Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

To Mavic Pro, or not to Mavic Pro

Barbara

Join
Dec 25, 2018
Loc
Algoma District, North Shore, Ontario
When the Mavic Air 2 first came out I got serious thoughts about upgrading from my Spark. It had all the features I was looking for. My excitement died when I learned that the "DJI Fly" software was not compatible with the ChrystalSky display. That was an instant deal breaker.

I bought the display because I needed something I could actually see out in bright sunshine, and thinking that I could use it if and when I wanted to upgrade my drone. Foolish me. Despite it's exorbitant cost, I still think it was worth it.

So what to do? Mavic pro 2? Way too expensive for a hobby and considering how much actual flying I do. Then I started looking at used Mavic Pros. Price is right, doesn't have all the obstacle avoidance I was looking for, but.....It does have improved flight time, a three way gimbal, and a better camera. I can also use the ChrystalSky with it. I think the three way gimbal will get rid of the jerkinness I experience when panning with the Spark. Also, it can record video at 1080 up to 90p. Useful for slow motion.

What do you all think?

B

I have been flying a mavic pro after the spark and it was a big improvement, video quality and speed are much better. However you need to pay much more attention to making good, sharp and in focus images.

Reactions: Barbara
I'd look for a MPP
Okay, thanks for the tip. I looked at the DJI site and when you ask for the specs for a MPP, it gives you the data for the Mavic Pro. What is the actual difference? Looks like a few more minutes of flying time and quieter. Both positives. Is the camera the same?

I have been flying a mavic pro after the spark and it was a big improvement, video quality and speed are much better. However you need to pay much more attention to making good, sharp and in focus images.
Sounds promising. I gather that there are many more things you can control with the Mavic's camera. I'm pretty much a novice (read dummy) when it comes to cameras and tend to use the "Automatic" mode a lot. So when you say one needs to pay more attention, is it camera settings or composing the shot/video?

Okay, thanks for the tip. I looked at the DJI site and when you ask for the specs for a MPP, it gives you the data for the Mavic Pro. What is the actual difference? Looks like a few more minutes of flying time and quieter. Both positives. Is the camera the same?

Not much difference, for me it's the 60% quieter that is main benefit, but if you want to save money just get the pro it's the same.

Refurbished

Or used

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
Not much difference, for me it's the 60% quieter that is main benefit, but if you want to say money just get the pro it's the same.
Thanks, quieter works for me too. I'm seeing a fair number on Ebay too, and they aren"t priced much different from the Pros.

We shall see....

Had same question 6 moths ago. I.m very satisfied about my Spark& Litchi. Never considered a MM. But a Spark is limited in its possibilities if you are a technical nerd. A MA2 gives value for money but for a CE citizen I should have to give up my FCC range, The new DJI fly app looks too simple compared to Litchi And it is still 1000 €.
About flytime and video quality of a MP : a flytime of about 20 minutes will do for 90 % of my needs and video quality:
My PC can‘t handle the 4 K quality and speed. 4K 60 f/m uses 400% more expensive memory than 1080 30 f/m.
2.7 K 30 f/m is best of two worlds for me.
what speaks for MP is if it’s your thing , video and photo editing is more accessible than with a spark
Anyway, I bought second hand a MP but I kept my spark.
Spark & Litchi : all the software advantages of the mavic exept some minor . Very strong build, image allways very good. Small : If I launched it by means of speaking in the middle of town, everyone thinks I ’m playing with a toy.
Within some minutes ready to fly. And as I uses it mostly while travelling, a range of about min 1200 m and a flytime of 12 minutes is more than I need .
Why a MP : Due by the surplus in weight far more stable in the air with strong winds. Flytime about 20 minutes gives me more reserve for a more complex mission. A range of about min. 2.5 km in worse conditions without any problem
max speed in P mode about 50 km/ h.
And about noise: put low noise propellers of a MPP on it.
They fit.
But heavier, gets more attraction, fragile due to the folding and 3 axis gimbal mechanism. Allways be aware you focus the camera.
So, in my experience, I need them both and I will keep them both.

Had same question 6 moths ago. I.m very satisfied about my Spark& Litchi. Never considered a MM. But a Spark is limited in its possibilities if you are a technical nerd. A MA2 gives value for money but for a CE citizen I should have to give up my FCC range, The new DJI fly app looks too simple compared to Litchi And it is still 1000 €.
About flytime and video quality of a MP : a flytime of about 20 minutes will do for 90 % of my needs and video quality:
My PC can‘t handle the 4 K quality and speed. 4K 60 f/m uses 400% more expensive memory than 1080 30 f/m.
2.7 K 30 f/m is best of two worlds for me.
what speaks for MP is if it’s your thing , video and photo editing is more accessible than with a spark
Anyway, I bought second hand a MP but I kept my spark.
Spark & Litchi : all the software advantages of the mavic exept some minor . Very strong build, image allways very good. Small : If I launched it by means of speaking in the middle of town, everyone thinks I ’m playing with a toy.
Within some minutes ready to fly. And as I uses it mostly while travelling, a range of about min 1200 m and a flytime of 12 minutes is more than I need .
Why a MP : Due by the surplus in weight far more stable in the air with strong winds. Flytime about 20 minutes gives me more reserve for a more complex mission. A range of about min. 2.5 km in worse conditions without any problem
max speed in P mode about 50 km/ h.
And about noise: put low noise propellers of a MPP on it.
They fit.
But heavier, gets more attraction, fragile due to the folding and 3 axis gimbal mechanism. Allways be aware you focus the camera.
So, in my experience, I need them both and I will keep them both.
Thanks for the observations. Sounds pretty much as I am thinking, buy a pro or pro platinum, keep the Spark.

Sounds promising. I gather that there are many more things you can control with the Mavic's camera. I'm pretty much a novice (read dummy) when it comes to cameras and tend to use the "Automatic" mode a lot. So when you say one needs to pay more attention, is it camera settings or composing the shot/video?
It's the camera settings and focus control. I made some out of focus movies. Never happened with the Spark.

It's the camera settings and focus control. I made some out of focus movies. Never happened with the Spark.

Don't you just set it to AFC (auto focus continuous) and auto exposure

Last edited:
Same question as Lannes, sort of. Were you using manual controls on the camera? I'm not familiar with what you can and cannot control with the camera on the Pro. What can be set toautomatic, like the focus, aperture etc? I could read the manual, but I find it confusing as it does not always clearly indicate which drone certain sections apply to.

As I see it ( and I use it)
A Spark is the ultimate weapon in situations where one is limited in time. You can get in the air in a few minutes, you don't have much to worry about camera settings , people in the neighboroud are thinking you're playing with a toy . So while I was waiting for a ferry last summer in Norway, took out the spark , did some footage all in a few minutes.
I knew the pics should be sharp and of good quality . All done in 10 minutes. And as you can see no one on the parking is interested in what I am doing
A MP is a bit more complicated, you have to unfold it , remove 2 gimbal protectors, ctl camera settings etc...Of course one can fly it as a Spark all automated settings .
A MP is more efficiënt if you have plenty of time . Let's say someone asks me, hey Roland , can't you make a proffesional air photo ?
Of course , but then I take my MP, look at the light situation for optimal setting saturation, sharpness, contrast, resolution . Then I have 20 minutes to make several photo's in RAW or high resolution video . After that I have to edit the pics in adobe photoshop or Premiere for video . The result will be far better than what can be done with a Spark. Only 1 difference .
Spark does it in 1 minute and my super de luxe MP pic. will take me several hours . That is I suppose it's called pro. It is not only about flying but a more tool for a photographer who has time to prepare for the ultimate picture. And I think with an air 2, MP2 or MP zoom it is the same theory.
DJI_0050.JPGDJI_0046.JPG

As I see it ( and I use it)
A Spark is the ultimate weapon in situations where one is limited in time. You can get in the air in a few minutes, you don't have much to worry about camera settings , people in the neighboroud are thinking you're playing with a toy . So while I was waiting for a ferry last summer in Norway, took out the spark , did some footage all in a few minutes.
I knew the pics should be sharp and of good quality . All done in 10 minutes. And as you can see no one on the parking is interested in what I am doing
A MP is a bit more complicated, you have to unfold it , remove 2 gimbal protectors, ctl camera settings etc...Of course one can fly it as a Spark all automated settings .
A MP is more efficiënt if you have plenty of time . Let's say someone asks me, hey Roland , can't you make a proffesional air photo ?
Of course , but then I take my MP, look at the light situation for optimal setting saturation, sharpness, contrast, resolution . Then I have 20 minutes to make several photo's in RAW or high resolution video . After that I have to edit the pics in adobe photoshop or Premiere for video . The result will be far better than what can be done with a Spark. Only 1 difference .
Spark does it in 1 minute and my super de luxe MP pic. will take me several hours . That is I suppose it's called pro. It is not only about flying but a more tool for a photographer who has time to prepare for the ultimate picture. And I think with an air 2, MP2 or MP zoom it is the same theory.

Sounds like a fair assessment. If I should pull the trigger on a new drone, I think I will keep the Spark.

Nice photos by the way. Norway is on my bucket list (mom was Norwegian) and by motorcycle would be amazing.

Last edited:
Hi Barbara,
I came from the opposite situation; I had a Mavic Pro, then was contemplating a Spark. Decided to get one ahead of my holidays and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had some difficulties with the quality of the resulting pictures, but really enjoyed flying the spark and not have to pay attention to all the camera settings. I found the short flight time a real nuisance though. In your situation, I think it will be the other way round; you'll love the extra flight time, and might be overwhelmed by all the possible settings. This might even give you a bit less joy in flying; where the Spark is a good smartphone camera that you use for "point - shoot - enjoy" photography, the Mavic Pro might be more like an entry level DSLR: "Point - should - check - modify settings - shoot again - modify again - edit result - enjoy"... Also, the quality of the images might disappoint a bit; I always found that with the Mavic Pro you have to get everything right in order to result in high quality pictures. However, when your reference for comparison is the Spark, then you might not have that issue.

Hi Barbara,
I came from the opposite situation; I had a Mavic Pro, then was contemplating a Spark. Decided to get one ahead of my holidays and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had some difficulties with the quality of the resulting pictures, but really enjoyed flying the spark and not have to pay attention to all the camera settings. I found the short flight time a real nuisance though. In your situation, I think it will be the other way round; you'll love the extra flight time, and might be overwhelmed by all the possible settings. This might even give you a bit less joy in flying; where the Spark is a good smartphone camera that you use for "point - shoot - enjoy" photography, the Mavic Pro might be more like an entry level DSLR: "Point - should - check - modify settings - shoot again - modify again - edit result - enjoy"... Also, the quality of the images might disappoint a bit; I always found that with the Mavic Pro you have to get everything right in order to result in high quality pictures. However, when your reference for comparison is the Spark, then you might not have that issue.
I think I would be keeping the Spark regardless of what I might end up purchasing in the end. But yes, it looks like the Mavics are more about the camera, something I've never really been good at. (auto has been my friend for a long time) However, I'm retired now, so I have the time to learn.

You take the words right out of my mouth. For me it started as a technical hobby, now I'm learning photography skills and editing software.
Do your footage in summer and your editing in winter time.

What do you all think of the Mavic 2 Zoom?

Very capable AC, but if you want the better camera, it's always better to go with the larger sensor therefore the M2P instead of the M2Z
They are expensive though.

Maybe a secondhand P4P might be another option

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex