Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Taking Spark to Australia

Crispjon

Join
Jan 14, 2018
Loc
UK
Hi I'm off to Brisbane on Monday with Etihad then on down to Canberra. They say I can take the bird with my carry on bag with one battery installed and two spare. Seems odd and I'm tempted to put Spark in checked in and carry batteries in carry on bag suitably protected. Grateful for advice of anyone who has done this .

Many international security gates are following the FAA/TSA lead which states "no lithium batteries in the cargo hold (checked bags)". The aircraft and remote can be carried on OR checked into luggage hold below (that is more of a theft/damage concern). The loose batteries go with you in the passenger compartment.

A few caveats: even though the individual airlines aren't usually the ones inspecting your bags they have the final say on what is permissible (they can be stricter than the regulations require). Some countries completely ban drones or tax them based on the market value.

So check online with the airline you are flying. And check the laws of your destination countries here

Andre has covered this well Crispjon. You'll need to put the Batteries in the Carry on. Most Airlines in Australia require this. Unless of course you enjoy you're name being called out and your baggage opened at an airport. As far as Australian drone laws goes in regards to the Spark you'll have no problems bringing it in. Once in however you can't fly more than 120 metres high or within 30 metres of people, buildings or wildlife and it must be within eyesight at all times and not withing 5.5 kilometres of an airport. There the general rules. It would be wise to download the following App from our FAA equivalent Civil Aviation Body, called CASA here: Can I fly there? - Drone safety app. This free App from CASA will tell you no fly zones such as if you're near an airport, a Hospital with a Heli pad, Airforce zones and will be coloured red, the orange area signals there could be planes about and fly with caution. I'm not from Sydney but I believe the whole of Sydney Harbour is a no fly zone. From July you'll have to register the Spark if you want to fly. I think I covered everything but I'm a newbie and my Aussie mates will add bits. You're going to love flying Sparky in Australia.

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the Australian drone rules which are similar to UK's and have loaded and checked with the "Can I fly here" app. I was just confused by the Etihad advice to have one battery in the drone but only two spares where other rules said drone in checked in and batteries (up to 20) in carry on. Anyway better do what they say and I have a printout of the advice in case of queries. Looking forward to flying there and helping with construction of my brothers 2/3 scale Tiger Moth.

Hi I'm off to Brisbane on Monday with Etihad then on down to Canberra. They say I can take the bird with my carry on bag with one battery installed and two spare. Seems odd and I'm tempted to put Spark in checked in and carry batteries in carry on bag suitably protected. Grateful for advice of anyone who has done this .

It’s definitely NOT a problem. I live in Australia, took Sparky (with two batteries) to the States at Christmas. Flew from Los Angeles to New York and back. Packed Sparky in my carry on bag. Enjoy Oz!!! ?

I've recently flown from the UK (BHX) to Oz and I took my Spark with spare batteries. I got it through security in each airport easily without any issues whatsoever, but I did mention each time that there is a small drone in the case. Use the CIFH app and be aware of the status that they give when checking if it's safe to fly. There is a lot more small air traffic around Brisbane than in the UK and the app will tell you that it IS safe to fly but you must land IF you "become aware" of any aircraft operating whilst you are flying your spark. Enjoy.

I've recently flown from the UK (BHX) to Oz and I took my Spark with spare batteries. I got it through security in each airport easily without any issues whatsoever, but I did mention each time that there is a small drone in the case. Use the CIFH app and be aware of the status that they give when checking if it's safe to fly. There is a lot more small air traffic around Brisbane than in the UK and the app will tell you that it IS safe to fly but you must land IF you "become aware" of any aircraft operating whilst you are flying your spark. Enjoy.
Interestingly they were more interested in the tablet in security then the spark.
Yes I had noticed the amount of small aircraft in Brisbane and rather vicious mozzies ?! However it was pretty windy for the short time I was there so did not get to fly. But lots of flying here on the farm near Bungendore. Great!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe