Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Thinging of getting spark for my first dji drone

Dale Lissett

Join
Dec 16, 2017
Hi

New to the forum and thinking of investing in the spark for my first drone. I have be trawling the internet and watch videos on YouTube to get an understanding on how the spark works before I buy one.

One thing I've been coming across a lot, is the lack of stability with the app and android, it also make me nervous to ready about all the flyways

I do plan on flying mine when it arrives a the local farmers field until I get to know it's features. Given this I was blaming on setting the rth home at a much lower altitude than 100ft and there is now trees or housed for miles, would that course any problems with the way the spark reacts in anyway? To start with I don't like the idea of it shooting to 100ft if I get in trouble and need it to come home.

Sorry if this is a stupid question just nervous I don't want to lose my £600 drone on it's first flight.

I do plan on flying mine when it arrives a the local farmers field until I get to know it's features. Given this I was blaming on setting the rth home at a much lower altitude than 100ft and there is now trees or housed for miles, would that course any problems with the way the spark reacts in anyway?
30 meters (the default setting) is the lowest possible setting for the RTH altitude. As long as there are no obstacles in the area higher than 30 meters above the takeoff point, then it would be fine to use that setting.

Ok thanks for the help. I may stick it to 50ft just to be safe, do you know anything about the app with Android devices?

do you know anything about the app with Android devices?
The DJI GO app does not run well on all Android devices (more so those with slower hardware). You can find a list of recommended and commonly used Android devices here.

I use s7 edge with mine, have had spark now for a few weeks. I love it, make sure to use an otg cable to connect it for better range and connection. The only issue I have is that the default Samsung video player won't play my videos, so I downloaded a different video player from the app store

I use s7 edge with mine, have had spark now for a few weeks. I love it, make sure to use an otg cable to connect it for better range and connection. The only issue I have is that the default Samsung video player won't play my videos, so I downloaded a different video player from the app store

That's good to know thanks. Are you a new drone pilot? I'm toying between the spark or mavic pro but being my first proper drone I'm not sure which will be best. Been watching a lot of videos on them both! Like the fact the spark is so small but only being 1080 30p im not sure how future proof it is i.e. in 6 months will I regret not getting the Mavic which is 4k but obviously quite a bit more money.

The spark is a great drone, I'm having a ton of fun with it. I was thinking king of the mavic as well before zeroing in on the spark. I'm fine with 1080 and may upgrade one day, for now I'm very happy with my purchase. I just like the discreetness and size of the spark

I just like the discreetness and size of the spark

That's the main thing swaying me towards the spark, hopefully not to attract to much attention when out and about.

Are you finding the new app update is working fine with the phone?

I rolled back to the 4.1.15 or whatever that number was to keep using the OTG cable for stable connection, ya, and I don't like to attract too much attention

Reactions: Dale Lissett
I rolled back to the 4.1.15 or whatever that number was to keep using the OTG cable for stable connection, ya, and I don't like to attract too much attention

Good to know you can roll back on the updates. I would imagine that a new one will be on a lower firmware anyway. Think I will be making a trip to my local Costco some point next week

I have one along with an inspire 2 and a Mavic. Sparky gets flown the most due to fast deployment and ease of transporting.
I have shot some incredible pictures with it.
Get it. You won't be sorry. And the prices are great now.
But I highly recommend you get one with a remote control. Flying by phone sux.

I have one along with an inspire 2 and a Mavic. Sparky gets flown the most due to fast deployment and ease of transporting.
I have shot some incredible pictures with it.
Get it. You won't be sorry. And the prices are great now.
But I highly recommend you get one with a remote control. Flying by phone sux.

Think I've made my mind up will be going to get one some point this week. Fly more comb is down at the minute to a really good price.

Years ago, when I wanted to get into drones, the very first thing I had to "get over" or "accept" was the very real possibility I could lose my drone to a flyaway or falling out of the sky. How much money was I willing to pay for something that could do that on its very first flight?

Once I accepted that, it made it easier on me to actually enjoy flying. I'm of the opinion that people who are interested in drones are better off starting with an inexpensive 100 buck drone and learn to fly something without GPS. This doesn't mean you can't start with a Spark or Mavic or any other drone. I've got friends that jumped right in with no issues. I just prefer baby-steps.

As part of my preflight checklist, I check the surrounding area to determine what the tallest object is and set my RTH accordingly. But mine is usually set at 100 ft. I don't usually use RTH unless I've lost sight of my drone. I'll hit RTH till it comes back into view and they I'll take over. With that said, I have used RTH just to see how good it is.

Hi

New to the forum and thinking of investing in the spark for my first drone. I have be trawling the internet and watch videos on YouTube to get an understanding on how the spark works before I buy one.

One thing I've been coming across a lot, is the lack of stability with the app and android, it also make me nervous to ready about all the flyways

I do plan on flying mine when it arrives a the local farmers field until I get to know it's features. Given this I was blaming on setting the rth home at a much lower altitude than 100ft and there is now trees or housed for miles, would that course any problems with the way the spark reacts in anyway? To start with I don't like the idea of it shooting to 100ft if I get in trouble and need it to come home.

Sorry if this is a stupid question just nervous I don't want to lose my £600 drone on it's first flight.

Years ago, when I wanted to get into drones, the very first thing I had to "get over" or "accept" was the very real possibility I could lose my drone to a flyaway or falling out of the sky. How much money was I willing to pay for something that could do that on its very first flight?

Once I accepted that, it made it easier on me to actually enjoy flying. I'm of the opinion that people who are interested in drones are better off starting with an inexpensive 100 buck drone and learn to fly something without GPS. This doesn't mean you can't start with a Spark or Mavic or any other drone. I've got friends that jumped right in with no issues. I just prefer baby-steps.

As part of my preflight checklist, I check the surrounding area to determine what the tallest object is and set my RTH accordingly. But mine is usually set at 100 ft. I don't usually use RTH unless I've lost sight of my drone. I'll hit RTH till it comes back into view and they I'll take over. With that said, I have used RTH just to see how good it is.

I've had a couple of drones in the past and also helicopters so I'm hoping I have the basic knowledge to get me flying, that said knowing my look I will probably lose it on the first flight

Reactions: Sparkbart
I will probably lose it on the first flight

I lost mine on my second flight due to Pilot Error.
It was a bright sunny day, so bright that I was having a difficult time seeing the screen, so I placed a towel over my head, controller (and antennas).

Since I was in my 'FPV" world under the towel and not keeping VLOS, I didn't realize the Spark had flown behind me and got further away from me than I thought.
Next thing I know was that I lost transmission...BUT, the RTH kicked in and all is well.

I have since purchased a sun shade.:cool:

Reactions: Dale Lissett
Just got my second one. $330.00 at Target. Also going to try to control with Gamevice. Will let you know how this works.
Please let me know if you find a better deal price wise.

Just got my second one. $330.00 at Target. Also going to try to control with Gamevice. Will let you know how this works.
Please let me know if you find a better deal price wise.

I'm in the UK so won't fine a better price than that. You fancy sending 1 over to me £599 for a fly more combo hear!

Often overlooked is where can you fly the drone? In the US we have lots of "no-fly" zones and restricted areas. For instance if you live in DC, the spark wont even take off there, even in your backyard.

Often overlooked is where can you fly the drone? In the US we have lots of "no-fly" zones and restricted areas. For instance if you live in DC, the spark wont even take off there, even in your backyard.

At the minute we don't have that much restriction like you have in the US. We have no fly zones but also a lot of big spaces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio