Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Thanks for telling me WHY I’m not allowed to fly

David H.

Join
Jan 10, 2019
Yesterday, I was in Eleanor Tinsley Park just to the west of downtown Houston, and wanted to show off my Spark to some out-of-town visitors. I slid the “launch now” slider, and immediately got the message: “Restricted airspace. Astros vs. Pirates.” (I wish I had grabbed a screenshot [the message said a lot more than just that], but I was so amazed/disappointed that I didn’t do it. For our out-of-the-US members, the Astros are the Houston baseball team & the Pirates are the Pittsburgh team.)

So, a baseball game being played in the Minute Maid Ballpark prevented me from flying in a public park 1.5 miles away, and told me precisely why! I was disappointed, but agreed that it was probably a good thing, after all.

The airspace is restricted up to 5 miles
But you should see it when the Texans are playing.
DJI thinks their stadium is the Toyota Center

And greetings from a former Houstonian - 290 & 610 Oak Forest area.
Say hi to KPRC Jennifer for me :D

Yesterday, I was in Eleanor Tinsley Park just to the west of downtown Houston, and wanted to show off my Spark to some out-of-town visitors. I slid the “launch now” slider, and immediately got the message: “Restricted airspace. Astros vs. Pirates.” (I wish I had grabbed a screenshot [the message said a lot more than just that], but I was so amazed/disappointed that I didn’t do it. For our out-of-the-US members, the Astros are the Houston baseball team & the Pirates are the Pittsburgh team.)

So, a baseball game being played in the Minute Maid Ballpark prevented me from flying in a public park 1.5 miles away, and told me precisely why! I was disappointed, but agreed that it was probably a good thing, after all.
Current legislation is up for vote in Congress. Events restricted 20 miles away, schools 2 miles and a myriad of other places all having restrictions. I understand airports and I understand major events there seems to be a fear in homeland security and it may be real the terrorists are starting a drone attack soon containing biological weapons. With drones flying freely they can't choose one from another that's the bad guy. In my area. I have a small small Corridor which makes it not worth flying near medium or large cities.

Well, 5 miles is a drop in the bucket.
When the president is in town, or anywhere...it's 35 miles.

DC has a permanent 35 mile NFZ

It is relative to the other NFZ, but I think it's all a great big over-reach. How about a 5 mile zone around a high value asset and 1 mile around the stadiums...

And 35 miles around DC? that's just stupid

How is that a good thing? you're 1.5 miles away. I think it's an over-reach.

The Mavic Pro has a range over 4 miles so for now 5 miles seems pretty reasonable.

Imagine you're in a stadium with 55,000 people and a drone lands in centerfield. Even if it was an "innocent" low battery landing and not any nefarious intent the panic would be disastrous. It would create international news and result in even stricter legislation.

I dread the day something like that happens. As a drone fan in strongly I'm favor of public safety because it protects our hobby as well.

The Mavic Pro has a range over 4 miles so for now 5 miles seems pretty reasonable.

Imagine you're in a stadium with 55,000 people and a drone lands in centerfield. Even if it was an "innocent" low battery landing and not any nefarious intent the panic would be disastrous. It would create international news and result in even stricter legislation.

I dread the day something like that happens. As a drone fan in strongly I'm favor of public safety because it protects our hobby as well.

I understand that, but there are other drones with a greater range, so how's that covered? If I take off at 5.1 miles from the stadium that means I can fly into the NFZ? I would hope that it's programmed to stop when it hits the NFZ

I understand that, but there are other drones with a greater range, so how's that covered? If I take off at 5.1 miles from the stadium that means I can fly into the NFZ? I would hope that it's programmed to stop when it hits the NFZ

There are multiple technologies currently being tested that will eventually ensure no drones get within any prescribed drone-free zone -- regardless of the aircraft's range.

The FAA installed them in several airports last fall. It's inevitable that these systems become widespread once proven effective. It's also inevitable that people will try to circumvent them but that is a criminal act and the transmitter will give away their location.

You don't have to like it but you are powerless to stop it. The US has a long history of allowing public safety to limit individual rights.

I seen a YouTube video from Ken Heron of a Phantom filming the Elvis museum in Memphis but was unable to cross the street to film the Graceland estate due to the airport behind that.

The Phantom stopped at the edge of the restricted air space.

The video is about 3 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgrinavi
There are multiple technologies currently being tested that will eventually ensure no drones get within any prescribed drone-free zone -- regardless of the aircraft's range.

The FAA installed them in several airports last fall. It's inevitable that these systems become widespread once proven effective. It's also inevitable that people will try to circumvent them but that is a criminal act and the transmitter will give away their location.

You don't have to like it but you are powerless to stop it. The US has a long history of allowing public safety to limit individual rights.

They have a long history of knee jerk reactions for sure, but that doesn't justify more. 35 miles? that's just nuts. All you're doing is preventing good citizen from having an accident that might, some how, takeout a high value asset, because a bad actor doesn't follow the rules anyhow and will fly his drone in the NFZ all day long.

LITCHI TRY IT

FLY LITCHI

They have a long history of knee jerk reactions for sure, but that doesn't justify more. 35 miles? that's just nuts. All you're doing is preventing good citizen from having an accident that might, some how, takeout a high value asset, because a bad actor doesn't follow the rules anyhow and will fly his drone in the NFZ all day long.

I understand your complaints but complaining on this Forum is like shouting into an echo chamber. It doesn't change anything.

I see you just joined 2 weeks ago and from your reaction perhaps these NFZ are new information to you. It has been this way for a long time and most of us have accepted this begrudgingly.

This is far from a knee-jerk reaction. The FAA's Pathfinder program began in 2016 and is now getting into full swing. It's a long term commitment to air safety. The priority is on public safety and the growing commercial drone industry rather than the hobbyist.

The world we live in ensures more restrictions are to come. There's a national meeting on the topic in June that you can attend and let your voice be heard.

This is my home area today. I can't change it but I will comply willingly

OP here...I'm going to guess that someone thought: "Well, if we restrict the air space to WAYYY far away from the stadium/airport/etc., and if a bad actor tries to fly into that space to do cause some harm, we MIGHT have the opportunity to intercept a drone and disable it."

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone!" I can see a future where experienced drone pilots are hired to patrol around stadiums with their heavily armed drones to shoot down any threats!! j/k

But, I'll say it again: I'm very pleased that I was told precisely WHY I wasn't allowed to fly. Thanks to whoever made the decision to add the extra info to the warning!

Reactions: Andre Levite

Ha! Yeah, I live about 1.5 miles from where the Texans REALLY play (NRG Stadium) so I know when they're on the field! The Toyota Center is 5.4 miles north of there (ATCF...As The Crow Flies). It's funny that the two places are confused!

I don't know Jennifer from KPRC TV, but if I ever run into her, I'll tell her you say hi. Very attractive woman...

Reactions: pmshop

Yes, it justifies 35 miles for national security.
Look, the main intention of the 35mi zone is this:
Our fighter jets have to have time to respond.
That is why there is TFR and NFZ that big.

Ok, why does that effect us?
Because the FAA, who is also supposed to protect us, recognizes a drone as an aircraft.
ALL aircraft except emergency craft are grounded during temporary flight restrictions or no fly zones.

FAA supposed to protect us? Yes.
By recognizing our drones as aircraft, They are supposed to press felony charges against anyone shooting down our drones.
Why? Because if drones are recognized by the FAA as aircraft, shooting a drone is as sure as shooting at a 747.

OP here...I'm going to guess that someone thought: "Well, if we restrict the air space to WAYYY far away from the stadium/airport/etc., and if a bad actor tries to fly into that space to do cause some harm, we MIGHT have the opportunity to intercept a drone and disable it."

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone!" I can see a future where experienced drone pilots are hired to patrol around stadiums with their heavily armed drones to shoot down any threats!! j/k

I had the opportunity to meet up with the director of the Las Vegas Drone Patrol they had in Las Vegas for the new year's celebration on the strip. The director invited me to see their setup.
However, like New York, high winds kept them grounded.
And, I'm no longer crazy enough to brave a Vegas crowd on NYE!

But, I'll say it again: I'm very pleased that I was told precisely WHY I wasn't allowed to fly. Thanks to whoever made the decision to add the extra info to the warning!

That’s how skynet comes to be. Where did I leave my tin foil hat?

• Haha
Reactions: pmshop
Yes, it justifies 35 miles for national security.
Look, the main intention of the 35mi zone is this:
Our fighter jets have to have time to respond.
That is why there is TFR and NFZ that big.

Ok, why does that effect us?
Because the FAA, who is also supposed to protect us, recognizes a drone as an aircraft.
ALL aircraft except emergency craft are grounded during temporary flight restrictions or no fly zones.

FAA supposed to protect us? Yes.
By recognizing our drones as aircraft, They are supposed to press felony charges against anyone shooting down our drones.
Why? Because if drones are recognized by the FAA as aircraft, shooting a drone is as sure as shooting at a 747.

Sorry, no one will ever convince me that my hobby drone flying under 400 feet and within visual sight is going to take out a high value target 35 miles away. That's just silly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme