Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

US trip-have I got everything?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi everyone. I know so many of you have posted really helpful things re travelling overseas on commercial aircraft with Spark kit. Can I check-have I missed anything really important?
Have a special mini-bag with cut outs for AC, RC and 2 batteries. The bag will carry all necessary extras like OTG, battery protector, range extender, prop protectors etc
Batteries x2 are run down below 50% and have terminal protectors-may buy 2 more and have special Camkix bags plus protectors for them.
All the above will be with me in hand luggage. None in the hold.
All that is left is the charger (basic 3 unit one from FMCombo). Can this go safely in my hold luggage?
I am registered with FAA (AC permanently marked clearly on top) and have printed out Virgin, Jet Blue and FAA papers on packing safe, dangerous goods and the Code of Conduct for flying in the US.
You advise not to make anything of travelling with the kit and there are no signs of drone pilot on anything I shall have visible.
Sitting here with battery 2 running down and so looking forward to getting to Florida on Wednesday.
Any glaring and obvious things missing off my list? Thanks all.

You're over-thinking this. Airlines care about batteries but only if they are over 20.000 mAh. Which translates to a fairly large powerbank. I carried my Spark, including batteries and remote, in my carry-on bag during my last trip to the states. This same bag had several spare batteries for my camera, my camera itself, a 10.000 mAh powerbank and two USB charging cables.

Reactions: RoarRoar
Just don’t want to have Spark confiscated. As you will know we have had some high profile incidents here in the UK and I am aware that drones are not everyone’s favourite hobby. Comforting to know it all worked for you.

Hi everyone. I know so many of you have posted really helpful things re travelling overseas on commercial aircraft with Spark kit. Can I check-have I missed anything really important?
Have a special mini-bag with cut outs for AC, RC and 2 batteries. The bag will carry all necessary extras like OTG, battery protector, range extender, prop protectors etc
Batteries x2 are run down below 50% and have terminal protectors-may buy 2 more and have special Camkix bags plus protectors for them.
All that is left is the charger (basic 3 unit one from FMCombo). Can this go safely in my hold luggage?
I am registered with FAA (AC permanently marked clearly on top) and have printed out Virgin, Jet Blue and FAA papers on packing safe, dangerous goods and the Code of Conduct for flying in the US.
You advise not to make anything of travelling with the kit and there are no signs of drone pilot on anything I shall have visible.
Sitting here with battery 2 running down and so looking forward to getting to Florida on Wednesday.

Nicely done. You are very well prepared.

Lots of bright sunny days here in Florida. A sun shade for your device will greatly improved the visibility of the screen.

Download AirMap, Google Earth and UAV Forecast to make the best use of your flying time.

Thanks. Yep got the sun shade, AirMap and UAV. I went on at some length in my first Post as I was pretty sure I have almost everything and as such thought it might help other pilots ahead of the holiday season. Are you using Google Earth for anything other than finding a place to fly ie can you use it in tandem with AirMap?

Reactions: Andre Levite
Thanks. Yep got the sun shade, AirMap and UAV. I went on at some length in my first Post as I was pretty sure I have almost everything and as such thought it might help other pilots ahead of the holiday season. Are you using Google Earth for anything other than finding a place to fly ie can you use it in tandem with AirMap?

I use Google Earth to find points of interest, takeoff locations and find access to remote spots. Some areas require hikes and GM is detailed enough to show trails and find parking areas. With only 10-12 minutes per battery I like to make a flight plan. It helps me determine in advance if a location is worthwhile so I don't waste a trip.

AirMap tells me if I need to call ATC. UAV tells me if too windy at altitude or cloudy. MyRadar weather shows off there's rain headed in my direction better than UAV.

Some people like to fly with hardly any planning and I can appreciate that. I enjoy the planning too and am always looking for a perfect hidden spot to fly and video.

I use Google Earth to find points of interest, takeoff locations and find access to remote spots. Some areas require hikes and GM is detailed enough to show trails and find parking areas. With only 10-12 minutes per battery I like to make a flight plan. It helps me determine in advance if a location is worthwhile so I don't waste a trip.

AirMap tells me if I need to call ATC. UAV tells me if too windy at altitude or cloudy. MyRadar weather shows off there's rain headed in my direction better than UAV.

Some people like to fly with hardly any planning and I can appreciate that. I enjoy the planning too and am always looking for a perfect hidden spot to fly and video.
Thanks Andre. Always a help.

Reactions: Andre Levite

Hi. I’m an American living in Australia for the past 20 years. I return home to the States every year at Christmas. I travel with my Sparkie in a carrying case with two batteries. I place it in my carry-on luggage. I’ve never had any problems traveling internationally or internally in America.
Relax! ?

Reactions: Multikoe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast