up buying a yuneec typhoon 4k after talking to the repair guys at my local hobby shop. They had a lot of negative things to say about DJI and their hatred for Android. I'm very happy with my yuneec. Thanks for all your time and replies everyone!

Its your decision, but IMO, you shouldn't have let those hobby store guys sway you away from DJI.

I've owned Yuneec's Typhoon 4k and a Typhoon H Pro. I say "owned" because I don't anymore. I've found that DJI while they do have their short-comings as a company they make a rock-solid product.

Don't get me wrong Yuneec's drones are very good but they always seem to be half a step behind DJI when it comes to tech and features even when they release products at the same time. But, Yuneec's customer service is second to none. The absolute best customer service for any tech product I've owned.

The 4k has been around along time and is very reliable. I do have a bit of advice for you;

• The motor mounts have been known to "stress" crack. While at the time I couldn't find any evidence of catastrophic failure because of it, it causes vibration which was enough for people to start taking their 4ks apart to see what the issue is/was and buy aftermarket CF plates from Carolinadronz.
  • Prop tightness - This is where its age shows. The props are NOT "positive" lock props. Read the directions carefully on how to properly snug them down. They use a rubber O-ring for pressure to keep them on. ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure the props are properly tightened and NOT under-tightend or over-tightend. There are plenty of youtube videos of these Typhoons/Q500s losing a prop in flight and crashing.
  • Which brings me to another point. Order/buy spare rubber O-rings. I don't remember the size, but I bought a bunch from Home Depot. ALWAYS make sure that rubber O-ring is on the motor shaft before mounting the props. If you over tighten the prop you'll start stripping or stressing the threads which makes them loose. Make a mental note how many turns it takes to get the props properly tightened. Cause if you start noticing its taking more turns (even a 1/4 turn more) replace the O-rings and inspect your props.

One other thing I noticed that a friend at the time who also owned a Q500/Typhoon 4k noticed is these drones seem to be more susceptible to "interference". Believe it or not, Kp Index did impact these birds. I had a friend who found the same thing with his Q500/Typhoon. Maybe Yuneec has changed the GPS unit...

So what is it about the Spark you "hated"? What is it about the Typhoon 4k you like better than the Spark?

Good Luck!

After trying out the spark I ended up hating it and returning it. I ended up buying a yuneec typhoon 4k after talking to the repair guys at my local hobby shop. They had a lot of negative things to say about DJI and their hatred for Android. I'm very happy with my yuneec. Thanks for all your time and replies everyone!

Repair guys telling me to buy something...I don't know...sounds like a conflict of interest ;)

Congratulations on your Yuneec purchase. I hope it does everything you are looking for in a drone. I do like the modular design of the camera - being able to remove it and use it like an action camera is definitely a selling point. I wish DJI had this option as well across the Phantom line then you would have more option to purchase what you need. In your original post you said you wanted to stay around the price of the P3S or Spark. Did you get a good deal on the Yuneec? As far as I know it is a much more expensive drone.

I’m curious, did you only fly the Spark with the phone? Haven’t tried it with mine but I’ve read it is much less responsive and has much shortened range. What didn’t you like about the Spark?

Regardless, best of luck with your Yuneec. Hope its everything you were looking for.

Chris

I never regretted buying the Spark. I too was worried that I will not get blessings from my wife. As it was my first drone, I did contemplate on buying a 100 dollar drone. Am I glad I didn't do that. Did my research and at the same time shared the Spark Youtube videos with my wife. She was so amazed with the gesture control features....she finally agreed to let me buy it. [emoji28] Thank God for that.
My wife thinks I only spent $100 on my spark, shh don't say a word..

My wife thinks I only spent $100 on my spark, shh don't say a word..

When my original Spark had a GPS issue from the get go and I had to send it in just 10 days old, my wife said "you have tons of spare parts for your DYI craft. You need a spare Spark if one is in service". Who am I to argue??? :D

Reactions: Zookeeper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502