Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Upgrade advice welcomed.

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
My friends. The moment has come. I am starting to think about, as the song says “Movin on up”. I have loved getting to know my Spark over the 3 years I have had it and although many of you have done loads more flights than me my main love still remains with the flying-it’s just that we live in a built up area and together with the weather we get here there are just not the opportunities to fly as much as I would like. My second love of course is the video/photographic and editing challenges/opportunities presented by our clever little machine. I have had my eye on the MA2 since It launched-it looks a superb piece of kit but with a decent load of extra bits and bobs that I can try to get my head round. The price is I think dropping a bit due presumably to its age and now might be the right time to jump. Would value your thoughts.

My friends. The moment has come. I am starting to think about, as the song says “Movin on up”. I have loved getting to know my Spark over the 3 years I have had it and although many of you have done loads more flights than me my main love still remains with the flying-it’s just that we live in a built up area and together with the weather we get here there are just not the opportunities to fly as much as I would like. My second love of course is the video/photographic and editing challenges/opportunities presented by our clever little machine. I have had my eye on the MA2 since It launched-it looks a superb piece of kit but with a decent load of extra bits and bobs that I can try to get my head round. The price is I think dropping a bit due presumably to its age and now might be the right time to jump. Would value your thoughts.
Wouldn't know where to start. There are so many options. Lower cost drones are now coming with more and more features. I am personally very satisfied with the Mini 2. I fly well without depending on Obstacle Avoidance since I know it is not there. Besides OA is not exactly foolproof when flying near thin powerlines. If your passion is photography, then the larger Air 2 might be a good choice. Try making a list of comparable features and you'll narrow in on your preference. You can't beat the portability of the Mini 2, however.

Reactions: Spark 317
I have had my eye on the MA2 since It launched-

That was my upgrade since the mini 2 wasn't available when I purchased it.

The mini 2 is an attractive upgrade since it uses the OccuSync transmission system as the MA 2 and other DJI products.

As mentioned by netfolks2000, make a list between products and pull the trigger.

The mini 1 didn't impress me with the "enhanced" Wi-Fi transmission so that wasn't an option for a Spark upgrade.

I'm happy with the MA2 and I still haven't flown it enough to get every benefit from it, but the extended flight time, distance, rock solid transmission, and overall performance of the MA2 is a better than the Spark.

The MA2 may handle the winds in your area verses the mini 2 better as it's a little more robust.

I think the hardest learning curve was the folding / unfolding of the arms of a Mavic aircraft and protecting the props during the process compared to the Spark where I just took it out out the bag and flew.

Good luck with your shopping. ?

Oh, another benefit...3 axis gimbal for smooth video capture. ?

Wouldn't know where to start. There are so many options. Lower cost drones are now coming with more and more features. I am personally very satisfied with the Mini 2. I fly well without depending on Obstacle Avoidance since I know it is not there. Besides OA is not exactly foolproof when flying near thin powerlines. If your passion is photography, then the larger Air 2 might be a good choice. Try making a list of comparable features and you'll narrow in on your preference. You can't beat the portability of the Mini 2, however.
Very helpful and just the kind of reply I was hoping for. I think the Mini is a super little bird but I am thinking I need a tad more bulk to deal with our climate here and of course the OA point-you make the observation that if you know you ain't got it you make sure you don’t bump into anything is absolutely how I would approach it. Will mull it all over but at least I have the permission from my “banker” Mrs Twickers to go ahead when ready!! More than half the battle!

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
That was my upgrade since the mini 2 wasn't available when I purchased it.

The mini 2 is an attractive upgrade since it uses the OccuSync transmission system as the MA 2 and other DJI products.

As mentioned by netfolks2000, make a list between products and pull the trigger.

The mini 1 didn't impress me with the "enhanced" Wi-Fi transmission so that wasn't an option for a Spark upgrade.

I'm happy with the MA2 and I still haven't flown it enough to get every benefit from it, but the extended flight time, distance, rock solid transmission, and overall performance of the MA2 is a better than the Spark.

The MA2 may handle the winds in your area verses the mini 2 better as it's a little more robust.

I think the hardest learning curve was the folding / unfolding of the arms of a Mavic aircraft and protecting the props during the process compared to the Spark where I just took it out out the bag and flew.

Good luck with your shopping. ?

Oh, another benefit...3 axis gimbal for smooth video capture. ?

Such good advice. The OccuSync spec is a real benefit for me as we do have a lot of weird “forces” around here that seem to affect my Spark on the odd occasion. Probably wind but there may well be something in the air as we have Europe’s biggest nuclear power station being built about 12 miles away as the crow flies! The list suggestion is what I will do although I am tilting already to the MA2. There are some draw backs I have unearthed and one of them is the Go Fly app rather than Go 4. Seems the former is not as detailed as the latter but perhaps updates have helped to sort some of that as the YT vid I watched was last Spring at launch. Watch this space!

I have unearthed and one of them is the Go Fly app rather than Go 4.

Oh it's different, but the same. ;)

Especially the Attitude indicator (radar looking screen). It seems backwards on the GoFly app. But it's one of the new things to learn and deal with unfortunately. ?

More menus with options, different locations of stuff, etc.

But once you learn to navigate the app, it's not too bad.

Reactions: hiflyer
Hope you keep your Spark...I did. Look for a bird that sticks with the GO app if that is what you are used to. Love my Zoom:)

Reactions: Spark 317
Oh it's different, but the same. ;)

Especially the Attitude indicator (radar looking screen). It seems backwards on the GoFly app. But it's one of the new things to learn and deal with unfortunately. ?

More menus with options, different locations of stuff, etc.

But once you learn to navigate the app, it's not too bad.

Got it thanks. I find new things a challenge but feel great when I have “mastered” them.

Gotta say you're right about the fun of flying the Spark, and for it's size it's FAR more stable in flight / wind than the minis.
But if you want a good camera, great signal, and very stable flight in wind, and still fairly compact, the MA2 is the best pick, it's what I'd go for if in the market now.
Thanks for this. Affirming!

MA3

MA3

The moment has come.
to buy a Air 2 :)
Sparky is hard to let go of...I have two and their not going anywhere. I guess I should sell them but I keep reading posts that say...I just flew my drone into a bridge and I'm wondering if super glue.....well you know what I mean ..but I digress.. There are so many things to love about the Air 2 that I have never even fooled around with any of the quick shots. It's very stable and I might add very fast. I always switch to slow mode to descend into my tight gusty landing area at home. I really like the FLY app and the controller in my opinion is a huge improvement. I would find the best price and go for the Air 2.

to buy a Air 2 :)
Sparky is hard to let go of...I have two and their not going anywhere. I guess I should sell them but I keep reading posts that say...I just flew my drone into a bridge and I'm wondering if super glue.....well you know what I mean ..but I digress.. There are so many things to love about the Air 2 that I have never even fooled around with any of the quick shots. It's very stable and I might add very fast. I always switch to slow mode to descend into my tight gusty landing area at home. I really like the FLY app and the controller in my opinion is a huge improvement. I would find the best price and go for the Air 2.
A very heartening view and thank you for it. Like you I haven’t really used many of the Spark’s special features-I just marvel at its aerial capabilities and its brilliant stability in tricky conditions which we get here a lot. Everything I hear about the MA2 says it’s just as solid (perhaps more so) and has a raft of photographic features which I would love to try out. Pondering!!

Hello twickers! Just read the entire thread and you recieved some great advice. I've little to add except I share your excitement over getting a new drone and upgrading the camera. For me doing the research and reading peoples reviews is a big part of getting something new. I know that you'll make the right decision and handle the learning curve. Best of luck.

Joe

Hello twickers! Just read the entire thread and you recieved some great advice. I've little to add except I share your excitement over getting a new drone and upgrading the camera. For me doing the research and reading peoples reviews is a big part of getting something new. I know that you'll make the right decision and handle the learning curve. Best of luck.

Joe
With the “team” we have on the Forum I just knew that I would get tons of help and I was not disappointed. A really wide range of views and thoughts. I have to admit that the MA2 caught my attention the moment it was launched but as I say above to SSpark in Adelaide, it is good to hear so many of you think it’s a great piece of kit. The Mini is clearly an awesome bird but I need OA, the extra bulk in our windy climate and the extra photographic capabilities that the MA2 has. Finger is hovering over the Buy Now button on Amazon!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme