Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tripod Mode

skipper20

Join
Dec 28, 2018
I'd like to try Tripod mode but I can't figure out how to enable it. My Spark user's manual says tap the icon in DJI GO 4 to enable it. Try as I might, I can't find that icon. I did have to abort a flight this past weekend as the wind was buffeting the Spark noticeably and I was concerned. Would Tripod mode have smoothed this out? Actually, I'm OK with P mode as the Spark flies smoothly in a no-wind or very light wind condition and I'm able to control it without any real problems. Is there any real advantage to be in Tripod mode? The side effects noted in the manual such as loss of GPS signal causing an increase in flight speed and no hovering in place are a bit bothersome. Especially the warning to "Use Tripod Mode carefully".

It is located in the Intelligent Flight Modes.
I think you have to be airborn to get this icon to show up on the left side of your screen.
Sport-mode must be off.

People use tripod-mode in narrow spaces and such..
Like in houses or between tree-legs in the woods.
I do not recommend flying in enviroments like mentioned unless you are experienced pilot and know your drone's strenghts and weaknesses.
Some pilots say tripod-mode is propeller-guard mode. I tend to agree..

The side effects noted in the manual such as loss of GPS signal causing an increase in flight speed and no hovering in place are a bit bothersome.
Not sure where this comment came from. There is no loss of GPS in tripod mode and Tripod mode slows down the Spark. I use it to produce smoother video sequences as the Spark tends to be over-active, especially when yawing

Reactions: weajr
Not sure where this comment came from. There is no loss of GPS in tripod mode and Tripod mode slows down the Spark. I use it to produce smoother video sequences as the Spark tends to be over-active, especially when yawing
The manual states" Only use Tripod mode when the GPS signal is strong or in light conditions ideal for the Vision System. If GPS signal is lost and the Vision System does not function, it will automatically switch to ATTI mode. In this case, flight speed will increase and the aircraft will not hover in place. Use Tripod Mode carefully"

Aha, I see - the comment is confusing. Tripod doesn't cause loss of GPS, if you lose GPS in any mode the Spark switches to ATTI. You should check for a good GPS signal for any flight.

Which page is this in the manual, I find it's not been written very clearly?

Aha, I see - the comment is confusing. Tripod doesn't cause loss of GPS, if you lose GPS in any mode the Spark switches to ATTI. You should check for a good GPS signal for any flight.

Which page is this in the manual, I find it's not been written very clearly?
It's on page 22. As you say, Tripod Mode doesn't cause loss of GPS, or any other problem. It is only a warning to users that GPS could be lost in any mode really!

One question though: flying indoors is mentioned a couple of times, but what happens when the GPS signal is weak (as it usually is indoors?)

One question though: flying indoors is mentioned a couple of times, but what happens when the GPS signal is weak (as it usually is indoors?)
The Spark will use OPTI mode but it is not recommended to fly indoors.

When you are flying indoors, your height above the ground is not much and the AC can use the bottom sensors data (camera and proximity sensor) to maintain its altitude and position. Also, since there is no wind indoors, the AC will be fairly stable.

Since Tripod Mode is being discussed, some may know this but others may not.

When in Tripod mode, you can tilt the camera up past the normal horizon and see above you a little bit.

This area of camera gimbal is reserved for the Pano and Sphere photos that the Spark takes autonomously.

Last edited:
When you are flying indoors, your height above the ground is not much and the AC can use the bottom sensors data (camera and proximity sensor) to maintain its altitude and position. Also, since there is no wind indoors, the AC will be fairly stable.
Totally agree, I've flown mine around the shop a bunch and it works really well indoors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov