Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

trying a little distance run with a spark.

Here is the files for Dashware ( I think). I had two sets. I'm pretty sure this is the set. it has a few gauges one of them being the one I used in this video. the others are pretty cool also.

Attachments

• DJILogs for Dashware 2015-10-16.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: pmshop
Just went through my files and had a little fun...
Good distance. I'll have to try for a good distance. In this video I did not go over 200 ft high and i was seating on my tailgate. I'm pretty sure i can get 12k out of it. Where i fly is flat for 3 miles. Before you run into some building. I've done some long runs with the phantom's here.

How about vertical distance - with permission from an authority to "borrow" their NOTAM.
Details in the YouTube description
"Borrow" a NOTAM?

"Borrow" a NOTAM?

Systems GO! was cleared to send their rockets up to 12,000 AGL
To video their rockets, the Systems GO! Director allowed me to fly up to 3000 AGL
With the Original NOTAM from FAA and the director's letter to DJI, they unlocked the altitude limit for my Mavic Air.

What did the FAA say about it? Whether DJI accepts it or not is really irrelevant (other than to remove the flight restriction). Afaik, your flight would have needed to be within the NOTAM specifics approved by the FAA.

Reactions: Spark 317
What did the FAA say about it? Whether DJI accepts it or not is really irrelevant (other than to remove the flight restriction). Afaik, your flight would have needed to be within the NOTAM specifics approved by the FAA.
Quite true! The NOTAM was issued by the FAA for the model aircraft/rocketry, not for your drone. These actions could very well place the club in jeopardy of ever receiving permission again. If the Systems GO! Director is not permitted to approve FAA waivers, then the flight was in absolute violation of the FAA rules. My recommendation would be to immediately remove any and all video of the flight and NOT advertise the violation, if this was completed without an FAA approved waiver! Just a suggestion! Reminder also, if you were flying on behalf of the club, you were flying under Part 107. If you are 107, you should know of the FAA restrictions.
Please DO NOT violate the rules of flight and advertise! Understand, please, the actions were in violation of FAA rules, I think the video was very nice, but the actions were wrong! If the FAA visits your YouTube, you may find yourself on the wrong end. Please do NOT advertise like that!

• Haha
There are FAA inspectors in this and many other groups. I suspect they will already have noted this flight. Not sure why it's shared here since it was done on a Mavic Air apparently.

There are FAA inspectors in this and many other groups. I suspect they will already have noted this flight. Not sure why it's shared here since it was done on a Mavic Air apparently.

It was shared here because we were discussing horizontal distance.
So I brought up vertical distance

Quite true! The NOTAM was issued by the FAA for the model aircraft/rocketry, not for your drone. These actions could very well place the club in jeopardy of ever receiving permission again. If the Systems GO! Director is not permitted to approve FAA waivers, then the flight was in absolute violation of the FAA rules. My recommendation would be to immediately remove any and all video of the flight and NOT advertise the violation, if this was completed without an FAA approved waiver! Just a suggestion! Reminder also, if you were flying on behalf of the club, you were flying under Part 107. If you are 107, you should know of the FAA restrictions.
Please DO NOT violate the rules of flight and advertise! Understand, please, the actions were in violation of FAA rules, I think the video was very nice, but the actions were wrong! If the FAA visits your YouTube, you may find yourself on the wrong end. Please do NOT advertise like that!

FAA rep was onsite and said nothing.
Purpose was to video the launches from that altitude.
from 1640, you only get less than 5 seconds of launch video.
These rockets travel at Mach 1
These are not "ESTES" rockets.

Be advised, I received zero compensation for this.
All time was volunteered by everyone involved with this project.

Director is a retired USAF Colonel.
We know what we are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phxbird57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar