Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Useful info for new/prospective Spark owners - Updated Jan 14, 2018

Every time I scan the QR code on the Spark the phone tells me it's unreadable, it's quite irritating. I changed the name of the Spark and password.
Update: I lost my first Spark and bought another. This time the QR code is readable but the app keeps asking to scan the QR which is irritating.

Update: I lost my first Spark and bought another. This time the QR code is readable but the app keeps asking to scan the QR which is irritating.
I fixed this on mine by the order in which i do things.
1. Set your phone into the controllers holding arms and plug your OTG into the phone and controller. Have the phone in airoplane mode with GPS on.
2. Turn on Spark
3. Turn on controller
4. Open app.
Once I did it in this order I no longer have to scan the QR code which was taking time and driving me mad. When the app opens it goes straight to "GO FLY"

Last edited:
Coming back to "Fly High from Above" 's remark: "Each time I connect the drone to the remote control unit it takes time and asks for me to re register the remote' s id. This takes time. And battery life as well. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to skip that process?"

Having the Spark Combo, I fly with the RC from the beginning and had no problems with connecting the devices. Then I tested to fly with my Android phone only - thus without the RC. Since then I'm forced to go through that registration procedure too. No idea how to avoid that, but what I do now is to first establish the WiFi connection between the RC and the phone, and only than open the DJI G0 4 app. No more questions about registration procedures!

Still not ideal, but easier that going through the registration procedure every time again.

This is likely the phone preferring the spark ssid vs the remote. If using iOS you should ask it to forget it and it will look/prefer the remote only. The remote should be the top ssid as if it’s on, you prob want your device to connect to it. I’d leave the spark completely out unless you are connecting directly.

Feb 3 update: I have flown 1 more time since this post. I powered on the drone well before the remote and got the message. I cycled power on the remote and it went away, so it doesn’t appear to be the drone. Any thoughts?
I always turn the controller on first, then the Spark,and last the device I'm using to fly with it!

Has that QR code actually worked for anybody anywhere ever? :D.
Not Ever for me and it took me three weeks of many wasted hours trying to sync things right. I think there are a few TIPS that I found I have to offer on issues dealt with along the way:
1- Close all the background apps on your phone
2- shut off wi-fi on all other phones and computers in your household, or at least other phones that you might have put the DJI Go4 app on. ( I had it on both an iPhone and galaxy Note and couldn’t sync if both were on and open).
3. Write down your serial numbers and passwords for the drone and especially the RC. I found that after a very short time of using of the RC, my fingers had erased the QR code and password on the underside of the RC completely.
4. I had to reload and refresh the firmware several times from the Assistant 2 app (get from DJI site).
5. Know that it often takes 1-3 full minutes for the drone and RC to go green.

So for me, the first month of dealing with these sync problems had me getting an RMA and having the box ready to ship back to China. Fortunately, a sliver more of my reserve tank of perseverance paid off as now I have a deeper understanding of the syncing process and in the last two months, other than a bit of anxiety waiting for the green light, it connects consistently; and I just love flying this thing. Hope this helps.

Not Ever for me and it took me three weeks of many wasted hours trying to sync things right. I think there are a few TIPS that I found I have to offer on issues dealt with along the way:
1- Close all the background apps on your phone
2- shut off wi-fi on all other phones and computers in your household, or at least other phones that you might have put the DJI Go4 app on. ( I had it on both an iPhone and galaxy Note and couldn’t sync if both were on and open).
3. Write down your serial numbers and passwords for the drone and especially the RC. I found that after a very short time of using of the RC, my fingers had erased the QR code and password on the underside of the RC completely.
4. I had to reload and refresh the firmware several times from the Assistant 2 app (get from DJI site).
5. Know that it often takes 1-3 full minutes for the drone and RC to go green.

So for me, the first month of dealing with these sync problems had me getting an RMA and having the box ready to ship back to China. Fortunately, a sliver more of my reserve tank of perseverance paid off as now I have a deeper understanding of the syncing process and in the last two months, other than a bit of anxiety waiting for the green light, it connects consistently; and I just love flying this thing. Hope this helps.
WOW mine is up and ready to fly in less than a minute from start.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Australia has a site setup by the Civil Aviation people (CASA) with the simplified rules (Droneflyer | Recreational drone rules and regulation). There is also an app (Can I Fly There) in iOS and Android similar to what the UK have. Despite a lot of efforts by CASA I still meet drone flyers who are unaware that there are ANY rules. A problem I think.
Yes , there are alot of people up here in Queensland that havent got a clue about drone rules , the person who got me interested in drone didnt even know the height rules , and has been flying his drone well over and into the mid 200 mtr range , I've put him straight now but if he listens or not is another thing.

Reactions: Bugalugs11
Excellent information, Thanks. I had just watched both videos just before I found this forum, seems like a pretty good day for tracking new info.

Yeah I have exactly the same problem. Everytime I want to fly I have to scan the back of the rc qr code. I got the fly more combo so was under the impression that the spark and rc would automatically pair each time

I have the fly more package and never have to scan the QR code. When I start up I start remote first and make sure my phone connects to it via wifi then only when I have that connection do I start the spark. I usually have to do the function, right button, camera function button to get the green light lock but usually have no problems getting the spark and remote connected to each other and ready to fly.

Excellent post. Im still looking for my first Spark, as DJIs refurbished fly more combo is on perpetual backorder.

Read the manual

Yeah, it’s boring and you want answers NOW! But, many of the questions new owners ask on here have already been answered numerous times. But, more importantly - when you’re out flying and something goes wrong you won’t have time to post on here and wait for an answer. You have a better chance of saving your drone if you read the manual

-----------

I certainly agree with the above comment from the OP, but I would add two things:
  1. At about 56 pages, the manual is actually too short (maybe by half) and there are things that should be in there that are not. You have to dig thru forums, youtubes etc. for stuff that should have been clearly explained in the manual.
  2. IMO, parts of the manual are poorly written by author(s) who lack the necessary English language skill required to describe a complex machine.

I have a technical background (including technical writing) and yet it wasn't easy for me to put all the info together so that I was reasonably confident enough to lift off. Now I'm having a great time with an excellent AC, but I would imagine this all is overwhelming for some Spark buyers.
Totally agree

Reactions: bunnermike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme