Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet question

lawman1801

Join
Oct 9, 2018
I am planning on getting a tablet to use soley with my Spark. Would a Galaxy Tab A work? I have looked at the iPad Minis and just don't want to put that much into a tablet that will be dedicated to my drone. If not, are there any good ones to consider that won't break my bank?

I bought a 10.1" Galaxy Tab A because I thought the the larger display would ggive me a better view of where I was flying than my Samsung S8 phone. It works great with a Skytreat holder to the Spark controller , but im not sure its an improvement. The tab is bulky and a bit of a hassel. I havent used it flying for a while. I love the tab a for other things like im doing right now. You should definatly get one next time its on sale for under 200 bucks a costco.

How is the video with the Tab A does it keep up to your Spark`s video or do you get a little jerkiness ?

Thanks. I have been reading threads and looking over the ones in the dji approved list. I may keep looking/reqding for a little while longer and then decide to either spend the money and get a mini. Although, I have been seeing some decent comments about the Nexus 7 II and a few on the Nexus 9. May look more into those 2 tablets.

Thanks. I have been reading threads and looking over the ones in the dji approved list. I may keep looking/reqding for a little while longer and then decide to either spend the money and get a mini. Although, I have been seeing some decent comments about the Nexus 7 II and a few on the Nexus 9. May look more into those 2 tablets.
Be interested to know what you decide as I am in same position- at my age need a bigger screen! I have a Samsung 10.1 (2014) but the video link is useless and operating system quite old. Stopped using it.

I'm an Android guy for my every day phone needs.
Samsung S7 and a Motorola Moto Z2.

Last year before I purchased the Spark, I read all kinds of threads about how some Droids work, others don't, but the Apples all seemed to work with little to no problem compared to the Droids.

Android has so many platforms and devices where as Apple not so many and this made it easier for DJI to work with from a programming point of view.

Long story short, I purchased a mini4 as a dedicated device, my first Apple product, other than an iPod or two, and I have had good flights with it and the larger display is nice too.

Although I do have a tablet holder, the mini4 will fit in the remote if you don't want to purchase one.

You can use it around the house when not flying to watch YouTube, Netflix, or chat on Forum's such as this.

It's WiFi only with no GPS so I don't get a live map when flying but can cache a map before flight if needed.

You're doing the right thing by researching all of your options and good luck on your purchase.

How is the video with the Tab A does it keep up to your Spark`s video or do you get a little jerkiness ?
The video on the mobile device is always inferior to that from the SD card and oftern jerky, especially if the signal gets weak. I don't think there's any difference between the Tab A and my S8 other than screen size. The S8 has an OLED display that's much better than the Tab A. I've tried an OTG cable, but haven't noticed any improvement, maybe because I usually fly out in the boonies where there's no WiFi interferance.

So, here is something I have been wondering about the ipad's. What generation works vs what one don't? Or do they all work since it is IOS and they don't really make drastic changes to their OS? I might be willing to spend a little money on say a gen 1 or 2 if they will work.

What are the specs of you galaxy tab a? I am leaning towards that or the Nexus 7 after all my reading
You can find the full specs of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) easily by a Google search. On the Table i linked above the important specs are listed so you can compare it to many other devices. For me the Tablet is a great product for the price and it is working for my perfect.

You can find the full specs of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) easily by a Google search. On the Table i linked above the important specs are listed so you can compare it to many other devices. For me the Tablet is a great product for the price and it is working for my perfect.
Thanks. Thought it was the same.

I tried the whole budget tablet thing and also used my everyday phone as well. The budget tablets and none of them worked well. I used the modded apps and the standard apps too. The Spark was very temperamental at best. So finally, I broke down and bought a iPad 9.7 inch 6th Generation. All I can say is WOW! The difference is like night and day. I know it was more than most want to pay but it truly is the better device for use with the Spark as well as some other drones too.

I tried the whole budget tablet thing and also used my everyday phone as well. The budget tablets and none of them worked well.
I can not agree with that. As long as the required resources (requirements for used apps) are met and the compatibility with the used app is given you can basically use any tablet / phone.
Check the Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO List, there are enough tables / phones in different price ranges. Therefore, I think that you can easily use budget tablets / phones that are fully satisfactory.

Borrowed my wife's Galaxy Tab 4 and loaded the DJI GO4 software to try it out and it worked nicely with a OTG cable only problem i had with it was not being able to see . I was getting to much glare on the screen it would need a shade of some kind. Wonder if they make a anti-glare shield for tablets ?

I use a 2nd gen 4G Nexus 7, as it has the brightest display for a cheap Android tablet.

Haven't had any problems with it, fly using OTG and it fits in the controller arms with a tiny tweak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar