Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark with iPad Mini 4 and my Android Huwei

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
So finally, we had a break with the weather, a bit windy but overall made some really cool videos. I went to two different locations and this was the first time I used both devices without an OTG cable.

At the first location, I used the Android Huwei "Wunderphone" and it was wonderful to use. I didn't get any glitchy video, disconnects, etc. I posted a post a week ago where I had issues with both the iPad and Android disconnecting and connecting and I didn't take a chance to fly it. So here we are, everything went without a hitch using the Android device without OTG. Obviously, I wasn't going anywhere crazy far or crazy high but enough to really get some captures.

Now, at the second location, I decided to use my iPad mini 4 and right from the get go before even taking off, it disconnected and then reconnected again? I don't know what the heck is going on but I was sitting on a park table where there is technically metal. It did give me a compass error, etc. so I was like ok let me move away from it and then recalibrate just in case. I let it sit for like 30 seconds to see if it would disconnect and it didn't so I took off.

I started flying around and honestly, unlike the Android device, it was glitchy, it was hard to tell where the heck I was at time because it would stutter and I would end up at a different point than what the video would tell me so everytime this did happen, I would stop moving. Finally, at some point, it disconnected!! Without panicking, I let it sit a bit to see if it would regain connection and it did. So I took the bearing from the video and instead of hitting the RTH I flew it manually back until I could see it again.

Now anyone know what the heck is going on?? I got the iPad Mini 4 specifically to not have these type of issues as it was supposed to be better supported than the Android App versions.

Yes, I took a chance to take off even when I saw these random disconnects while I was on the ground. I chalked it up to the fact that I was sitting on a Park Table with metal but does that even have anything to do with it disconnecting?? I can understand the compass errors but this random disconnects although not as much as a week ago when I couldn't even get it off the ground.

Please let me know if there is anything I can check.

Just covering my own pre-flight checklist, did you put your phone in airplane mode? Smart watch in airplane mode? Put the mini in airplane mode then ONLY enable wifi (to turn off compass and any other signals), etc? I was out flying with the mini 4 without OTG and had no disconnect issues at all. I went as far as 700-800 feet away and 150 feet high with no issues at all as far as disconnects and video issues go.

I did notice that in sport mode, the video gets a bit choppy / laggy, but I just chalked that up to the image changing too fast at full speed for the video link to keep up.

I don't know what the heck is going on but I was sitting on a park table where there is technically metal. It did give me a compass error, etc. so I was like ok let me move away from it and then recalibrate just in case.

Just as an aside: calibrate your drone only in a location you are 100% sure is free from metal interference, such as the middle of a football field. This way, if you go into an area with interference, you will know about it (such as you did). If you recalibrate in the area where there is interference, it will actually mask whatever interference is there, and when you take off and get away from that interference, it will confuse the drone (lack of interference suddenly becomes like interference itself).

Imagine like this: You are in an area with +100 interference, and you calibrate. It will now show as 0 interference. When you take off, it will now be seen as -100 interference, which is just as bad. (note it wont actually show as a negative number...)

Just covering my own pre-flight checklist, did you put your phone in airplane mode? Smart watch in airplane mode? Put the mini in airplane mode then ONLY enable wifi (to turn off compass and any other signals), etc? I was out flying with the mini 4 without OTG and had no disconnect issues at all. I went as far as 700-800 feet away and 150 feet high with no issues at all as far as disconnects and video issues go.

I did notice that in sport mode, the video gets a bit choppy / laggy, but I just chalked that up to the image changing too fast at full speed for the video link to keep up.
Ok you brought up some good points. I did have a smart watch on. I'll definitely take that off. I did also have the iPad not on airplane mode so I'll try that. I did turn off Bluetooth as well. I'll try some of these things.

Just as an aside: calibrate your drone only in a location you are 100% sure is free from metal interference, such as the middle of a football field. This way, if you go into an area with interference, you will know about it (such as you did). If you recalibrate in the area where there is interference, it will actually mask whatever interference is there, and when you take off and get away from that interference, it will confuse the drone (lack of interference suddenly becomes like interference itself).

Imagine like this: You are in an area with +100 interference, and you calibrate. It will now show as 0 interference. When you take off, it will now be seen as -100 interference, which is just as bad. (note it wont actually show as a negative number...)
Yeah but the interference isnt really the problem. I dont think. The disconnecting is what got me baffled right now. Also at the 1st location it asked me to update the fly zone and I did and then when I went to the next location it asked me again. I'm assuming that's because I used two different devices.

Ok you brought up some good points. I did have a smart watch on. I'll definitely take that off. I did also have the iPad not on airplane mode so I'll try that. I did turn off Bluetooth as well. I'll try some of these things.

iOS 11 changed how Bluetooth and WiFi work. Turning them off via control center just disconnects them from things they’re currently connected to, but leaves the radios on.

They aren’t actually turned off unless you go into settings. It’s much easier to enable airplane mode via control center then also enable WiFi via control center.

iOS 11 changed how Bluetooth and WiFi work. Turning them off via control center just disconnects them from things they’re currently connected to, but leaves the radios on.

They aren’t actually turned off unless you go into settings. It’s much easier to enable airplane mode via control center then also enable WiFi via control center.

So are you saying that this could be the issue? I should turn airplane mode on and then just turn on wifi so i can connect to the RC?

Yeah but the interference isnt really the problem. I dont think. The disconnecting is what got me baffled right now. Also at the 1st location it asked me to update the fly zone and I did and then when I went to the next location it asked me again. I'm assuming that's because I used two different devices.
I also fly with an ipad mini 4. No disconnects whatsoever. 200ft. High no issues. Peculiar, I did get a warning that my ipads CPU was overloaded. But I did have a screen recorder and a music app open and running. I will keep an eye on that, but no disconnects. And was not using the OTG cable.

So are you saying that this could be the issue? I should turn airplane mode on and then just turn on wifi so i can connect to the RC?

I have read a lot about nearby Bluetooth / WiFi transmissions causing issues with connection, specifically the phone / tablet itself and smart watches.

Possibly unrelated side note: I’ve noticed that sometimes calibrating my compass fails if I’m holding it in my left hand when my Apple Watch is on but not in airplane mode. Switch to my right hand and everything is fine.

It may or may not be the source of your issue but is definitely a good idea to put everything in airplane mode to rule them out as a potential problem.

I have read a lot about nearby Bluetooth / WiFi transmissions causing issues with connection, specifically the phone / tablet itself and smart watches.

Possibly unrelated side note: I’ve noticed that sometimes calibrating my compass fails if I’m holding it in my left hand when my Apple Watch is on but not in airplane mode. Switch to my right hand and everything is fine.

It may or may not be the source of your issue but is definitely a good idea to put everything in airplane mode to rule them out as a potential problem.
Thanks it's worth a try. I just want to see if there were known issues/solutions.

OH another thing, can the flight logs show anything about the reasons it may have disconnected?

iPad Air 2 seems to work well and I was also thinking of getting a mini just for the drone. But what bugs me most is I can’t get the audible battery warning to work on the iPad Air, so I’m guessing it’s the same for the mini. I prefer to fly home at the 30% battery warning.

My Android S7 has major video lag and cuts out regularly but don’t notice it on the iPad.

Ok just a quick update. I turned on airplane mode and it seems like it is working. No cut outs this time. Both the Android and iPad mini 4. We are expecting great weather in the next few days so I'll be trying out other locations and see how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast