Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Strange dam flight

Barennes

Join
Jan 14, 2018
I had a strange flight yesterday: was based on a dam and just flew 1300ft away.
I decided to come back and then lost full downlink connection with "aicraft disconnected". I then tried to restart DJIGO4 hopping to recover, with absolutely no success. Spark is small and I had no idea where it was precisely (!). More than 3 minutes with ZERO down connection is veryyy long ! Finally I launched a manual RTH with the RC and just got it back.
I was very surprised to lose downlink this way. I suppose the parabolic and metalic structure of the dam was the cause ?? Anyway I can't explain why link was ok flighing away but 100% "out" when coming back. Uplink was perfect all the trip.
If you have any explanation or similar experience please share !

Check this out:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Last edited:
You said it yourself. It's a giant steel reinforced concrete structure with a parabolic shape. Sounds like a pretty good environment to mess with radio signals and compasses for sure.

Just tried the Spark again at home with similar results and discovered that all this is simply.... an OTG issue !
Insuffisant phone battery level (over "low battery" alerts of my Moto X Android 6.0 phone) makes the OTG link perfectly unstable when the wifi runs still great.
Nothing to do with a dam'n dam; that's just another"pilot's check" point to add ;)

Still, the question remains. Will it perform better flying the same flightpath at the **** Dam? Without the OTG? you said you tried it at home..

Still, the question remains. Will it perform better flying the same flightpath at the **** Dam? Without the OTG? you said you tried it at home..
OTG was unable to maintain connection probably just because the phone battery was unable to deliver the correct signal on the cable. For sure, wifi would have restore the connection in this case. Otherwise OTG performs better.

Wow.

The strange dam flight turned into a **** strange flight .:p

Good to know.

Reactions: Barennes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard