Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video feed lagging...

shawnski451

Join
Dec 3, 2017
Anyone been having latency problems with the wifi video feed in cold weather? I usually fly without otg with great success but seems like it's been pretty bad lately for some reason. Anyone else been having this issure?

Last edited:
Not sure what effect low ambient temperatures could have on video (I live in Florida). Have you tried it with OTG cable to see if the lag is diminished? I always fly with OTG as it reduces the likelihood of WiFi interference.

OTG is only going to make the communication better between the controller and the mobile device.
Try changing the frequency & channel using manual setting to one that has no red or better yet, green.
If you are in the US, I recommend 5.8gHz

Reactions: jrhoffman75
Just a guess, but the issue may be related to your mobile itself in cold weather. It could be regulating it's power draw to the point where it's effecting video performance. If you have any power save options enabled on your phone turn them off before flying.

Reactions: I B Spectre
So... I figured it out. I hooked the OTG cable up from the comtroller to my new Moto G7 phone and all lag is pretty much gone. I try the WIFI and it's absolutely useless. There is absolutely No way you can fly the spark using the wifi because the image is total trash and the lag is about 5-8 seconds. I never had this problem before.

Well, I start thinking about it and I used to fly the spark using the WiFi controller to phone connection using my old Moto G5. So I grab the old G5 and fire it back up, connect to the controller using WIFI (no OTG) and there is virtually no lag. Wth. I disconnect the old Moto G5 and try the new Moto G7 and all of the lag and garbled image was back.

So, it looks like it's the wifi on my new phone. Kinda crappy if you ask me.

Anyone else ever see this?

Last edited:
Reactions: I B Spectre
Despite what the marketeers say, newer is not always better. For what it's worth, DJI's list of compatible devices has changed from time to time with some devices that were previously listed having been removed for whatever reason. Glad to see using OTG with your G7 gets you going. Seems the general consensus is there's no reason not to fly with OTG all the time.

I agree... Just don't understand why these manufacturers have to mess with anything that works fine the way it is. Anyways, even tho the OTG is definitely better, maybe I'll repurpose my old G5 specifically for Spark Flight duty only...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef